• sandflower81
    sandflower81 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Magnesium Citrate

• littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    socajam wrote: »
    Oh, my fiber intake has been around 35-40 a day, which is pretty normal for me and should be ok, right?

That's kind of a lot.

My fiber gets close to 50 grams some days

That's a lot too

• tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try some yoga poses. The gentle twisting and stretching might help move the gas along.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The less food we eat the less there is for the bowels to work over. The whole system can slow down. Besides the advice suggested above, make sure you are getting enough oil/fats in your diet (grease things along). Bulking up with popcorn can help too.
  • Merrycherryo
    Merrycherryo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Maybe you've got food sensitivities, or something not working right in your body. I had bad gas pains and bloating, and it turns out I had acute pancreatitis. Try several small meals throughout the day and give your doctor a visit. Good luck!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I eat a good amount of soy, and take Beano with meals. That helps quite a bit. However ... When my gall bladder was going out on me, I thought it was food poisoning. When I had an inguinal hernia, I thought I was developing lactose intolerance or sensitivity to soy. First thing I'd do is check with your doctor to make sure there isn't something else going on. Sometimes symptoms represent something other than the obvious.
  • plantbasedparty
    plantbasedparty Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    May be a good idea to see your doctor! However I had a lot of trouble with this when I first went vegan as I was eating way more fibre than I had been before I went vegan, since I was eating more beans and stuff that I didn't eat very often before. I got "complete digestive enzymes" from the health food store, they're cheap and seem to do the trick for me when I have stomach pains/gas after eating.
  • claraoswold
    claraoswold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Ouch.

For your immediate relief you might try some beano or pepto. Stop the pain is first priority. Then try to identify what exactly is causing the problem. Try stopping individual aspects, maybe cut down on your fiber. And perhaps more fats could help. Olives and nuts are wonderful.
  • Electric_Warfare
    Electric_Warfare Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Spose you eat alot of beans, lentals and that weird processed meat flavoured vegan stuff ?
    All likely to cause bad gas.

Do you have a problem with vegans?

Only when they fart at the gym

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    There's a vegan version of beano, can't remember what it's called though. Still baffles me why they would put animal products in something most likely to be wanted by people trying not to eat animals.

That's kind of a stretch, to say that people who eat beans and broccoli are probably trying not to eat animals.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Laying on my stomach, relieves the pressure & thus makes my house smell awful!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yoga pose downward dog usually does the trick. Gas bubbles to the highest point!
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Update: I put a couple drops of peppermint oil on a teabag before brewing the tea, and the pain basically disappeared within a few minutes of drinking it. I think I figured out why it only recently started. I used to eat lots of peppermint candies and I stopped because they were lots of sugar and calories. I will keep drinking tea with peppermint in it and I think that should solve the issue.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Update: I put a couple drops of peppermint oil on a teabag before brewing the tea, and the pain basically disappeared within a few minutes of drinking it. I think I figured out why it only recently started. I used to eat lots of peppermint candies and I stopped because they were lots of sugar and calories. I will keep drinking tea with peppermint in it and I think that should solve the issue.
    I drink peppermint tea for stomach distension and upset and it works wonders.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Great!!!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    corgicake wrote: »
    There's a vegan version of beano, can't remember what it's called though. Still baffles me why they would put animal products in something most likely to be wanted by people trying not to eat animals.

Gas is fairly universal, I don't think beano is any more likely to be used by vegans than not :neutral:
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thank you for this post! I need to buy some peppermint tea/oil. :)
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    more fiber more water
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I forgot to say in my info about the low fodmap diet that you need to make sure you are getting enough soluble fiber. Soluble fiber is much easier on our GI tract and feeds good bacteria. Insoluble fiber is harder on our GI tracts. So, try to choose fruits and veggies that have a higher soluble to insoluble fiber ratio. And cooking the veggies helps a ton to make them more digestible and bioavailable! Also eating fermented foods if you can tolerate them. Such as good quality kefir and raw sauerkraut. Fermented veggies like sauerkraut are also easier to digest than just raw cabbage.
  • Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Having spent time on c-section ward I can agree peppermint is a miracle cure!