muwee72 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like a good sweet tea
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    muwee72 wrote: »
    She said its been linked to adding fat to the stomach area and she wants all natural foods

Does she know you drink diet soda? If so, your doctor needs to go back to school and learn the basics.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I switched to regular coke only occasionally and the flavored cabonated waters (la croix). Diet Coke was giving me headaches. I didn't lose weight instantly or anything magical after giving them up though. But they definitely weren't helping my weight loss.

How can a diet drink that has no calories impact your weight?

The idea behind diet sodas is that you replace them for regular soda thereby cutting calories. Could be that people will make up for it by eating more calories, who knows. But I have never heard of anyone losing weight by switching to diet soda now that I think about it.

• muwee72
    Options
    Its addicting. I was drinking them from the time I got out of bed till went to bed again. I am now down to 3 a day. Much better
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I switched to regular coke only occasionally and the flavored cabonated waters (la croix). Diet Coke was giving me headaches. I didn't lose weight instantly or anything magical after giving them up though. But they definitely weren't helping my weight loss.

How can a diet drink that has no calories impact your weight?

The idea behind diet sodas is that you replace them for regular soda thereby cutting calories. Could be that people will make up for it by eating more calories, who knows. But I have never heard of anyone losing weight by switching to diet soda now that I think about it.

Seriously? There are tons of anecdotes from people that lose weight by just switching to diet soda - at least at first. Then they make other changes to further their weight-loss.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Your doctor is right. You should give up diet Coke because Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi is far better.

Obviously incorrect, but I suppose we shouldn't derail the thread with a soda war, even if you are so clearly wrong. ;-) The only cherry flavored soda I like is Dr Brown's Diet Black Cherry, and my store doesn't carry it any more (or the diet cream soda, which is also good).

OP, there's no need to cut out diet coke. Some people find that they have a harder time controlling their diet if they drink them, since they crave sweets more (this is definitely not my experience, but some have reported it). If so, try cutting back.

If you want to cut back anyway -- I don't drink much diet soda just because I drink too much coffee and so don't need MORE caffeine and the soda I prefer (diet coke) has caffeine -- maybe cut some of what you are drinking and replace it with something else? I like chilled iced tea (herbal, so less caffeine, but that's my thing), and I am also currently into the pear-peach flavor of LaCroix. Dunno if that's as natural as your GP would like, but no sweetener or caffeine. (There are many different flavors, of course.)
  • TheLegendaryBrandonHarris
    Options
    arezr5nhjarc.jpg

Mmmm...now we're talkin'!
  • muwee72
    Options
    Oh my god thats another one of my addictions. I literally just made a salad with light ranch ugh. Salad is pretty but on a android phone can't post pic but its horrible with light ranch
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    She said its been linked to adding fat to the stomach area and she wants all natural foods

LOL!!! Your doctor is an idiot if she said this. You know you can switch doctors, right?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I'd change Drs straight away if mine thought that a zero calorie drink could add body fat, let alone being stupid enough to think it can add it to a specific area.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    Oh my god thats another one of my addictions. I literally just made a salad with light ranch ugh. Salad is pretty but on a android phone can't post pic but its horrible with light ranch

Now ranch dressing you DO need to drop. Find a good light or fat-free dressing to use instead. Seriously, there are many out there that taste delicious. And stop using as much. I always get my dressing on the side and use 2 TBs or less.
  • muwee72
    Options
    Haha I hear you. I am feeling better that I am not so dependent on it. And have saved $ lol
  • muwee72
    Options
    I am on the light ranch but the flavor is soo not the same. I am trying though. I am doing a 21 day fit. I wanted to get on diet pills from the doc and she rufused and told me to try 21 day fit
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Its addicting. I was drinking them from the time I got out of bed till went to bed again. I am now down to 3 a day. Much better

Congrats on cutting back, I'm working on that myself. My weight loss was better when I cut it out completely.

I'm with you on light dressings, I much prefer the full fat. My salads tend to be pretty low fat on their own, so I need that bit of fat from the dressing or I'm foraging for something else less than an hour later.
  • MiaisMIAinMiami
    MiaisMIAinMiami Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I thought I was addicted to soda and energy drinks. Turns out I just like to drink something all day - tea, water, coffee.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    I am on the light ranch but the flavor is soo not the same. I am trying though. I am doing a 21 day fit. I wanted to get on diet pills from the doc and she rufused and told me to try 21 day fit

Diet pills are nonsense. Junk. Waste of money. You need to burn more calories than you consume. That's it. You can't expect to enjoy all the same things and do the same thing...and lose weight. You CAN make changes, including learning to like new things, different flavors, lighter fare, and lose weight. Full fat dressings are one of the worst things you can eat - completely ruins the salad's health benefits.

Try some of these, I think you will be surprised how easily and quickly you can remove ranch dressing from your diet.
    http://www.eatthis.com/salad-dressings-for-weight-loss
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Diet pills are nonsense. Junk. Waste of money. You need to burn more calories than you consume. That's it. You can't expect to enjoy all the same things and do the same thing...and lose weight. You CAN make changes, including learning to like new things, different flavors, lighter fare, and lose weight. Full fat dressings are one of the worst things you can eat - completely ruins the salad's health benefits.

Try some of these, I think you will be surprised how easily and quickly you can remove ranch dressing from your diet.
    http://www.eatthis.com/salad-dressings-for-weight-loss

You don't have to stop eating or drinking anything, you just need moderation.

And adding full fat dressing does not magically evaporate the micros.