Gastric Sleeve and Metabolism

Options
Modern_athena
Modern_athena Posts: 81 Member
edited August 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey mfps. Two months ago, I had a gastric sleeve surgery and lost a lot of weight (24.5 kg or 54 lbs). However, I'm barely eating. I usually eat 600-800 kcal and that's by forcing myself to eat. The highest I've reached is 1000 kcal. Yesterday, I passed out in the supermarket because I forgot to eat breakfast and take my supplements. I'm mostly afraid of damaging my metabolism. My dietitian told me that it's not about calories for me, it's about how much my stomach can handle. What should I do? Should I force myself to eat more? As for exercise, I'm only walking at this point because my body can't handle it right now. I'm waiting till I reach 90 kg which is over 20 kg away.

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the medical advice you are given but you need to be taking the supplements they provided. If you don't you stand a much higher chance of losing hair, teeth etc.
    Can you ask them if water/pool walking would be ok? That would take the stress of your joints and maybe allow you to walk a bit further. Good luck with your journey :)
  • sarahslayer
    sarahslayer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    don't worry about the number of calories. this is your golden phase where the sleeve is allowing the weight to really slide off. try to make sure that the little that you do eat is healthy. lean proteins, veggies, fruits, whole grains (yada yada yada). I ate similar calories at first but did not feel even close to fainting so please make sure to have a medical work up to make sure there isn't something else going on medically. And stay hydrated. Drink water about 30 min or so before you try to eat.
  • EmeryRuin
    EmeryRuin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above replys. This is the time to lose the weight while you still have the restrictions. Follow your doctors instructions and take your vitamins. For me 6 small meals a day with a focus on protein intake worked. At 2 months out I was probably also at 600-800 calories. The passing out maybe due to not enough fluids, at least that's what my dr told me when I complained about it. I've since made the correlation that if I don't drink enough fluids I feel faint and that's even now.

I walked, but didn't start any cardio or strength training till 5 months out. Dec will be 2 years out and I wish I still had the same restrictions. I eat about what I want to eat and average around 1500-1800 calories/day and would love to lose another 20 lbs.
    Good luck with your journey!