Working parents - what's your workout schedule look like?

Options

Replies

• cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog each morning, no excuses. Then when I get off work will either go ride (horses), head to the work gym or do a workout at home after dinner. There is time in the day if you ask me, it's just making it important enough to give the time and like others said it doesn't have to be fancy. Do a dance party in the living room with your kids.

On the weekends we hike as a family, play football, kickball, etc. together. I also *try* to get into work early so I can leave to workout, get my kids and start dinner by 5:30.
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Nicki_pick wrote: »
    Wow.... okay. You early risers - what time do you go to bed at night?

I'm up most days around 5:45 and go to bed by 10. I need the sleep

• scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Typical schedule, with a single 8 year old:
    up at 6:00am, out the door to work at 6:15. M/W gym at lunch. T/Th run at lunch. Get home about 5pm. T/W/TH/F run after work for about an hour. Sat Sun, run for 60-90 minutes. Sat bike for about 60 min.
    Sunday is tough with Field hockey in the spring and fall and girl scouts from the weekend after next till June. I can run during either though - field hockey practice is 90 minutes.
  • Nicki_pick
    Nicki_pick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    DAMN. You guys are Killin' it! Thank you so much. This is incredibly motivating!
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    My wife is really supportive of me working out. My daughter goes to bed at 9pm every night. So I typically go to the Gym after she goes to bed. Or I'll be a member of the Dawn Patrol Running group or cycling group on the weekends and knock out my workout before she gets up.

Or well kill two birds with one stone I'll go on a 55-60 mile ride around the city in the morning and meet them somewhere for an early lunch.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic advice Joanna2012B. I actually work with children too, so this applies even more. You are absolutely right - it doesn't have to be fancy. I need to make use of the quiet moments in my life, even if I can just fit in a few minutes of some simple exercises.

If you work with children, why not fit in a 5 minute dance party at some point during the day. Pick a catchy tune and get the kids involved!! Not only will it get you moving, but them as well!!
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I work at 7am Mon-Fri. I get up at 4:30 and I'm in the gym by 5:30 (I commute to work and the gym is 2 blocks from work). If I get a day off or sometimes on weekends if I'm feeling it then I'll go for a run around my neighborhood, 3-5 miles depending on the day. I can go to a gym closer to my house on the weekends too that has daycare but my son doesn't love the daycare and I'm not usually super motivated to work out on weekends beyond just running.

eta: sometimes we have a long lunch and I'll go for a 30-45 walk with a coworker or if I have time I'll go to the gym (especially if I skipped the morning session, I'll bring my gym bag anyway just in case).
  • Nicki_pick
    Options
    That's fantastic advice Joanna2012B. I actually work with children too, so this applies even more. You are absolutely right - it doesn't have to be fancy. I need to make use of the quiet moments in my life, even if I can just fit in a few minutes of some simple exercises.

If you work with children, why not fit in a 5 minute dance party at some point during the day. Pick a catchy tune and get the kids involved!! Not only will it get you moving, but them as well!!

I do actually stay very active throughout the day. I dance, climb, play sports, etc with them. I also do active things with my own children - sports, biking, swimming, dancing, wrestling and the list goes on. Lots of naturally occurring cardio in my life. Truly. Though I love to run, what i really want right now is to work on toning. Not sure how to incorporate that into my day. I think I will try to carve out some time during 'nap' today. This time is usually used for clean up and lesson prep, food prep and what not, but maybe I can try moving some things around.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options

I am usually watching TV in bed around 9:30, asleep by 10. Including on the weekends. I am much more of a morning person than night

• tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    M-F, I wake between 4:30am - 4:45am. Gym time is 5:15 - 6:30. I go home, shower, dress and wake my kids for breakfast, dress, etc. I get them off to school at 8:30am and then I go to work until 5:30pm. I should really go to bed earlier than I do, considering how early I get up, but it's usually around 10pm.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I work at 7am Mon-Fri. I get up at 4:30 and I'm in the gym by 5:30 (I commute to work and the gym is 2 blocks from work). If I get a day off or sometimes on weekends if I'm feeling it then I'll go for a run around my neighborhood, 3-5 miles depending on the day. I can go to a gym closer to my house on the weekends too that has daycare but my son doesn't love the daycare and I'm not usually super motivated to work out on weekends beyond just running.

eta: sometimes we have a long lunch and I'll go for a 30-45 walk with a coworker or if I have time I'll go to the gym (especially if I skipped the morning session, I'll bring my gym bag anyway just in case).

Hah - we are pretty much routine twins! I do the exact same thing including going to the gym close to my work. It really cuts my commute time when I do it at 4:45 vs 6:30.
  • Ammey68
    Ammey68 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I work Monday through Friday during the day. I do at-home workouts or runs around 10pm after my daughter has been sleeping for an hour or so. Once I come home, I shower and relax, fall asleep around midnight, and wake up around 7am. I have way more energy in the evenings, so it works for me!
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I sneak it whenever I can--early mornings, after the kids are in bed, after my day job when I have a day off from my second job. It's not consistent, but I do OK. :smile:
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Like others, early up is what works for me. If you don't make time for exercise, work will take everything you have. Make time for exercise, and make time for sex.

Note my school age kids are old enough to put themselves to bed and mostly get themselves ready for school, I've always made them pack their own lunches, except in the years they qualified for free school lunch, and I have a large family so older kids help out.

5:00 wake, go for a run or long walk with the dog.
    return and get ready for work, yell at kids to get ready for school, grownup time together.
    7:30 leave to get kids to school so I can be to work before 9
    17:00 leave work if I am picking up (often Grandma will help by getting them from school to home.)
    18:00 home, start supper if older daughter isn't cooking
    19:00 Yoga class, kids have time for TV if not working on homework (they don't get much homework so can usually get it done in aftercare or at home before my return if Grandma delivers them home)
    somewhere between 20:00-21:00 Small supper with everyone after yoga, we do eat late.

Shower and bed. Need to be ASLEEP before 10PM for this to work.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

9:30-10.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person either. I've been waking up maybe once a week to work out in the mornings before work. Reading the responses got me motivated for sure! :)
  • Nicki_pick
    Options
    I hear ya Kelly0519. Same. These responses are very inspiring.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    6 days a week. 4 of them weekdays im out the Door no later that 4:45 am. I'm in the gym no longer than 1 hour 15 mins

Its a priority.

I come home after shower feed my family and head out to work. My fitness and my family are priorities. I found time where there was none.

I now live off of 6.5 hours of sleep and 2 espressos a day. its worked for going on 4 years
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I run in the early am (5) with a friend 2-3 days a week before work and lift at home in the evenings 2-3x a week. My kids have an early bedtime because they are young and that helps.

As a family we try to increase our non exercise activity - I run after my 2 and 4 year old while they bike, we go on lots of family hikes, play "soccer" in the park etc for leisure as opposed to activities where there is sitting. But that stuff is kid age dependent. I also always exercise during kids activities. I don't stand around and watch soccer or baseball practice for example. I do hill repeats or run around the field.
  • Nicki_pick
    Options
    Nice balance andylll. I admire that. I think balance is essentially what I'm aiming for. Work is ... well, work. My family is top priority though and I hate cutting into that time. I love the idea of running while they bike. Excellent! We also do a lot of active family things, but I'm finding that as my kids are both approaching puberty they want to be lazy butts more often then not. Lol
    I've thought about walking or running during my kids activities. I've done it a few times, but other parents stare. It's terribly awkward. Lol