Replies

• TinaS88
    TinaS88 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I drink the Bud Select 55 .. Only 55 calories a beer :P
  • miffanytiller
    miffanytiller Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's awesome about homebrewing! Something I've been researching to start... But you're right about sacrifices. :)
  • glowingz
    glowingz Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Someone recently posted this website, so I thought I'd share:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'd say vodka and a diet mixer - don't know if the bars I drink at even do a diet option mind you, scaffy scaffy bars.
  • elle18287
    elle18287 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    MG64 is a blessing. I usually really hate light beer, but this one really isn't bad at all! I think it is much better than bud55.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I drink one beer a day because its good for you (despite what some may say). Anything over one beer is counterproductive. I drink Michelobe Ultra or Shiner Blonde Light - both are around 95 calories. If you hit happy hour, just make sure you do cardios before you hit the bar. You put your body into high burn mode so your body will just burn the extra calories quickly. One day a week to splurge wont kill you. Just monitor your weight and if you start to gain weight (over a weeks time) then cut out the happy hour until you reach a goal (lets say, 10 pounds lost goal). That way its a reward :smile:
  • MZNIKKIBOO
    MZNIKKIBOO Posts: 190
    Options
    BUMP--
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My husband and I homebrew, so we obviously like good beer. However, I'm having Budweiser's Select 55 instead on occasion. I'd rather have a pint of malty dark beer but I've gotta make some sacrifices.
    I used to drink 1-2 beers a night, now I only have maybe one a week.

Same here! We homebrew a lot, and I've heard that the carbs you're getting from quality beers aren't actually all that bad for you, here's an article about it:

http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=7525

Cheers to dark, manly beers and homebrews :)
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I went on a no drinking kick which was the best way for me to lose weight! At first it's tough especially with the peer pressure but then it becomes pretty simple and almost instinct to be out and order water. I love it! I drink sometimes now but not as often as I used to. I drink Jack on the Rocks which is lower cal and I dont drink as much of it as I did when I was pounding like 10 beers a night. It's a good way to keep track of what you are drink and you see and taste what you are drinking as well compared to the fruity drinks that taste like a treat. I Love Jack personally and it has been working for me as of late.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    personally I would avoid it, because alcohol turns to sugar as it's being digested.

Alcohol Metabolizing Into Sugar: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29977.asp

Not true, and your reference does not say this.

Right! Alcohol doesn't spike your blood sugar unles you are eating sugar with it because it can cause the sugar to not be processed as quickly if your liver is busy dealing with the alcohol. So have a drink and skip the sugar. Sugar is a far more dangerous poison than alcohol (unless you are driving or operating heavy machinery)
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bud 55, and Jameson Irish whiskey (or scotch, vodka, bourbon) straight or on ice. I walk my dog around the neighborhood with two Bud 55's, after a mile I actually earn 5 calories. The only problem is, I find it to be a three Bud walk. Maybe you can do aerobics in the bar while drinking. Problem solved!
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    have a glass of water inbetween each drink.
    Then you still get to have drinks but you will cut you intake in half. :)

I agree adding a water between each drink.
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    This is good topic as it can be a challenge. I have done the water in between drinks and usually stick to clear drinks like vodka. What are you guys thoughts on Vodka Martini's?
  • dlangenfeld
    dlangenfeld Posts: 119
    Options
    Someone recently posted this website, so I thought I'd share:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/

Thanks for the website...great info!!
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I found a sugar free, light mixer with 10 cal per 4 oz. It was the sweet and sour mix. I put 1 oz of vodka, diet sprint and a lime.....74 calories each and was very tasty!! White wine has about 90 calories per glass. Just make sure you make room in your diet for the extra calories. Work out extra that day.

It can be done, hard, b/c I like to eat when I drink. I am sticking to it one night a week, usually saturday nights. I also zig zag my caloires, so I make sure I drink heavy calorie days......

Good luck!!
  • lbn23
    lbn23 Posts: 9
    Options
    vodka soda with lots of lime. 74 calories. The problem is, after 2 (and surely after 3), I start to care a LOT less about the calories in the food I am tempted by. :drinker: :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    vodka soda with lots of lime. 74 calories. The problem is, after 2 (and surely after 3), I start to care a LOT less about the calories in the food I am tempted by. :drinker: :laugh:

I find it's easier to resist 'drunk foods' if I think less about the calories and more about what it will do to my health. It's a lot easier to resist that plate of chicken wings or cheese fries when you imagine what all the cholesterol and saturated fat will do to your arteries. :noway:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Vodka, rum, etc. are all about 70 calories per ounce. Keep in mind that a standard shot is 1.5 ounces, so 105 calories. Mix that with a sugar and calorie free mixer, and it's not too bad. I have a friend who has the bartender put her shot in a 16 oz. glass with Diet Coke. Last longer and spreads out the calories.

The glass of water between (or at the same time) drinks is also something I do a lot. Not only does it cut down on calories, but you won't be hung over the next morning since you're staying hydrated.

I usually prefer Bud Select 55, since I'm more of a beer drinker. It's lighter than I prefer, but I still like it better than any of the other lighter beers. Add a slice of lime for a flavor boost. The benefit is, you can look like you're keeping up with your friends but still not get wasted because they are only 2.4% alcohol. :laugh:
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    My favorite drink is a vodka press (you can make it with infused vodka too). It's vodka, soda, and a splash of soda. I think ti would be pretty low cal for a drink, and it's really light and refreshing, and just a little sweet.
  • rn_jacki
    rn_jacki Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the "skinny girl" mixes? Most of our establishments here (Wisconsin) carry these now too. They can skinny a margarita or even cosmopolitan. I think they definitely taste "diety" , but a decent alternative.