Hotel workout-no gym

Options
hi all,

I am often away from home now, staying in hotels with no gym. As we're approaching autumn/winter I'm not comfortable running around in the dark where I don't know. Any suggestions or tips for hotel room workouts?
Thanks!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,203 Member
    Options
    Find out if there is a local swimming pool or gym ... drop in for a swim or a spinning class or an hour on the treadmill.

Or is there a shopping centre nearby which would be opening in the evenings? Walk brisk laps there.

Bring small weights, if you can, and do a bit of weights workout (this might only work if you're driving and not flying).

Walk at any point in the day you can ... go for a quick walk in the morning, walk to wherever you're having dinner in the evening. Pace the airport if you're flying to your destinations.
  • madcow132
    madcow132 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Find out if there is a local swimming pool or gym ... drop in for a swim or a spinning class or an hour on the treadmill.

Or is there a shopping centre nearby which would be opening in the evenings? Walk brisk laps there.

Bring small weights, if you can, and do a bit of weights workout (this might only work if you're driving and not flying).

Walk at any point in the day you can ... go for a quick walk in the morning, walk to wherever you're having dinner in the evening. Pace the airport if you're flying to your destinations.

Thank you for these tips-they are very realistic and achievable! I will be travelling by train :)
  • pilatespolekat
    pilatespolekat Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Use YouTube! I would find body weight workouts to do in the room. Things like HIIT, Pilates or maybe even TRX. YouTube has a ton of home workouts :) good luck!
  • madcow132
    Options
    Use YouTube! I would find body weight workouts to do in the room. Things like HIIT, Pilates or maybe even TRX. YouTube has a ton of home workouts :) good luck!

Thank you! I will give that a go tonight as I've got a ground floor room so wont keep them up with any burpees haha!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Take the stairs up and down and always (there is a limit I am aware of that)
    But in hotels I consider use of the elevator
    1. when I am carrying my luggage and it is over two floors.
    2. when I am more than 8 floors up. - then I suually get out 2 or 3 floors below my floor and walk the rest
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com will have some workouts you can do
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Turbo jam, rockin' body, any other dvds or utube videos that don't use equipment or just an exercise band.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    One hotel stay, I was told my room key would get me into Planet Fitness just across the street. Body weight exercises and stairs make for a great workout.
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight workouts are awesome. I was just away for 3 weeks. I did nothing but bodyweight, Insanity, and mountain biking. I maintained my weight and actually gained a small amount of LBM.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight exercising.. can do this in the privacy of your hotel room!

You are your own gym
    Convict Conditioning
    Nerd fitness beginner body weight routine
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I believe the entire Beach Body program is designed to be able to do in a hotel room. Their On Demand program is something as crazy as $15ish dollars a month (haven't checked pricing in a bit). Even if it was $40 a month it would be worth it. Definitely check it out, offers tons of variety in the types of workouts and includes beginner through advanced stuff.

(and no, I'm not a BB coach lol, but I have tried out their programs and know they are good).
  • madcow132
    Options
    Thanks everyone-some great suggestions which I will definitely put to good use starting today! :smile: Great to know I can still keep up my fitness and hopefully improve upon it!
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    One thing that hotels have that you wont get at home are many many stairs, and they're usually pretty isolated since most ppl use the elevator . Sometimes when I travel and there's no gym, I just go walk the stairs for 20 or 30 minutes.
  • madcow132
    Options
    futureicon wrote: »
    One thing that hotels have that you wont get at home are many many stairs, and they're usually pretty isolated since most ppl use the elevator . Sometimes when I travel and there's no gym, I just go walk the stairs for 20 or 30 minutes.

I hadn't thought of that-I will give it a go today. Thanks for the tip and shaking up my conventional "running/gym=exercise" mentality
  • mmarshall74
    mmarshall74 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are great... easy to travel with any good resistance training.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    futureicon wrote: »

So true!! My experiences are the same, I usually have stairs to myself! So many great suggestions here!! One more to add you can visit Popsugar Fitness finder and it will build a workout for you based on what you have and the time. @mmarshall74 Love the idea of traveling with resistance bands...will add that to my luggage next time!!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I've walked every flight of stairs and every hallway in my hotel - both up and down. The maids caught on eventually and cheered me on. :)

Then pushups or burpees in the room.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Find a local gym and get a week pass. Get a suspension trainer and train in your room. Find a mall and walk around.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I have often found that hotels that do not have a gym have an agreement with a nearby local gym. Ask the concierge before you fret.