Low Carb Diet - Help

Options
As anyone here ever done a low carb diet, and for how long? Is it normal to feel hungry, with headaches and without energy for working out?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've tried. Felt about the same. If you don't have a medical condition and you don't like it, don't do it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Not exactly normal, and lots of people do low carb successfully and enjoy eating like that for life - but it's possible likely that 1) you are doing it wrong, or 2) low carb isn't for you, or 3) both.
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Sounds like keto flu, you probably need more sodium. Search for some of the excellent LCHF forums on MFP.
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Keto flu. You need more sodium. Your electrolytes are off. Drink broth, pickle juice, salt your water. Join the low carb group and read the pin about electrolytes. Keto flu is completely avoidable if you up your sodium. You need 3,000-5,000mg per day

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Headaches and generally having that foggy feeling (not the best at describing it) can quickly and easily be resolved by fixing electrolyte balance. When you eat low carb, you need a lot more sodium than people on a high carb diet. So go eat a bunch of pickles or something with heavy sodiium content. If you have calories available, a meat stick (cured sausage-type meat) typically has a lot of sodium and is delicious to boot (then again, so are pickles).
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thanks for answering.
    I don't have any health condition. I dont use too much salt on my foods, but I'll try to get more sodium.
    One more thing, what exercises do you do on a low carb? You simply do a weight lifting, HIIT or a LISS? Has anyone experienced any muscle loss with low carb? (because your muscles dont have glycogen)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You probably need higher fat intake. Research more into low carb diets. It obviously won't be for everyone....but a lot of people don't understand the trade offs that need to occur.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    As anyone here ever done a low carb diet, and for how long? Is it normal to feel hungry, with headaches and without energy for working out?
    Thanks for answering.
    I don't have any health condition. I dont use too much salt on my foods, but I'll try to get more sodium.
    One more thing, what exercises do you do on a low carb? You simply do a weight lifting, HIIT or a LISS? Has anyone experienced any muscle loss with low carb? (because your muscles dont have glycogen)

I've been low-carb for over 2 years.

Just about any time I run a calorie deficit, I get a little hungry.

Definitely balance those electrolytes.
    The low-carb group has a stickie post about the how and why, but the gist is:
    sodium: 3,000-5,000mg (some people need the higher end so your exact is going to be YMMV)
    magnesium: 400mg
    potassium: close to the RDA as possible

You'll need to supplement. It's almost impossible to salt your food enough to cover the body's need for sodium while doing low-carb, imo. I make an electrolyte drink using salt and potassium salt for sodium and potassium. I take a mag supp nightly.

The headaches and energy issues will be greatly reduced by taking care of electrolytes. I never had keto-flu because I supplemented electrolytes at the outset. As you progress, your energy issues should improve more as your body adapts to the change-up of fuel source.

Very little noticeable muscle loss as far as I can tell. Almost all weightloss has some to a degree, but I've never had issues with excessive muscle loss. Like I said, as far as I can tell. I haven't ever had trouble with progression or performance either.

Exercise: I do all three and have throughout. I sling kettlebells, walk/hike, and do HIIT routines or sprint/walk intervals. I have done Bodyweight (You Are Your Own Gym) and dumbbells for strength training in the past.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Oh and here is a general bare-bones guide to macros:
    1. Keep carbs below your chosen ceiling.
    2. Keep protein in the required range for your weight/age/build/activity level (this calc can help in figuring that out: http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/)
    3. Fill the rest of your intake with fat to satiety.

A good fat/protein balance helps greatly with satiety. And with energy and performance.

• Sezold5758
    Sezold5758 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend a low card diet if you are working out. If you are eating healthy carbs (quinoa, brown rice, steel cut oats, ezekiel bread) it won't hurt weight loss. It'll only help you, carbs are going to boost your metabolism which will burn more fat
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Sezold5758 wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend a low card diet if you are working out. If you are eating healthy carbs (quinoa, brown rice, steel cut oats, ezekiel bread) it won't hurt weight loss. It'll only help you, carbs are going to boost your metabolism which will burn more fat

healthy carbs = nonsense, the body processes them exactly like all carbohydrate.
    as to the metabolism claim: where did you learn that?
  • kellyshell215
    kellyshell215 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    Sezold5758 wrote: »

healthy carbs = nonsense, the body processes them exactly like all carbohydrate.
    as to the metabolism claim: where did you learn that?

I think Sezold5758 meant complex carbs, which take a while to digest compared to simple carbs.
  • luvmakeup4ever
    luvmakeup4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm on low carb since 5/01 and feel great. I've also lost 41.4 lbs.