C25K question

Options
I'm done with day 3 of week 4 today. Twice during the 5 min runs I had to stop and walk to catch my breath. Took about 30 seconds. Should I move on to week 5 or stay on 4 until I can run it through completely? Thanks for advice

Replies

• ejcurtis
    ejcurtis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey! Firstly, congrats on getting to week 4! When I have done it in the past (I'm starting again this week) I would repeat I week if I felt I wasn't ready for the next step. You might find its only repeating that workout once or twice rather than the whole week. Listen to your body and progress when you're ready :)
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You may want to repeat the week. Even the program says it's okay to repeat them :) I had to repeat the 3rd week a couple of times before I felt I could move on.
  • KiwiAlexP
    KiwiAlexP Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I would keep repeating until you can complete without extra stops - the end of week 5 is hard and you need to build up to it
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I would repeat it until I could do it without the stops. Pushing through may backfire. It's best to get it down before moving on.
  • DazzlingKim68
    DazzlingKim68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was thinking I need to really have this down before I move on. This is a hard week for me. I appreciate the input!!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Different answer for you: you might just be running too fast. C25k is designed so that if you can run any slower you are running too fast.
  • paulbrttn
    paulbrttn Posts: 72 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As weeks 4's runs are all the same I would suggest just repeating the run until you can complete it, take your 2 days rest and then try again. As the weeks progress and runs 1,2 and 3 start to differ is when I would suggest repeating the full week if you have difficulty completing it.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    It sounds like it'd be best to repeat week 4 (and maybe slow down the runs a bit) before moving onto week 5.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm done with day 3 of week 4 today. Twice during the 5 min runs I had to stop and walk to catch my breath. Took about 30 seconds. Should I move on to week 5 or stay on 4 until I can run it through completely? Thanks for advice

You're running too fast.

It may be valuable to ease your pace, and repeat the week.
  • DazzlingKim68
    DazzlingKim68 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I never thought of going to fast....I will try that on my next run. Thanks everyone
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I never thought of going to fast....I will try that on my next run. Thanks everyone

This is usually the reason. Try to keep in the back of your mind that the goal here is to build up your endurance, speed is no where near the objective at this point. You should strive to run while having enough breath available to carry on a conversation with a (often imaginary) partner. Many people find that they need to run at around their walking pace to do that, which can feel counterproductive but is not.

If you find yourself having difficulty during a run interval simply slow down until you feel more comfortable and you can usually finish that interval.