Grocery store dysfunction

Options

Replies

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I log my dinner first thing in the morning, save back about 100 calories for a nighttime snack (not always needed) and go from there. If I want some M&Ms, I have to have room for them.
  • natalia50ish2014
    natalia50ish2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks this was so helpful

• ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice!
    Here's my routine:
    1) quick check of flyers for sale items on foods I like (fruits,veggies, lean meats) on Thursday.
    2) I decide what meals I am going to make during the week on Friday.
    3) Saturday, I run to my 2 fave markets with food list on phone. When I get home, I cook a batch or 2 of meals, logging them in MFP recipes. Then I portion out my meals into Tupperware.
    4) on Sunday, I cook a roast or chicken breasts for sandwich meat and to put into my salads.

I love being able to get up at 5 to head for gym and I can just grab the containers out of fridge.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I tend to mostly shop the perimeter: produce, meats, seafood, dairy. I occasionally wander to the frozen veggie section to pick up things to have on hand.

And like seska422 said: make a list.

Agreed! And I only go into the inner isles for tea, coffee and nuts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I plan my meal and make a list.

Also don't buy into the 'low carb' or 'gluten free' fads. Just eat less food.
  • Tharpgirl
    Tharpgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm new here , I'm 30 pounds over weight . I'm over whelmed , im trying to use this for the first time the only thing that has worked for me is a eating 12 steps . I have had some great issues I need to be secure to think other programs and my own accountability will work or I feel doomed . Being honest
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree with having a plan before you go. If you're having issues with fad diet rules, then shopping the perimeter isn't going to be a good approach either. It's just another arbitrary "clean" eating food rule that doesn't mean much and can be thrown on the pile of confusion. All of the breads, legumes, pastas, vinegars, and various staples are in the center aisles of most stores, and no reason to give up any of those things.
    Just find a couple of recipes that sound good for the week, and go shop for those things. Look for what's on sale and maybe that will help inspire you, too.
    Having a plan is 3/4th of the battle, especially if you do it for the whole week. I know by Friday evening exactly what I'm having for breakfast, lunch, and dinner the following week, shop for the necessary items on Saturday, and do cooking and prep on Sunday. Then I just prelog everything for the week and I'm good to go. No muss, no fuss. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I have been on so many different diets , no carbs, low carbs, pale, gluten free etc so now when I go in the grocery store I don't know what to buy or do from years of dysfunctional eating. Any suggestions on how to shop functionally instead of dysfunctional?

I'm not sure what you mean by dysfunctional shopping. There are no special foods necessary to weight loss, all that is required to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

Pre-plan what foods you would like to eat for the week and buy them, just eat less of them. :)

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    What's all this about "perimeter" and "centre aisles"? Do American supermarkets have standardised aisle layouts or something? They're all different here.

Officially, no, but I'd say 99% of markets I've seen will have produce, fruits, vegetables, dairy and meats around the outside walls and canned and boxed goods in the center. So in other words, most American markets have fresh foods on the outside perimeter and processed foods in the middle.

And this.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I have been on so many different diets , no carbs, low carbs, pale, gluten free etc so now when I go in the grocery store I don't know what to buy or do from years of dysfunctional eating. Any suggestions on how to shop functionally instead of dysfunctional?

I'm not sure what you mean by dysfunctional shopping. There are no special foods necessary to weight loss, all that is required to lose weight is a calorie deficit.

Pre-plan what foods you would like to eat for the week and buy them, just eat less of them. :)

I read "dysfunctional shopping" as not being able to match content of shopping cart with what you (need to make the meals you) want to eat. I struggled with this for years, probably for much of the same reasons the OP does; even though I've just been on slightly restrictive low fat diets, I felt compelled to shop for certain foods and shun all the others. I didn't know what to do with lots of the ingredients I bought, or I didn't want to eat/use them once they were placed in my fridge, so I ate junk food and readymeals instead, and had weekly garbage routines which consisted of emptying fridge of rotten produce :(

Meal planning with focus on letting myself eat whatever the hell I want, that also makes me feel good, and writing and following shopping lists to make that plan turn into reality - yeah, that is functional shopping :D
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You need a routine. That makes shopping and cooking easier, and it is much better for your calorie budget AND your financial budget.

You need to meal plan, shop for that plan, and stay out of food stores when you don't have a plan and a list.

I shop Saturday mornings - get it all out of the way. (You can, obviously, pick any time. But try to make it regular to build the habit).
    The night before, I sit down with a notebook and the family calendar. I list the days of the upcoming week on a sheet of paper and i note what activities family members have that might affect dinner (late day at work means not wanting to cook, an event at school means we have to eat early).

I put a meal in every slot. Not a "recipe" meal every night, but "what will we eat?"
    This lets me balance the meals across the week. I spread out meat vs. meatless, richer food vs. plainer food, etc.

I plan for leftovers at this point: If we're having grilled pork tenderloin, I plan to grill extra chicken breasts to be eaten cold, on salad, in another meal. I also plan to cook extra to set aside for lunches - make enough soup to take a cup to lunch a few times.

I write down all the things I need for that list of meals. Then I add all the non-planned meals. We each eat one or two possible breakfasts, so I add that. The kids have a standard packed lunch of sandwich, apple, etc, so I add that.

(I put the whole list into the handy app my grocery store has, which sorts it by aisle and shows me how much it will cost, but that's a totally optional step).

I go to the grocery store with my notebook and buy ONLY what is on the list.
    IF I see an awesome deal or some seasonal thing I forgot about? I might swap it out - but I write down on my list what I have done and what meal it is replacing. ("Found fresh ripe figs! Make tomato-fig salad in place of caprese.")

You don't have to put the meals to specific days, but you really need to shop with specific meals in mind. There have been times when I jsut made a list of "here are 7 meals" and we'd pick off the list until they were gone. But having an order allows you to plan for leftovers.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP's post is 2.5 months old. She's probably got it figured out by now, although I'd be interested in a report back if she's around.

It's funny--I've never thought of shopping as something stressful or difficult and I never even notice the items I am not planning to buy. I kind of hate shopping, so with everything (this is really helpful for Christmas shopping!) I tend to go in with a plan and buy only what I want and not wander through the aisles. (I also shop frequently and use a basket, not a cart, as I have to carry everything home on foot.) I pop in, check out if there's anything I want to supplement my fruits and veg with, grab whatever it is I came in for (sometimes a list of things) and get out of there as fast as possible. Some of the stuff I want is on the perimeter (the fruits and veg aren't, in their own section instead in my mainstream grocery), some is not, almost every time. Wandering around either wouldn't necessarily help me out and, of course, writing off one whole section of the grocery store as off limits would not be useful. I find those "tips" about how to shop weird and entirely unhelpful.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I’m prone to picking up anything and everything that sounds good at the moment, and end up with a cart full of stuff that doesn’t go together to form actual meals, or doesn’t fit into my calorie/macros goals at all. I have to plan my meals ahead of time and have a list of everything I need to complete the recipes I plan to make that week. I’ve also found online grocery shopping very helpful for me. I can have my grocery list written out, go to our grocery store’s website, type in everything on that list and schedule a time to pick it all up – thus avoiding all the “afterthought” impulse buys and keeping my groceries full of stuff I need for the food I have planned and accounted for, and keeping me under budget for food. This has made a huge difference in how I eat. I’m not depriving myself of particular foods (we still get what some might consider “junk” from those pesky inner-aisles), but it helps me to stick to planning and keeping to my meals for the week. If you have the option to do this, I’d give it a shot and see if it makes it easier for you!
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Peapod. Its like MFP food tetris, on the supply side
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Typically, I'll go to the grocery store to do some research. I'll look at the things that I'd like to eat, their calories per serving, and the number of servings per container. I'll build my meal plan around that, and then I'll know the exact number that I have to buy for the week. I go back to the store, buy that and only that. And boom, I have my whole week set. I'm creeping up on week 2 of this method and so far so good. Plan on doing it again for my 3rd week.
  • ironhajee
    ironhajee Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Maybe Pick out a few recipes for the week...

Example "On Thursday I am going to make chicken stir fry and then Friday or Saturday I can do leftovers"

"On Sunday I will do Lasagna"

Just examples of course, sticking to the CICO (calories in calories out) pick the recipe meals that you enjoy most and you'll find weight loss to be a walk in the park!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the stores adapt to our shifting demands too. Two local major chains renovated to put their produce section right at the front entrance.

Two aisles I will browse for new products are the international aisle full of Asian delights (I discovered dried mushrooms and chickpeas in bulk), and the Organic/Gluten free aisle. That's where I found Glutino wafer cookies and rye flour.

I notice the prepared cereal aisle is shrinking; my guess from reduced demand. The yogurt section has exploded with choices.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is key!! I make my lunches for the week on Sundays (lettuce mix, 4 oz protein, seeds or nuts & fruit). Dinners are steak/fish/pork/shrimp/chicken with green veggie broccoli/green beans/asaparagus and a small side of brown rice/beans/pasta. And snacks of greek yogurt/fruit/hummus. I try to vary the recipies, but the basics and the shopping list are the same week after week.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the stores adapt to our shifting demands too. Two local major chains renovated to put their produce section right at the front entrance.

Every store I go to has produce at the entrance, and have as long as I can remember.

The store we went to as a kid had lots of entrances, so that wasn't the case (it depended on which entrance you used, which depended on where you parked), but I think it would have been hard to miss the produce anyway -- my mom always went there first.

I never impulse buy at a grocery store and I don't even go into most of the aisles (I go into a number of them, because it's simply ridiculous to claim that we should avoid them -- there's lots of non "junk" stuff there even if one avoids "junk"). Thus, I couldn't tell you whether the amount of cold cereal has increased or shrunk. (I am sure the type of neighborhood makes a difference too.) The varieties of ice cream have increased a lot, I know -- lots more small brands and more non-dairy.