Raw vegan/raw till 4/80-10-10 testimonies?

Options
Have any of you guys lost weight by going raw vegan, 80-10-10, or raw till 4? I want to go vegan for various personal reasons and I think it would be great to continue to lose weight at the same time. I just want to make sure I won't gain back the 40 lbs I've lost just from clean eating.

Please be polite, and Thanks for your help guys.

Replies

• CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't know what those plans are but, yes, I lost weight going vegan (I'm not vegan now, but eat a mainly vegan diet)
    I like the idea of the raw diets, but I do wonder if some nutrients are actually less available to the body when raw. I'm not a food scientist though, so have no idea and I do eat a lot of veg raw daily.
    I lost weight because I was eating less calories than before, so as long as you log everything you're eating, there's absolutely no reason for you to gain weight just by going vegan.
    Just keep a careful track on things like avocados and nuts as they're both relatively high in calories, but that's also a bonus as a healthy vegan diet can be a bit low (I eat both daily)
    Do have a good read up on vitamin B12 though, and educate yourself on your nutritional requirements as I found there was a bit of a learning curve for me as a previous self-confessed carnivore.

Good luck!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    I don't know what those plans are but, yes, I lost weight going vegan (I'm not vegan now, but eat a mainly vegan diet)
    I like the idea of the raw diets, but I do wonder if some nutrients are actually less available to the body when raw. I'm not a food scientist though, so have no idea and I do eat a lot of veg raw daily.
    I lost weight because I was eating less calories than before, so as long as you log everything you're eating, there's absolutely no reason for you to gain weight just by going vegan.
    Just keep a careful track on things like avocados and nuts as they're both relatively high in calories, but that's also a bonus as a healthy vegan diet can be a bit low (I eat both daily)
    Do have a good read up on vitamin B12 though, and educate yourself on your nutritional requirements as I found there was a bit of a learning curve for me as a previous self-confessed carnivore.

Good luck!

^^This. So long as you stick to your calorie deficit you will continue to lose weight. How you do it is up to you. Definitely make sure you do your research to ensure you're getting adequate nutrition (esp. B12 and iron) though.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    anayapaya wrote: »
    Have any of you guys lost weight by going raw vegan, 80-10-10, or raw till 4? I want to go vegan for various personal reasons and I think it would be great to continue to lose weight at the same time. I just want to make sure I won't gain back the 40 lbs I've lost just from clean eating.

If 80-10-10 is carbs-protein-fat sorry but it sounds like a health disaster. And personally I have the exact same opinion for any similar plan, not matter which macro gets the 80 percentage.
    If by till 4 you mean, not eating after this, this is a matter of convenience. If it helps you control your calories, why not? If you mean eat as much as you want without worrying about calories, then most probably it will not work. You can eat a ton of calories, regardless of the eating window.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I have done vegan but right now I am not. The downside of those two plans for me would be the amount of carbs and the fact that most of the carbs are in fruit.
    A plant-based diet in which one eats carbs from beans, seeds, nuts, and vegetables makes more sense to me. Anyway, go ahead and do which ever you want. Most people only do those two diets for a couple of weeks and then move on to something else because we need more daily options and we need more fat in our diets.
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of raw till 4, but not horribly find of 80-10-10, but I haven't had any experience with the second. Raw till 4 is nice, since if you are low on certain nutritional needs (protein, vitamins, whatever) you are able to get then easily for dinner without worrying about it being raw, so it's a little more stress free I think. You will have a huge store of B12 in your body now. It should take years for you to get a difficiency on a fully raw diet.
  • idoknowannie
    idoknowannie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Raw vegan here since 2013 and I'm underweight my basic diet is fresh crisp and raw I just have Sara Lee wheat bread 5yummy pieces along with one slice of u toasted white enriched bread 70 cal along with fresh carrots usually baby and fresh fruit green tea and whatever other fresh natural drinks and I'm stick thin and feel fresh though you should eat more I usually feel tired but that's cuz I'm busy a lot and raw vegan diets make you full and satisfied on quite a ton of delicious food for minute calories and I'm less than 109 pounds right now with my medium frame i should be at least 145 to look normal healthy
  • daniprimalbeast
    daniprimalbeast Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have tried raw till 4. I think it's cool my only issue was the feeling of weakness even though I had an abundance of energy. For me it's more like 65/10/25 carbs/protein/fats. I still have fruits but i have added in more seeds, nuts, rice, quinoa, and oatmeal into my diet. I'm not using any oil to cook it is either water or vegetable stock (I find this some much easier and safer since I am prone to burning myself with hot oil lol). This is working for me. I have energy and I feel awesome. The only way to know if it will work for you is to try it. Then from there make adjustments as needed.

Good luck!!! :)
  • idoknowannie
    idoknowannie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Now I'm 99 pounds
  • JewelyArielle
    JewelyArielle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes, I follow a raw till four which is pretty much the same thing. And I've lost 30lbs! Feel free to add me :)

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight on any diet. Clean, "dirty", raw, vegan, paleo, eating only foods that have an odd number of letters in their name, or whatever you care about.

If you can get your essential nutrients and macronutrients, and if you can keep your calories consumed below the calories you burn, you'll lose no matter what type of food that is you're eating. Likewise, any diet where you consume too many calories will cause you to gain weight.
  • roseapri
    roseapri Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Raw vegan here since 2013 and I'm underweight my basic diet is fresh crisp and raw I just have Sara Lee wheat bread 5yummy pieces along with one slice of u toasted white enriched bread 70 cal along with fresh carrots usually baby and fresh fruit green tea and whatever other fresh natural drinks and I'm stick thin and feel fresh though you should eat more I usually feel tired but that's cuz I'm busy a lot and raw vegan diets make you full and satisfied on quite a ton of delicious food for minute calories and I'm less than 109 pounds right now with my medium frame i should be at least 145 to look normal healthy

I thought raw vegan meant no animal products and no cooked products, that would include bread (which is baked). Am I mistaken?
  • liv_emmett
    liv_emmett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I wasn't big before I went vegan but I did drop two dress sizes a month after going vegan and you don't really have to diet or limit calorie intake
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    roseapri wrote: »

I thought raw vegan meant no animal products and no cooked products, that would include bread (which is baked). Am I mistaken?

No, you are correct.

That's hardly the main concerning part of that person's post, however.

Edit: oops, but I see now this is a zombie! Hope that person is eating better and is at a healthier weight.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yikes, I didn't realize this had been resurrected. My bad.
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    kcal in kcal out, u can eat chocolate all day if u like as long as u burn more then u eat
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I did the raw vegan thing and lost weight. But felt like crap all the time, was never off the toilet and found it very unsustainable. Besides, it's very expensive to eat that much fruit when you live in the UK and mangoes are starting at £1 each.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Going Vegan or Vegetarian is a great Healthy choice..no matter how you do it. I've been Raw and loved it,felt good and lost nicely until it got cold.You need to do your research and I believe to have your blood monitored at least twice a year for nutrition and absorbtion.Best of Luck and Health.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    babynew wrote: »
    Going Vegan or Vegetarian is a great Healthy choice..no matter how you do it. I've been Raw and loved it,felt good and lost nicely until it got cold.You need to do your research and I believe to have your blood monitored at least twice a year for nutrition and absorbtion.Best of Luck and Health.

Actually not necessarily ...it is healthy if you understand nutritional requirements and how to fuel your body appropriately to reach your goals

Like any diet