What do you prefer WW or My fitness pal? Seems silly to ask now that I type it

Options
Hmayse
Hmayse Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2016 in Getting Started
Hey y'all! So I've been a member for a while now and sadly haven't done anything with it! I have logged my weight loss and occasionally tracked my meals. I have been a member of Weight Watchers since February and have lost 22.2lbs and while that's a good loss I've seem to all but run out of steam on WW. So I figured I'd jump on here and give My Fitness pal a chance! I really enjoy the community with WW and will be sad to see it go, so you can imagine how happy I was to find a community in this group!! So here's my questions: have you tried other tracking/weight loss apps? If so what's your experience been? Which do you prefer? I'd love to have some encouragement along the way and give encouragement to others if you're looking for friend don't be shy just say Hi ( ok that's cheesy! But I don't have anything better so it's staying)

Replies

• she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    A lot of people on my friend list here use them together and find it works for them
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    ive done ww....had some success on it, but it is kind of expensive....always ended up quitting, since i thought i could do it myself. I am here and on day 50...longest ive stuck to anything in awhile. make some friends and log everything you eat. i like using the calories rather than points....less conversion necessary....and the phone app is fabulous...you can log anything, anywhere....i was in a restaurant the other day just inputting my food because it was so handy. I also like that I can eat whatever I want as long as i count it accurately. ive upped my calorie limit to include exercise, as i find the higher limit makes me feel more successful....and feeling good about yourself is an important part of this....the better you feel, the more you will stick to it. my fabulous friends also keep me motivated...i enjoy reading about successes and struggles...feel free to add me! im in this for the long haul (90ish lbs to go).
  • Trailtramper74
    Trailtramper74 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I refer MFP for the options and variety of friends.
  • melodyesch
    melodyesch Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I do MFP and count calories, but I also am a member of my at-work WW just for the support. I really think the in-person support I get, plus the accountability of weighing in each week has only been a help for me. There is a core group of people who are there each week and are really supportive. But then, my work will pay for WW for 6 months per 5% you lose, so WW is really costing me nothing. But honestly, if I had to pay for it myself I probably would still go since I'm finding it so motivating and helpful. You CAN use both.
  • jdub9577
    jdub9577 Posts: 4 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I just joined MFP from WW too!!! Also feel the same about the community, thrilled to find one on here. One question though. I have my weekly weight that I've been tracking and want to load it onto MFP but can't figure out how, anyone know? Please and thanks!

*update - found it!
    Hope to like this as much as I liked WW! Good luck to you!!!
  • soniajacobs2014
    soniajacobs2014 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi. I too just joined weight watchers, but really like MFP as well. I am well intended, but really struggling to get going. I would love to team up to both add and receive support.
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    In the past I've done WW, SW(Slimming World) and MFP.
    Had success with all 3, but then the motivation goes, or I get bored with the plan, or life happens and the weight losses stop and it starts to go back on.

Currently I am just back from being off track for a while, back from holiday and ready to be good.
    Planning on doing MFP, as I like the online-ness of it and the very logical calorie counting (I'm a maths geek and like to have numbers to count)
    I have in the past done MFP along side the others, but don't really want the expense, as I intend to use the £20ish a month WW/SW fees towards going to the local pool instead, and maybe possibly the gym.

WW, SW and MFP all work if you follow the plan and stick to it, it's what's right for you, and your frame of mind that are important.

I find having friends on here really helps with the motivation. People above me in this thread, expect a friend request :)
  • SJGrobler
    SJGrobler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is the first time I've been on the MFP community. I did WW for a while, and decided to go back the other day, only to discover that the online community thread was gone. I was devastated! Please add me to this group. Not sure I'll know that I have been added, so hopefully I will get a message or something??
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I've done something similar to WW, and I totally prefer the straightforward, no-nonsense, bare-bones, rational approach MFP has. The community is also more straightforward, no-nonsense and rational, but with a great sense of humor. I used to lose and gain weight; now I've finally found something that works for me.
  • reneinitaly
    reneinitaly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I did WW for years, online version being here in Italy. Then the program changed and I could not afford the price. I have been logging breakfast and lunch here, but suffer terribly from lazy-itis in the evening.I would love to have a go to place here and to make some new friends
  • Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Reneinitaly, I also suffer from lazy-itis in the evening. For that reason I try to be organised and meal plan. I already know what I am cooking for dinner tonight (Yaki udon), so I have logged it already. It also means I am finishing work knowing how many spare calories I have today, and I find that helps me to rationally decide between using them on a treat or saving them for extra weight loss.

Feel free to send me a friend request
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    I've never done WW. I don't want to spend the money and I'm not really sure if there is an active WW in my community so I'd be doing it online anyway. I did start mfp a few years ago and never really did much with it. I tracked a few meals here and there but never got serious until Sept. 2015. Something just clicked and I knew I really wanted to lose the weight and keep it off. I started logging (and weighing my food) and walking every day. I discovered the forums and started reading a lot. It just really worked for me this time. I like having friends on here but I also like the anonymity of the internet. So even if mfp didn't work for you before, it can still work. I think that sometimes you just have to be in the right frame of mind to put in the work to lose the weight.
  • sea1963
    sea1963 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had been on WW but was so disappointed by their decision to get rid of the community that I canceled my subscription. I decided to give MFP a try so here I am. So far I'm really liking it...especially the community.
  • erikarunsforherlife
    Options
    I have done WW a number of times, but the last switch in points values blew it for me. It's like a reward for protein and punishment for carbs, and with my strict kidney diet it's almost impossible to eat enough. I think in general it works. I've lost weight on it before. But you can't argue with free lol.
  • reneinitaly
    reneinitaly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Kathrynha77, I sent you a friend request...
    If anyone else wants to buddy up, please send me a friend request...the more the merrier :-)
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I prefer, and recommend, MFP over WW. For one simple reason.

MFP TEACHES you want to eat. WW TELLSyou want to eat.

So when you go out with friends/family or your away from your WW meal plan you can still make wise decision.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Never used WW not even sure what it is.. MFP has been great to work with.
  • ttscro74
    ttscro74 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've just come to the end of my 3 month Monthly Pass with ww...haven't been for the last 3 weeks due to birthdays/anniversary etc but lost 1st 2lb in that time. I signed up with ww before I was made redundant so can't really afford it anymore, plus eating out is a nightmare, nobody seems to be able to tell you the values of well known restaurants (even Harvester) lol! I joined mfp 2 years ago but forgot about it when I went off on a tangent (several times whoops!)....I remembered it the other day and have even managed to get hubby and a friend to join in.
  • brandongunner713
    brandongunner713 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've done both WW and MFP... WW has been in my arsenal for 20+ years and MFP for the past 5. I believe that there are benefits of both depending on budget, mindset and your relationship with food. Most recently, in 2009-2010, I lost 65 pounds with WW. I have since kept it off with the exception of a floating 10 pounds that comes and goes. WW does get expensive, if you are on it for a long period of time, and do not hit lifetime. The online version is an option to make it more affordable, but then you do lose the meetings and support that provides. For me, most recently, I've been doing MFP mainly as a way to keep a food journal, awareness of my eating and to combat the 10 "floating" pounds I referred to above (I do not want 10 to turn in to 20 - 30 - etc.!!). What I love about MFP is the nutrition pie chart that helps me see WHERE my calories are coming from and the summary when I finish each day (example: in five weeks, you'll weigh ____). This provides good feedback for me. Recently, because I was bored and not making great food choices, I joined WW (again) online. Specifically, I felt I needed to get my sugar/treats in check. I was shocked to find that a soda, on the new WW plan is 10 points!! That was eye opening for me. As opposed to MFP, where a soda, is typically about 160 calories. I can "afford" 160 calories in MFP - I choose NOT to afford 10 points on WW. So, I make a better choice (or that is the hope!). Another item I found interesting was Greek Yogurt. With WW, it was in the ballpark of 5 points for a serving (don't quote me... I'm working from memory here). In MFP, Greek Yogurt is somewhere around 120 calories. This honestly didn't make much sense to me - why are the points so high for this item when it is generally viewed as a healthy, high protein food option? But I think that this is why WW is successful; whatever scientific formula that they use does help clients make 'different' choices. So, long story short, I think that there is merit to both options. The real key is that you JOURNAL and that you are HONEST with yourself. If you do this faithfully, I believe you will see results with both/either. Good luck - you got this!!
  • FLBeachluvr
    FLBeachluvr Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Personally I think the Points Plus program that WW had previously was easier for me than MFP. I lost fairly easily and successfully and maintained for 2 years. Had some major life changes and regained about half of what I lost. I got tired of paying the monthly WW fee when I wasn't even going to meetings so once I decided to get myself back on track i started with MFP. I do like the app and how it can link with my Fitbit but I'm still getting used to having to weigh/measure my fruits and vegetables after them being "free" on WW. I also feel more pressure to exercise on MFP than I did on WW. Seems like with MFP if I don't exercise almost daily then I don't lose. That wasn't the case on WW but I was probably eating less too. The new program that WW has now is very harsh on any kind of sugar or processed foods to encourage people to eat more "clean" but it's very hard for a lot of people is what I'm hearing. Ultimately it's whatever you feel you can sustain for the long run.