Low weight high rep is a killer?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    This is confusing. It seems that usually people talk about 3-5 reps being low rep, so what is 12 reps if it's not high rep?

Moderate reps. Unless you're talking deadlifts, then sure - I'd probably say 12 is high-rep for that.
    How is 12 reps heavy loading if heavy lifting is max you can lift for 3-5 reps?

That's not really what heavy lifting is. It's a shortcut that some people use, but it's not really correct.
    What is the difference between hypertrophy and building muscle?

For almost all intents and purposes, none.
    If you want to build strength but not so concerned about "size" or bulk, how many reps should you be doing?

It doesn't really matter. What matters about size/bulk is Caloric input. That said, some people do seem to respond better to different modes of training. So experiment.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy more refers to using a weight to do 12 when you could have done 20 IMO. If your doing 12, pick a weight where 12 is about as much as you can do.
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    So, you changed your routine? Get on a program. Stick with the program. See results.

I did for 8 months and go no results, in fact I posted my results in a previous thread, Zero muscle built.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Someone will probably ask what program I was on the wasn't working so here it is. Bigger Leaner Stronger. All in the 4-6 rep range.

DAY 1
    PULL & ABS
    Barbell Deadlift – Warm–up sets and then 3 working sets
    Barbell Row – 3 working sets
    Wide-Grip Pull-up or Chin-up – 3 working sets (weighted if possible)
    Barbell Curl – 3 working sets
    3 ab circuits

DAY 2
    PUSH & CALVES
    Incline Barbell Bench Press – Warm–up sets and then 3 working sets
    Seated or Standing Barbell Military Press – Warm–up sets and then 3
    working sets
    Flat Barbell Bench Press – 3 working sets
    Side Lateral Raise – 3 working sets
    Optional: Close-Grip Bench Press – 3 working sets
    Standing Calf Raise – 3 sets of 4 to 6 reps
    Seated Calf Raise – 3 sets of 4 to 6 reps

DAY 3
    LEGS & ABS
    Barbell Squat – Warm–up sets and then 3 working sets
    Leg Press – 3 working sets
    Romanian Deadlift – 3 working sets
    3 ab circuits

This is the 3 day version. I used to also do Strong Lifts 5X5 on the other days.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    This is the 3 day version. I used to also do Strong Lifts 5X5 on the other days.

I think we found (one of) the problem(s). You weren't doing a program. You combined two programs that probably competed with each other.

In addition, I just checked your food diary. It's no surprise at all that you didn't build muscle eating well below 2000 Calories per day.

Follow ONE program.
    Lift.
    Eat.
    Repeat two previous steps.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

I think we found (one of) the problem(s). You weren't doing a program. You combined two programs that probably competed with each other.

In addition, I just checked your food diary. It's no surprise at all that you didn't build muscle eating well below 2000 Calories per day.

Follow ONE program.
    Lift.
    Eat.

I can't eat anymore as I have a high body fat percentage, if anything I need to cut again. I gave up Strong Lifts in June as it was to much. OK I have only been doing this 8 months and I have been in a deficit, but I should have had some results. I may as well not have bothered lifting a single dumbbell.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Someone will probably ask what program I was on the wasn't working so here it is. Bigger Leaner Stronger. All in the 4-6 rep range.

DAY 1
    PULL & ABS
    3 ab circuits

DAY 2
    PUSH & CALVES
    working sets

DAY 3
    LEGS & ABS
    3 ab circuits

What program are you doing now? I know you've had a lot of threads and just a few days ago were asking about building muscle. Did you pick a program or are you winging it? How much are you eating? Are you considering that changing programs will take some getting used to?
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options

Follow ONE program.
    Lift.
    Eat.

I can't eat anymore as I have a high body fat percentage, if anything I need to cut again. I gave up Strong Lifts in June as it was to much. OK I have only been doing this 8 months and I have been in a deficit, but I should have had some results. I may as well not have bothered lifting a single dumbbell.

Ok bud cut to skeleton mode and then eat at a surplus with a real routine. You're trying to fit too many goals in at once and it doesn't work like that.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    So, you changed your routine? Get on a program. Stick with the program. See results.

I did for 8 months and go no results, in fact I posted my results in a previous thread, Zero muscle built.

Best of luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You don't build muscle in defecit, generally

You preserve muscle in defecit ...so did you lose much muscle

Also you're doing too much

Stick to the compound programme, build up your protein and eat at maintenance or a small surplus ...or if you want to cut make that your goal
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

DAY 1
    PULL & ABS
    3 ab circuits

DAY 2
    PUSH & CALVES
    working sets

DAY 3
    LEGS & ABS
    3 ab circuits

What program are you doing now? I know you've had a lot of threads and just a few days ago were asking about building muscle. Did you pick a program or are you winging it? How much are you eating? Are you considering that changing programs will take some getting used to?

To be honest I don't know what I'm doing now, I am winging it. I only have a small home gym with a squat rack and few benches, most programs require some machines, Its hard to find a decent free weights program. At the moment I am still maintenance, I took summer off. The plan was to cut again from September through to November and take December off.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Follow ONE program.
    Lift.
    Eat.

Ok bud cut to skeleton mode and then eat at a surplus with a real routine. You're trying to fit too many goals in at once and it doesn't work like that.

I guess its desperation at this stage, or feeling like I have wasted my time.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »

Follow ONE program.
    Lift.
    Eat.

I guess its desperation at this stage, or feeling like I have wasted my time.

You are if you don't focus. You either have to be okay with having a little extra fat to build some muscle or commit to being a skeleton that you then can use as a blank slate.

What you are doing is fine (except for your programming and jumping around) but you are desperate for immediate results. You want muscles and you don't want to be fat. Pick one and go for it, then worry about the other.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

Stick to the compound programme, build up your protein and eat at maintenance or a small surplus ...or if you want to cut make that your goal

My build looks exactly the same now as it did 60 lbs heavier, everything is just in a smaller proportion.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

DAY 1
    PULL & ABS
    3 ab circuits

DAY 2
    PUSH & CALVES
    working sets

DAY 3
    LEGS & ABS
    3 ab circuits

To be honest I don't know what I'm doing now, I am winging it. I only have a small home gym with a squat rack and few benches, most programs require some machines, Its hard to find a decent free weights program. At the moment I am still maintenance, I took summer off. The plan was to cut again from September through to November and take December off.

I will be blunt. You are screwing yourself.

Stop winging it. Stop flip-flopping when it comes to cutting calories or maintaining. I know it sucks to be where you are. You cut with too steep a deficit and don't like the results. But you *have to* start making good choices and follow through if you want to get anywhere. Pick a solid program, like Fierce 5, eat at maintenance for 2-3 months to give your body a break from cutting, and then reevaluateand maybe cut again. But truly follow the program. Don't add days or change reps/sets.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »

My build looks exactly the same now as it did 60 lbs heavier, everything is just in a smaller proportion.

Yup

That's weight loss

So what do you want to hear?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Were you eating in a surplus? Because even power lifters who stay in the 1-5 rep range built a fair amount of muscle.
  • sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I'm not an expert by any means...but I do know (like everyone else has been saying) that you won't build muscle eating at a deficit. You can't build something out of nothing. Choose which is more important...building muscle, or losing fat? Then stick with it.

I like the Stronglifts 5x5 program because I work out at home as well, and it doesn't require any machines. (So no excuses!) Matter of fact...you've got it better than me, as I don't even have a squat rack (which I want to save up for so I can start lifting more). You just need your barbell, plates, bench and squat rack. Boom.
  • dave_in_ni
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Were you eating in a surplus? Because even power lifters who stay in the 1-5 rep range built a fair amount of muscle.

No I wasnt.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Things that come to my mind when reading your posts--> What are you focusing on while training? Are you doing it just to get it done? Or are you focusing on each lift? How is your form? (Maybe post a video?)

Keep it simple. I would definitely eat at maintenance if you want to keep or perhaps build any muscle. Fill up on protein. And continue a strength program (SL5x5) to create a solid base.

Once you achieve a good strength base and are holding steady in a place you feel confident that may be the time to switch programs. You may be able to retain strength with heavy ascending sets while giving more time in other areas you may prefer like hypertrophy or endurance training programs.

Form follows function. Focus on the basics like strength and movement first. Don't rush it.