Protein

Options
So I normally eat egg whites with my oatmeal for breakfast plus fruit, I try to eat chicken or tuna with a salad or rice and fruit and yogurt for lunch, then I eat healthy meal for dinner that has meat and veggies, I like to eat air popped popcorn drizzled with a half table spoon of peanut butter or one to two squares of 70% cocoa chocolate as a after dinner snack, my thing is, during the day I feel like no matter what I can't stay full, I even upped my calories a bit to try and eat more, but still be healthy, so I can feel fuller longer, I thought about having protein shakes in between meals to help out, but not sure if it will benefit me more or just make my weight loss harder on me

Replies

• BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Count your calories and protein, fiber, vegetables and water are going to be your best friends (barring any health conditions )
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You seem low on fats. Try having a whole egg in the am. Adding avocado or nuts to your lunch. Having full fat or low fat yogurt vs fat free if that's what you're eating.
  • shortygirl1987
    shortygirl1987 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat egg whites cause I'm watching my cholesterol, I thought about adding almonds to my diet, and sometimes I eat activia yogurt
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't very filling unless you put ice cream, whole milk, and peanut butter in them, and that may defeat the purpose for which you're trying to use them.

Fiberous veggies may help and so could upping your fats if you're going a bit low fat. How many calories are you targeting, and what are your height, weight, and age? Just curious whether you're cutting calories too low.
  • shortygirl1987
    Options
    Protein shakes aren't very filling unless you put ice cream, whole milk, and peanut butter in them, and that may defeat the purpose for which you're trying to use them.

Fiberous veggies may help and so could upping your fats if you're going a bit low fat. How many calories are you targeting, and what are your height, weight, and age? Just curious whether you're cutting calories too low.

I was at 1200, now I've gone up to 1400 to 1500, I'm around 5 foot 1, 145 and I'm 29
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I was at 1200, now I've gone up to 1400 to 1500, I'm around 5 foot 1, 145 and I'm 29

That sounds like enough. Is your diet low fat and why the concern over dietary cholesterol? Is this under a doctor's orders?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    +1 to the fat & high-volume/low-cal veggies ideas. Everybody's different when it comes to satiation, but those, plus adequate protein, really were crucial to me for satiation. Experimenting with the distribution of your calories and/or macros over the course of the day might help, too.
  • shortygirl1987
    Options

That sounds like enough. Is your diet low fat and why the concern over dietary cholesterol? Is this under a doctor's orders?

Yeah my doctor said my cholesterol was high, my LDL was high, and my tryglicerides were high, so she said to eat healthier and loose some weight
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    From the wikipedia : "In February 2015, reversing decades-long recommendations, the USDA Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee recommended repealing the guideline that Americans limit cholesterol intake, because dietary cholesterol intake has never correlated well with serum cholesterol levels. "

If you're ok with eating egg whites alone, that's fine, but if you'd rather get a price break on the protein, bring this topic up with your doctor.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Yeah my doctor said my cholesterol was high, my LDL was high, and my tryglicerides were high, so she said to eat healthier and loose some weight

But didn't specifically mention dietary cholesterol nor specify "eat healthier"?
  • hazcad
    hazcad Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Having more protein in your diet will help fill you up for longer. Maybe look into macro counting, it'll give you an idea of how much cabs fat and protein your body needs each day. You'd be surprised how many people don't eat enough protur without realising.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So I normally eat egg whites with my oatmeal for breakfast plus fruit, I try to eat chicken or tuna with a salad or rice and fruit and yogurt for lunch, then I eat healthy meal for dinner that has meat and veggies, I like to eat air popped popcorn drizzled with a half table spoon of peanut butter or one to two squares of 70% cocoa chocolate as a after dinner snack, my thing is, during the day I feel like no matter what I can't stay full, I even upped my calories a bit to try and eat more, but still be healthy, so I can feel fuller longer, I thought about having protein shakes in between meals to help out, but not sure if it will benefit me more or just make my weight loss harder on me
    If that protein shake is Whey..it will make you hungrier due to the insulinemia it will elicit.

• sunnybeaches105
    Options

Eat the whole egg and add some fat to your diet. Just make sure you get plenty of fiberous vegetables.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    The cholesterol you eat in eggs is chicken cholesterol. Your body has to chop it up into fat to make human cholesterol. The vast majority of people do not have their blood cholesterol go up from dietary cholesterol. Fat and carbs, in combination, are the actual culprit.

High triglicerides, in particular, seem to be about too much sugar and alcohol.

Eat the whole egg. Add some fat to the salad and cut back on the rice/fruit proportionally to keep the calories at the right level.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

This is good advice from your doctor (emphasis on the weight loss advice as this can have a huge effect on cholesterol levels) but the "eat healthier" portion actually means cut calories, increase the healthy fats, reduce saturated fats, increase fiber and protein. Dietary cholesterol isn't your culprit.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I don't want to start a new thread but I was looking at my macros and protein is set to 20 percent and I am thinking that is low. Can anybody help me or give me suggestions on checking if I am getting enough protein?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    OhMsDiva wrote: »
    I don't want to start a new thread but I was looking at my macros and protein is set to 20 percent and I am thinking that is low. Can anybody help me or give me suggestions on checking if I am getting enough protein?
    This is just my opinion, with which others will disagree:
    • Take your final goal weight in pounds (as long as it's in the healthy range).
    • Multiply that weight by 0.6. The result is your absolute minimum reasonable number of grams of protein to eat every day when in calorie deficit.
    • Multiply that weight by 0.8. This is a good number of grams of protein to strive for if possible while in calorie deficit. If you are lifting heavy weights while in calorie deficit, or are old (say 50+) and in calorie deficit, this is probably a more reasonable absolute minimum than the 0.6.
    • Multiply that weight by 1. This would be a good number of grams of protein to strive for if possible, if you're in calorie deficit & lifting heavy weights, as long as it doesn't short change any other important nutritional goals.
    • Unless you have an unusual medical condition, it's OK to get more protein than any of the above, as long as it doesn't short change any other important nutritional goals.
    NOTE to some people with lower-goal ideas who have read the WHO recommendations for avoiding protein deficiency: Yes, I meant pounds, not Kg. It's just my opinion.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    • Multiply that weight by 0.6. The result is your absolute minimum reasonable number of grams of protein to eat every day when in calorie deficit.
    • Multiply that weight by 0.8. This is a good number of grams of protein to strive for if possible while in calorie deficit. If you are lifting heavy weights while in calorie deficit, or are old (say 50+) and in calorie deficit, this is probably a more reasonable absolute minimum than the 0.6.
    • Multiply that weight by 1. This would be a good number of grams of protein to strive for if possible, if you're in calorie deficit & lifting heavy weights, as long as it doesn't short change any other important nutritional goals.
    • Unless you have an unusual medical condition, it's OK to get more protein than any of the above, as long as it doesn't short change any other important nutritional goals.
    NOTE to some people with lower-goal ideas who have read the WHO recommendations for avoiding protein deficiency: Yes, I meant pounds, not Kg. It's just my opinion.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Thank you