MUST READ! You wont believe what some CO put in your food...

Options
15 Food Companies That Serve You 'Wood'

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11012915/1/cellulose-wood-pulp-never-tasted-so-good.html

I read this and was SO disgusted...how can the FDA let this crap happen?!

Replies

• bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the FDA at all anymore. I also don't understand why lobbiests exist. Can someone explain that to me?
  • mamafrahm
    mamafrahm Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The FDA is a joke. Not really suprised by this article at all.
  • cjjones007
    cjjones007 Posts: 602
    Options
    Even WITH the explanation it wouldn't make sense lol - Lobbies SUCK lol
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You realize every time you eat green vegetables, you're eating...celluose! *gasp*

Seriously - there are other things I would worry about much more than this. Just because something is processed, doesn't mean it's deadly/toxic/horrible for you. Yes, I think it's important to limit processed ingredients - but my approach is to eat as "clean" as I can when it is reasonable. I try to cut out additives and make most of my food at home, and as long as most of my food is like that, then the rest won't really matter. Life's too stort to freak out over everything.

You can even make water sound like something that should be banned! http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html#FACTS
  • Psialpha297
    Psialpha297 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Doesnt bother me at all. All of these foods are delicious =]
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    If it's good enough for the beavers, it's good enough for me!
  • DanaKinzer
    DanaKinzer Posts: 72
    Options
    So in other words, many processed foods and many fast foods contain wood pulp in them. I'm not surprised. Good reason to stay away from anything that comes from a box, a can, or the freezer and good reason to make food yourself!
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You know what else is full of cellulose?? Lettuce! Yes, those b****ards at Green Giant are making us eat 'wood pulp'!!

Every plant derived food is full of cellulose - anything with a cell wall. Cell walls are cellulose.

So, yes, if the outrage is more about getting what you paid for, i.e., 'I wanted fat and meat, dammit, and I'm being shafted with plant fiber!', then ok, this is maybe an issue. If however, this is more about 'artificial' additives in food, I would worry about other things before this.

Think of it like this - what is it about 'wood' that is bothersome? If the cellulose were derived from broccoli, or lettuce, or seaweed, would that be an issue? Is it because wood is inedible for humans? We eat 'pre-wood' all the time (any non lignified plant material, particulalry leaf stems. What about an apple stalk, that's wood too). Sorry if this comes off as really flippant, but I think perspective is lacking here.
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    I don't trust the FDA at all anymore. I also don't understand why lobbiests exist. Can someone explain that to me?

I dont trust them at ALL either...right now they are trying to pass a bill that outlaws any supplements made after 1994...we can say goodbye to vitamins!!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    If it's good enough for the beavers, it's good enough for me!

Hear, hear! :drinker:
  • kelseyk14
    kelseyk14 Posts: 95
    Options
    You know what else is full of cellulose?? Lettuce! Yes, those b****ards at Green Giant are making us eat 'wood pulp'!!

Every plant derived food is full of cellulose - anything with a cell wall. Cell walls are cellulose.

So, yes, if the outrage is more about getting what you paid for, i.e., 'I wanted fat and meat, dammit, and I'm being shafted with plant fiber!', then ok, this is maybe an issue. If however, this is more about 'artificial' additives in food, I would worry about other things before this.

Think of it like this - what is it about 'wood' that is bothersome? If the cellulose were derived from broccoli, or lettuce, or seaweed, would that be an issue? Is it because wood is inedible for humans? We eat 'pre-wood' all the time (any non lignified plant material, particulalry leaf stems. What about an apple stalk, that's wood too). Sorry if this comes off as really flippant, but I think perspective is lacking here.

I understand where you are coming from but in this instance it is false advertising, basically adding a bulking agent to foods and it is not "plant fiber" it is leftovers that are cheaper for the companies to add in then actual ingredients. Say what you want but its things like this and other additives in processed foods that have lead America into obesity, diabetes, heart disease ect..
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    ....which is why I stay away from processed foods as much as possible. Shop the perimeter of the store, and you won't be eating that stuff.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Agree 100%. For anyone consuming any of the foods listed in that slide-show on a regular basis, cellulose should be the least of their worries!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Say what you want but its things like this and other additives in processed foods that have lead America into obesity, diabetes, heart disease ect..

No what has lead America into obesity is people unwilling to take responsabilty for themselves and blame everything on fast food companys, when its really easy to find out how to eat healthy.
  • crazymama2two
    Options

Say what you want but its things like this and other additives in processed foods that have lead America into obesity, diabetes, heart disease ect..

No what has lead America into obesity is people unwilling to take responsabilty for themselves and blame everything on fast food companys, when its really easy to find out how to eat healthy.

THIS!!!!!!!! and someone should probably google "meat glue" if you want to gross yourself out some more :)
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Meh, I don't think this "wood" be a problem.

Get it?

"Wood"

*ahem*

Wow, tough crowd.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I dont trust them at ALL either...right now they are trying to pass a bill that outlaws any supplements made after 1994...we can say goodbye to vitamins!!

My biggest complaint with the forums on MFP (and elsewhere) are the blanket generalities and statements that are tossed around. Just because something has been forwarded on the internet doesn't mean that it is true. No entire governmental agency is inherently evil, and the government is NOT out to take away your vitamins.
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/vitamins.asp a great place to start as always.
    Please note that this particular internet rumor has been circulating since 2005. Hmm....right up there with the nickel an email charge that we're all supposed to be paying by now, huh? LOL

I shall close with one of my favorite quotes:
    "I believe it is an established maxim in morals that he who makes an assertion without knowing whether it is true or false, is guilty of falsehood; and the accidental truth of the assertion, does not justify or excuse him. This maxim ought to be particularly held in view, when we contemplate an attack upon the reputation of our neighbor."----Abraham Lincoln
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options

This.
    I think this is more of a social perspective issue rather than a health issue. I have found no evidence that cellulose is unhealthy. In fact, evidence seems to point to it being healthy (full of fiber). If there is any evidence out there to the contrary, I'd like to see it.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

I understand where you are coming from but in this instance it is false advertising, basically adding a bulking agent to foods and it is not "plant fiber" it is leftovers that are cheaper for the companies to add in then actual ingredients. Say what you want but its things like this and other additives in processed foods that have lead America into obesity, diabetes, heart disease ect..

Actually, it is plant fiber. Maybe it's leftover plant fiber, but it's still plant fiber. That's what cellulose is.

We all know that processed foods are processed. They have fillers. I'm sure some fillers have more chances of negative effects than others. I just find it kind of funny that people are outraged that these *processed* foods have fillers in them. Write the company if you think they should quit using fillers and give you a more quality product, but it certainly isn't an FDA issue. There's no reason to ban a perfectly safe substance like cellulose. It certainly isn't contributing to any of those problems you mentioned... and actually, consuming more fiber (of which cellulose is an example) can improve blood cholesterol levels and various other components of our health!

If you're that paranoid about the added plant fiber then don't eat any of those foods. If enough people quit eating processed foods cold turkey, it would send a message to the manufacturers.

Me? I normally prefer my cellulose in the green-plant variety, but the occasional wheat thin or hot cocoa is pretty tasty too. :drinker: