Is Ketosis real?

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for almost 3 years now and had a whole lot of challenges. Despite eating at a deficit that should have resulted in much greater losses, I could only lose on average about 1/5 of 1 lb. per week. There were times when I would be in a plateau, losing nothing for months (even when eating at a calorie deficit) followed by a "whoosh" at the end where I would lose a massive amount in just a few days for no obvious reason. In March of this year, I switched to low carb and have lost about 5 times as quickly since then without a change in calories. I don't know if that means I could still lose at a calorie surplus; but from my experience, a deficit level of calories is significantly different when eating low carb apparently.

I would also add that excretion is a part of CO, so if you are eating so much fat that you can't digest it quickly enough (fat takes a very long time to absorb, which is why it is so much more satiating than carbs) and end up excreting quite a bit, then it would stand to reason that there is a certain point where every additional fat CI becomes 1 additional CO. I'm not sure if that happens at a surplus level or not.

Maybe all that time exrecting gave you a chance for mindfullness that allowed you to will your body to stop hanging onto the self image of yourself as overweight, which is why you have so much woosh before?

I don't understand. Please clarify.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you eat too much protein, you will not stay in ketosis, so that part is self-limiting. The amount of carbs you can eat and stay in ketosis is variable, for many it is less than 50g.

For most eating a nutritional ketosis diet, protein will not be a factor. It is when protein is well over 200+ g per day that it may affect glucose levels in the blood. Most follow a moderate protein plan. I go with about 20%.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Ketosis is real and ketosis works and here's how: Protein in meat is tough to digest, and in the digestion of that protein your body expends a lot of energy. It turns out that 40% of the available calories in meat is already burned by the time your body gets to it. Somebody with a TDEE of 2000 and a MFP calorie goal of 1800 can possibly eat 3000 calories of meat and net their 1800. Cool, huh? Add a very few well-selected veggies for essential nutrients and rock on.

And I'll note that I did not say you could eat double your TDEE. 133%. That's what I said.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    The body reaction of ketosis is human physiology so yea it is very real. However as other said you still need to eat at a deficit. Some people react well to the keto diet while others don't its not a diet for everyone but really no diet is. If you try it and you feel good, keep doing it. If you feel less energetic then I would go back to using carbs as your bodies energy source.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is real. Eating too much protein will keep you out of ketosis, because amino acids can be used in lieu of carbohydrates. For me, eating a high protein/moderate fat/low carb diet works better than a ketogenic diet, and it allows me enough carbs to eat vegetables.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight for almost 3 years now and had a whole lot of challenges. Despite eating at a deficit that should have resulted in much greater losses, I could only lose on average about 1/5 of 1 lb. per week. There were times when I would be in a plateau, losing nothing for months (even when eating at a calorie deficit) followed by a "whoosh" at the end where I would lose a massive amount in just a few days for no obvious reason. In March of this year, I switched to low carb and have lost about 5 times as quickly since then without a change in calories. I don't know if that means I could still lose at a calorie surplus; but from my experience, a deficit level of calories is significantly different when eating low carb apparently.

I would also add that excretion is a part of CO, so if you are eating so much fat that you can't digest it quickly enough (fat takes a very long time to absorb, which is why it is so much more satiating than carbs) and end up excreting quite a bit, then it would stand to reason that there is a certain point where every additional fat CI becomes 1 additional CO. I'm not sure if that happens at a surplus level or not.

Maybe all that time exrecting gave you a chance for mindfullness that allowed you to will your body to stop hanging onto the self image of yourself as overweight, which is why you have so much woosh before?

I don't understand. Please clarify.

Well on the normal diet, you didn't have time to think about your diet. THis kidn of stress would reaise cortisol in comparison to the contemplative time spent excreting. Also, time excreting and contemplating would let you think about your new body image to coax your body into becoming that image. On a normal diet, not thinking about your body, your mind creates the image that it wants to hold onto that body, and will cause the body to hold onto water and otehr things to keep from becoming the new body that your mind doesn't conceive. The whoosh is when your mind finally can't force the body to hold onto its old image of what it should look like - it is like using a hammer to force the body to sclpt the body in large pulses of change instead of slow chisel releases it stone by stone.

No, the plateaus I experienced were before I was eating low carb. During and after the plateaus, there wasn't a noticeable difference in excretion / toilet time, with 1 exception: During one of my longer plateaus (6 months), I tried a version of IF that had me eating at a tremendous surplus for about 6 weeks. I started this about 2 months into the plateau, and the logic was that if I couldn't lose weight with just a deficit and I was super hungry all the time, I could at least be hungry only part of the time. So I ate whatever I wanted and as much as I wanted every other day (around 10K calories those days, and I logged it though I ate as much as I desired) and limit to 500 calories on the other days. This was a surplus in total, but in 6 weeks, I didn't have any sustained weight gain (because I was in a plateau... a true plateau, by definition, will not have any sustained gains or losses). This was a high carb (and high every other macro) diet, so the low carb examples don't apply. During that time, I had a lot of weight fluctuations (once, I even gained 9 lbs. in a few hours), but nothing that lasted. And also during that time, I spent more time "excreting." But that wasn't low carb at all.

It is incredibly naive to assume I didn't have to think about my diet on a "normal" intended deficit diet. In fact, because I was not losing as I should have, I was thinking about it even more than I am with low carb. Since I have type 1 diabetes and have to dose insulin based on carbs, I have been thinking about my diet for more than 2 decades. One doesn't need to be sitting on the toilet to think, though. And excreting doesn't magically allow additional time to think about or consider diet. The whoosh I mentioned occurred at the end of the plateau. This was about a year before I started eating low carb, so I can't see a correlation.

I'm still overweight and see myself as overweight, though not as badly as I was at one time. The idea that how I see myself or how I want to see myself having an impact on how easily I can lose weight doesn't sound right and I would need a lot more data before I can accept that as a direct help or hindrance to weight loss. It might be an indirect help or hindrance for some people (i.e. people see themselves as fat and that encourages them to eat fewer calories or it make them depressed and they eat more calories).
  • missourinurse
    missourinurse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's not fishy. It works. It can be used as a lifestyle. You can lose a lot at the beginning but it is mostly water weight as previously stated. Everyone's metabolism, enviroment, lifestyle, daily stressors etc are different. We are different and react different. Also, some medications interfer with diets and weightloss. I am on this lifestyle and my husband joined me but he is not as strict as I because he doesn't need or want to be.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ketosis is real and ketosis works and here's how: Protein in meat is tough to digest, and in the digestion of that protein your body expends a lot of energy. It turns out that 40% of the available calories in meat is already burned by the time your body gets to it. Somebody with a TDEE of 2000 and a MFP calorie goal of 1800 can possibly eat 3000 calories of meat and net their 1800. Cool, huh? Add a very few well-selected veggies for essential nutrients and rock on.

And I'll note that I did not say you could eat double your TDEE. 133%. That's what I said.

The Thermal Effect of Food for protein is more like 20-25%. So for every 1g of protein you eat, above what you are already eating, is about 1 extra calorie burned. It's minimal at best in the grand scheme of things. But you can equally see that increase in TEF even on a moderate to high carb diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, the only way Keto would help you lose at a faster rate (outside of glycogen depletion) would be if you are full faster and consume less calories. Some feel full with fat, and others (like myself and others in this thread) do not get full off of fat.

• Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    What I wonder is is maintainable? How long can you do this. Are there any side effects of long term Ketosis?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Losing weight (long term) in a calorie surplus would mean you have to be excreting any excess calories eaten without absorbing them (sounds messy!).

I vote for keto diet plus a daily fistful of Alli. Breakfast of champions.

• AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The Thermal Effect of Food for protein is more like 20-25%. So for every 1g of protein you eat, above what you are already eating, is about 1 extra calorie burned. It's minimal at best in the grand scheme of things. But you can equally see that increase in TEF even on a moderate to high carb diet.

I agree with @psulemon here. In short, there's nothing magical about Keto or low carb for weight loss. Even though many here will claim otherwise.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is real of course. It also suits some people and not others.

Losing weight (long term) in a calorie surplus would mean you have to be excreting any excess calories eaten without absorbing them (sounds messy!).

Low carb diets would typically result in a faster initial weight loss (glycogen & water weight) but over time weight loss evens out between different types of diet and is in relation to your calorie deficit.

@sijomial oh it is. I have Crohn's and became very underweight even on Prednisone and eating at around my old maintenance. Malabsorption and the speed of passage is not fun and very very messy
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I vote for keto diet plus a daily fistful of Alli. Breakfast of champions.

That sounds like a sticky situation. But there's nothing a low carb diet can't cure( according to mfp forums Lmao) just make sure to get your ketostix and a lot of tp . Don't worry, the magic will surely happen. Plus it cures dementia, athletes foot and sickle cell anemia
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is real....as are the side-effects if you maintain a ketotgenic diet long term. By its nature it isn't sustainable long term because of that and so I tend to discourage that approach to weight loss. You should find a way to lose weight that you can naturally transition into maintenance without changing too much or anything with how you have been eating. You want to learn how to maintain through your diet and if you have to completely change your diet at your goal in order to maintain its not going to work out very well.
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I don't think is entirely true. The carnivores I know (eating animal products only) find their digestion better and their waste is less (protein is digested more fully).

It does appear that some in ketosis can eat somewhat more than their TDEE calculator would have predicted, but I don't think it is due to animal protein. Ketosis is not high in protein, and I know of some vegetarian keto'ers.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    What I wonder is is maintainable? How long can you do this. Are there any side effects of long term Ketosis?

It is maintainable although few do it for life unless it really is enjoyable. I've been doing it for over a year. In the low carb group we have a few members who have been doing it for a few years, and there are a few out there with a medical background who have been eating keto for some time, like Phinney and Volek. Others tend t cycle into low carb after a while if health issues have been resolved (like Peter Attia).

Long term side effects are often improved cholesterol and triglycerides.... People will develop short term insulin resistance but after a few days at a higher carb level, this disappears. Some develop poor breath (but for some it is due to higher than needed protein intake) and some get stinkier sweat. Fewer cavities?