Any tips for focusing on macros?

Options
Hi all,
I've done pretty well while focused on clean eating and exercise but I'm wanting to get to the next level of fitness. I'm thinking about starting to focus more on macros. Any resources, tips, or tricks your recommend? Any personal experiences or successes you'd like to share? Thanks!

Replies

• Bxqtie116
    Bxqtie116 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Pick one particular macro and work on hitting that. If it's protein, increase that. If it carbs, limit those foods that can put you over. I wouldn't worry too much about hitting your macros everyday, so long as you stay within your calories. But if it's something you want to do, look over your diary and see where you can make adjustments.
  • AmyRosebud1984
    AmyRosebud1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Thank you!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,448 Member
    Options
    Everyone has a different opinion on these things, but personally I shoot for
    • a minimum of 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy body weight (more is fine, within reason),
    • a minimum of .35g of fat per pound of healthy body weight, with a good bit of that from healthy sources (nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, etc.), and some that have omega-3s (more fat is fine, within reason)
    • at least 25g of fiber (more is fine as long as it doesn't cause you digestive distress),
    • 5+ servings of varied fruits and vegetables so that I get a range of micronutrients (I usually eat 10+ servings in practice, 'cause yummy ;) ),
    • some probiotics (like live-culture yogurt, fermented veggies like sauerkraut/kim chi, etc.) and pre-biotics (mostly fibrous veggies) to encourage healthy gut bacteria.
    I strive to get the above, then let the carbs fall where they may, within my calorie goal.

Like I said, others will differ.

Diary review is a powerful tool when working to improve macros. Log what you eat, then review periodically looking for foods that don't contribute enough nutrition, tastiness, or satiation for their calories. Reduce or eliminate those foods, replacing them with foods you enjoy that better meet your goals.

Over time, you'll reach a way of eating (WOE) that you find tasty, nutritious, and satisfying.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    What is really hard to do is to compensate for a shortage at the end of the day if you have already hit your calorie target. So have a priority list. Mine is calorie target first, protein minimum second.

I also work at having a balanced macro at every meal and snack. Celery with laughing cow. Apple with cheddar. Edamame with hot sauce. That sort of thing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I focus on protein (and fiber) and carbs and fat take care of themselves. When I consider making a new meal or snack, especially one that does not include meat, I usually take a look at the protein content before I finalize what I'm making, and tweak as necessary.

I don't do this every time, but I have learned that it's in my best interest to do so, as protein (and fiber) keep me fuller longer.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Specific macros are goal dependent. You say you want to reach the "next level of fitness" but what does that mean to you. For some that might mean running a marathon, others might say deadlifting 2x bodyweight, while still others might say having 6 pack abs. What are your specific goals and what kind of training are you doing? This will help with setting macros.
  • AmyRosebud1984
    AmyRosebud1984 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Everyone has a different opinion on these things, but personally I shoot for
    • a minimum of 0.6-0.8g protein per pound of healthy body weight (more is fine, within reason),
    • a minimum of .35g of fat per pound of healthy body weight, with a good bit of that from healthy sources (nuts, seeds, avocados, olive oil, etc.), and some that have omega-3s (more fat is fine, within reason)
    • at least 25g of fiber (more is fine as long as it doesn't cause you digestive distress),
    • 5+ servings of varied fruits and vegetables so that I get a range of micronutrients (I usually eat 10+ servings in practice, 'cause yummy ;) ),
    • some probiotics (like live-culture yogurt, fermented veggies like sauerkraut/kim chi, etc.) and pre-biotics (mostly fibrous veggies) to encourage healthy gut bacteria.
    I strive to get the above, then let the carbs fall where they may, within my calorie goal.

Like I said, others will differ.

Diary review is a powerful tool when working to improve macros. Log what you eat, then review periodically looking for foods that don't contribute enough nutrition, tastiness, or satiation for their calories. Reduce or eliminate those foods, replacing them with foods you enjoy that better meet your goals.

Over time, you'll reach a way of eating (WOE) that you find tasty, nutritious, and satisfying.

Thank you for all that detail!! I really appreciate it.
  • oann8052
    oann8052 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Low carb high fat making sure with my macros that I keep my carbs low 50g or less, fat at 70-75% and protein at 25% since I am older and menopausal I've found others have been successful at this way of eating. I'm also working out with weights and cardio together doing it old school "The Firm" dvd's and some prevention ones thrown in for variety concentrating more on muscle building than cardio since the weight training gets my heart rate up pretty good :) so far in two days scales gone done 2lbs ( although I know this is just water weight it's still exciting to see that scale move sadly must admit I'm addicted to that monster but try to force myself to only weigh every 3 to 5 days since knowing this WOE doesn't always show in weight loss but inches as well and who doesn't love to eat bacon? Yum! ) Whatever you choose I wish you much success!