Walking

Options
2»

Replies

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    We lost a lot of weight with diet and walking(down 50 pounds each), but were flabby. Lifting is great, goodbye flab. When DW started lifting she was a size 8, few months later and only a couple of pounds down she's a size 4!
  • bwhitty67
    bwhitty67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Happy to say I hit the 12k mark today, some of that was errands and store walking the other was 45 mins on the TM :)
  • NicoleMulberry
    NicoleMulberry Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi all, pls add me as friend. Could use some motivation re walking. Not big fan of excercising, hence current weight, but realised i can trick my brain into 'not hating' walking :) lost 20lbs but off the wagon last 3 months -back again. Also using -map my walk
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    If you can add hills to your walk, it helps a lot.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Another huge yes to strength training in addition to the walking, maintain lean muscle mass and bone density, a win-win.
  • bwhitty67
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    If you can add hills to your walk, it helps a lot.

I usually use my treadmill and have a setting that uses the incline frequently so I do get some changes. I know the TM is probably different then actual outside walking but when I do walk outside I need to find a more hilly walk :)
  • 19forever
    19forever Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight with just walking as my exercise of choice, this time. I use to do some running a few years ago. I lost some weight with it but hated it. When I stopped, I gained back over 35 lbs. My question is: if I were to add some strength training, exactly what exercises do you guys recommend?? I have no exercise buddies to keep me motivated and on track, so it has to be something that's easy to stick with and won't be discouraging if I'm not good at it right away. Any suggestions???
  • bwhitty67
    Options
    19forever wrote: »
    I've been trying to lose weight with just walking as my exercise of choice, this time. I use to do some running a few years ago. I lost some weight with it but hated it. When I stopped, I gained back over 35 lbs. My question is: if I were to add some strength training, exactly what exercises do you guys recommend?? I have no exercise buddies to keep me motivated and on track, so it has to be something that's easy to stick with and won't be discouraging if I'm not good at it right away. Any suggestions???

For me I just have different pound hand weights and do the usual bicep curls, hammer curls and others about 6 different ways. I do them 3x and 20 reps. I also do push-ups and sit-ups.
  • basiliscus
    basiliscus Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Personally I think for beginners circuit training is the best way to loose way and maintain/gain muscles. It basically means you do one exercise after another, targeting different groups of muscles in each exercise.

You need some back and leg exercises because they are the biggest muscles and will have the biggest impact on metabolism when exercised. Core muscles to develop core strength and stability. And then some chest and arm exercise to make sure you give your whole body a nice workout.

If you are a member of a gym, ask the resident personal timer to design a workout routine for you. If not, buy some kettlebells or dumbbells and grab a book from Amazon with a complete body workout for one of those specific weights and you're settled! Have fun and good luck!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Walking and hiking was and is my main form of exercise (I walk to work 50 min each way). About a year ago I introduced weights and 4 months ago I joined a gym for more weight training (and some cardio). Just 700g from goal now
    I like the zen part of walking and it has helped me greatly with my weightloss.
  • edup1975
    edup1975 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I walked 3 miles a day and changed to low carb diet. This helped me achieve my results .