Topamax?

Options
2»

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    When I spend 2-3 days a week in severe pain or in recovery from a migraine, I am missing work, family time, friend and community commitments and all of that is a problem. For the past 13 years I have basically been a hermit. Work, sleep, attempt to workout, eat. Repeat. My kids are so used to it I think they think it is normal for mothers to get home from work or wake up Saturday morning and tell their kids "there is leftovers in the fridge, fend for yourself, don't kill each other, I don't care how much screen time you get, just please let me sleep". How is that good for any family?? At this point I will try a low dose of absolutely anything to help control them. Believe it or not cutting out gluten has actually reduced my frequency, but even once a week would be too much as far as I am concerned.
  • cowgoo
    cowgoo Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Took 400mg for six years. First side effect was tingling in my hands but that went away. Overtime my memory became fuzzy and I thought more slowly. Been off of it for 3 weeks no complaints and will never go on it again. Read a book... can't remember the author but she's a scientist. Been trying her method of 1:2 ratio of sodium: potassium, it really helps. I drink a lot of Propel now. Also take Pentadolex, I won't ever stop taking it because it has helped significantly. Lmk if you have any interest in the book I mentioned. I'll look up the info...game changer.
  • briislovely
    briislovely Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! I'm taking it for a month and then going back to the doctor to see how things are going. Of course if I have any of these side effects I definitely won't continue taking it and hopefully I can find something else!
    I go to school at night and it's an hour away from where I live so it's the worst when I get them while I am at school. Trying to drive home while feeling light headed and like I'm going to throw up is horrible
  • active_niki
    active_niki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The only side effect that I had was weight loss but didn't help with my migraines at all!
  • lisciousg24
    lisciousg24 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've been on Topamax for at least 5 years now. It definitely decreased my migraines. Taste definitely changes in the beginning. However, I didn't lose hair like others.
    I'd say give it a shot. If you feel it's not working for you, talk to your doctor, I'm sure they'll prescribe you something different
  • briislovely
    briislovely Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Seems like everyone's dosage is higher then mine is, atleast right now. I am only taking 50mg before bed and 50mg when I get up.
  • lisciousg24
    lisciousg24 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I started on 50mg
    Then have maintained on 100mg each night