Shoes for Zumba

Options
Can anyone recommend a good supportive shoe for my Zumba workouts? I'm on a carpeted surface so regular cross trainers don't work as I don't have the ability to twist and slide my feet. I've been doing it barefoot but near the end, I always feel like my feet are getting weak...a pain in the top of my foot & sometimes in my arch. I thought barefoot was perfect there for a while but now I'm beginning to wonder. I'd like a little more support than bare feet but I also need to be able to twist and slide on the carpet.

Any ideas?

Replies

• NicolCook
    NicolCook Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I do it on a gym floor and the shoes I wear don't allow me to slide either. I figure with doing this workout 4x a week I need different shoes too!

I was thinking about looking into a dance shoe that would have slicker bottoms, but not sure. Would like to see the answers you get!
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Use older supportive shoes, and put duct tape all over the ball of the foot. I use older running shoes when I teach and so do some of the international instructors that license us. I also have an old plywood panel I keep under the bed I pull out when I rehearse new routines. Carpet is just no fun, but you should definitely wear shoes!

Love ya girl!
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    The duct tape might be a good idea...I was thinking of dance shoes too...hubby wants to go to ****s Sporting Goods later & I thought I'd look and see what they have but I don't imagine they'll have much for dance. LOL I'll look and see if I have anything in my closet I can duct tape! LOL
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    As a dancer, I would recommend jazz shoes. The toes are sueded and allow you to spin even on carpet, but the heels are rubber so you can stop if you get out of control. I own these: http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dance_shoes/sneakers/V931.aspx and they served me very well :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    If you can find a big piece of cardboard to dance on with runners that you have now it might work. I have onemy son calls it our dance floor.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    Options
    Bonniejo, where does a person find Jazz shoes? I'd think a big piece of cardboard would move around too much and maybe even be dangerous if it sliipped??
  • smith18aj
    smith18aj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another dancer here. I would recommend dance shoes as well either jazz shoes or a jazz sneaker. They can be on the expensive side (the cheapest I've ever seen was $15 and they were poor quality, my current pair were 28 but sneakers can be in the $50+ range) but if you are doing that kind of workout a lot probably worth it (I would wear dance shoes to any indoor aerobic type activity that wasn't yoga or pilates based.) I love discountdancesupply.com for my shoes, but if it's your first time I recommend you visit your closest dance store (a quick google "dance apparel store" will suffice) and get a professional fitting. Dance shoes can be very tricky when it comes to fit. Another option would be those really cute simple shoes like keds. They will still grip and support but you should be able to turn in them too. (I've danced in them before)
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I don't know if cardboard would slide around, that's why I got some paneling. I put the rough side down on the floor, and the smooth side up. I got it originally to practice tap dancing, but it works great for Zumba. Just make sure it fits under your bed or can slide away some place. It doesn't need to be big.
  • travelgirl09
    travelgirl09 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Phyll, I love your little dancing girl! jajajajaja!
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Bonniejo, where does a person find Jazz shoes? I'd think a big piece of cardboard would move around too much and maybe even be dangerous if it sliipped??

I included a link :) I love my salsettes! They served me well as my first dance shoe, and were only $25

http://www.dancewearsolutions.com/dance_shoes/sneakers/V931.aspx
  • _CowgirlUp_
    Options
    OOPS, my bad. Sorry...I saw your link too!

Travelgirl, I love my little girl...I wish I could remember how I came about acquiring her...LOL

Thank you all for the information...I'll look into your suggestions right away!
  • ladygloria
    ladygloria Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I bought hip hop sneakers. Great for lateral movement and the smooth soles help me move easily.
  • kristenherrera
    kristenherrera Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great info on this post, but I want to know how you found the little dancing Zumba chick on your signature??? Shes adorable :)