Finding it hard to calorie count

Options
Lost a lot of weight with mfp previously but gained two stone and finding it so easy to just eat a heap of junk food each day when the UK is so cheap for it and I find it hard to say no to buying Pringles when in Tesco. I am trying to calorie count but it's hard resisting tempation. I have so far done well today and logged everything. I just like to eat a lot of calories might do half a lb a week.

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with half a pound per week as a goal. It allows for weight loss while giving you enough calories that you don't so easily fall off of the proverbial wagon.

Go for it. Good for you so far today. Keep it up. One step at a time.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thank you !
  • jayv85
    jayv85 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's ok once in a while. I'm on my monthly friend this week and all I want to do is give in and eat a bunch of chocolate. I hate that craving. I did cave in and eat a cookie today. lol. Oh well. It's still within my calories.
  • Trish1c
    Trish1c Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Stay out of Tesco. Invest in a cooler / lunch bag. Bring what you will need throughout the day with you in properly portioned containers. Keep cold water handy.

If you don't have to be confronted with the temptation it will be easier to resist.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I like to eat a lot of food too! I lost my weight at the average rate of .33 lbs per month. But you know what? That weight is still gone and I didn't starve or count or log or suffer while losing it.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Stop going to Tesco, either got to aldi and lidl where crisps and snack are awful and you won't be tempted, or go to Waitrose where they're too expensive (and feel better about yourself for supporting an employee owned business).

Seriously though, I find it easiest not to calorie count most of the time, and just have three rules

1. Have three normal portion meals a day.
    2. No snacks in between.
    3. Minimal calorie or calorie free dinks only.

If snacking has become a hobby, then try to find other activities to do that keep you away from the snacks - a long hot bath, some yoga, reading, mfp forums, anything other than sofa and tv.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    A suggestion you might try: eat what you want but only half a portion. Tell yourself: I can always have more if I want. Wait 20 minutes -- that's how long it takes your brain to register a feeling of fullness. Then decide whether you really want more or not.

Years ago a friend and I (both overweight) were discussing a third friend who had always been thin. He pointed out to me that the thin friend would take one cookie and nibble on it, setting it down between bites. In the same amount of time those of us who were overweight would have polished off the whole package.

I've become convinced a lot of us aren't wired to recognize feelings of hunger and satiety like "normal" people. Whether learned or inherited, I have no idea.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Tesco has aisle after aisle of crap. It's my go to supermarket for stocking up on teenager feed.

Change supermarket to one you can't walk around on autopilot or shop for ambient temperature stuff online so you're less tempted to buy something on impulse and have no reason to wander away from the fresh and frozen stuff when you do go in.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Unfortunately, aldi crisps are lush!
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your help is appreciated. I am a boredom eater so I will use some of the distractions listed here and your tips
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    hamlet1222 wrote: »
    Stop going to Tesco, either got to aldi and lidl where crisps and snack are awful and you won't be tempted, or go to Waitrose where they're too expensive (and feel better about yourself for supporting an employee owned business).

Seriously though, I find it easiest not to calorie count most of the time, and just have three rules

1. Have three normal portion meals a day.
    2. No snacks in between.
    3. Minimal calorie or calorie free dinks only.

If snacking has become a hobby, then try to find other activities to do that keep you away from the snacks - a long hot bath, some yoga, reading, mfp forums, anything other than sofa and tv.

Nice that works for you but it wouldn't for everyone. I'm a snacker and I'm much happier eating 6 smaller meals/snacks per day. There are really no hard and fast rules for losing weight beyond CI<CO.

I completely agree with trying to keep your hands busy or putting yourself into situations where you don't have the urge to snack. I play mindless games on my tablet while watching TV; it keeps my hands busy and my mind fully engaged. I know others who have taken up some form of needlecraft with the same goal in mind.