Is there anybody out there with hypothyroidism that has sucess with weight loss

Options
I've been trying to loss weight since December,it's coming along. I had a baby and it left around 213lbs I'm now 188lbs. I try different things. I just started working out in the past month,working myself up cause I had a lot of back problems after him. I had physical therapy,now he gave me the okay to really work out he wants me to focus on my core cause it's really weak. I recently learned of the ketosis diet I tried it lost 10lbs had an infection and had to take meds for it which which I think knocked me out of the ketosis. I do the stick to check it and it's lite pink. So I'm not to sure. Either way I'm eating a lot better,more protein than ever. Not b if on meat but I had to put it in my mind every time I wanted something to eat it would be protein of some kind. On not giving up. I wanna be fit,my baby is 19months and I'm turning 40. Any advise I'm all ears. The work outs in doing are full body and body weight workouts I drink 10bottles of water a day

Replies

• Azjennrn
    Azjennrn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just started a nutritionally dense program. I have lost 13lbs in 14 days. I turn 50 on the 18th, I have hypothyroidism and take armour. Have had horrible time trying to loose weight. I have 40 to go but so far am really happy with the success I have had, and honestly it's been easy. Of your on Facebook I can add you to the private page you can check it out and see if it is for you. Good luck to you, let me know
  • elizabethpmiller1976
    Options
    Thanks, funny I turn 40 on the 18th of september. I don't get on Facebook much but I will if u sent that. Its under Elizabeth pepper Miller. And your doing a great I'm looking forward to trying this
  • elizabethpmiller1976
    Options
    I looked up this program. And got a foodlist,im gonna start on it Tuesday. I'll let u know the out come
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    I'm 20 years older than you, hypothyroid (well controlled with levothyroxine, which I take religiously, and according to instructions), and have lost 60+ pounds, most of it on MFP (which I joined after I started losing weight, when I hit a bit of a plateau).

What has worked is the basic MFP approach: Tracking what I eat, tracking my exercise, and using that information to maintain a sensible calorie deficit. I'm now in maintenance at 120 pounds (plus or minus 3) after starting out in April 2015 at 183.

I'm a long-term vegetarian (I don't think that's either helped or hindered, it's just a fact). I eat mostly regular one-ingredient foods I fix myself (eggs, milk, fruit, veggies, etc.) and a few more processed ones (higher-protein pasta, Ezekiel pita, etc.), with restaurant meals occasionally (maybe once or twice a week).

I try for a minimum of 0.6-0.8g protein daily per pound of healthy goal weight, around 0.35g fat daily per pound (as much of that as I can manage from healthy sources), and I prefer lots of fruits & veggies, typically much more than 5 servings daily. It's not that I think that's essential for weight-loss success, it's just how I enjoy eating, and what works best for me.

Working out is great for retaining as much muscle as possible while losing weight, and for one's health & vitality.

I know others report different (more difficult) experiences, but I've not found my (well controlled) hypothyroidism to present any special problems beyond what others without the condition experience, while I was losing weight.

IMO, the keys to success are setting a moderate calorie deficit for a weight loss rate that's sustainable over the long term, sticking to it the overwhelming majority of days, careful logging so you know what's going on, and use of the weight loss process to learn methods one can continue forever to remain at a healthy weight permanently, while eating in a way that's tasty, satisfying, and nutritious, and doing activities that are fun and contribute to strength and vitality.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and sans thyroid since 2000 due to thyroid cancer. I was processing out of the US Navy and stopped working out transitioning to my newfound cushy civilian life and ended up putting on ~70-80lbs over 14 years. About two years ago my wife found MFP wanting to get back in shape after having our third child. I joined as well and just tracked my intake and stepped up my activity. I lost ~60lbs over a year just observing CICO. Nothing particularly special about being hypothyroid other than the usual symptoms. I'm on .175/.200mcg alternating daily and get a full panel check every year.
  • elizabethpmiller1976
    Options
    Thanks guys. In gonna have to check to see if my doctors do a full panel check cause they always change my meds. Like right I feel great a lot of energy and when I go back next week she'll say we have to change your meds and then I go thru 2 weeks of being sleepy. I feel like an experiment most of the time. But I'll ask her what exactly they check
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Thanks guys. In gonna have to check to see if my doctors do a full panel check cause they always change my meds. Like right I feel great a lot of energy and when I go back next week she'll say we have to change your meds and then I go thru 2 weeks of being sleepy. I feel like an experiment most of the time. But I'll ask her what exactly they check

Consider asking for an actual copy of the lab report. I've always been able to get one, either from the doctor, or online from the lab. Then you'll know the exact details. If the report itself doesn't make sense to you, there's lots of helpful info online about interpreting what it says.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed simultaneously with diabetes and Hashimoto's thyroiditis in October. I'm down 65 lbs since then eating a low carb diet (which keeps my blood glucose normal). )(I have 7 more lbs to go, but I've been on hold since early May due to a breast cancer diagnosis - they don't want me to be eating at a calorie deficit while I'm in cancer treatment.)

Do make sure your doctor is running the full thyroic panel (TSH, T4, T3 and rT3, and adjusting accordingly).

I haven't noticed any difference losing weight with hypothyroidism than without.
  • elizabethpmiller1976
    Options
    So I'm back. I've been a little mad. I've changed so much ,eating better have up a lot of stuff only to go to the doctors and find out I'm 5lbs bigger. And my thyroid is way off. She called when I was at work So I couldn't talk much. She said my levels should be around .5 but I'm at 76. I told her I felt great. She changed meds to 100mg. It may have to be a lot higher but she wants to gradually increase. This is why I can't lose weight no matter what I do. So now it's a waiting game to see if it's right. So far I've had headaches for 2 days. Today was better. This is nothing me a for me I just wish they would get it right.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    So I'm back. I've been a little mad. I've changed so much ,eating better have up a lot of stuff only to go to the doctors and find out I'm 5lbs bigger. And my thyroid is way off. She called when I was at work So I couldn't talk much. She said my levels should be around .5 but I'm at 76. I told her I felt great. She changed meds to 100mg. It may have to be a lot higher but she wants to gradually increase. This is why I can't lose weight no matter what I do. So now it's a waiting game to see if it's right. So far I've had headaches for 2 days. Today was better. This is nothing me a for me I just wish they would get it right.

Gradual increase is the standard way it's done. Getting too high a dose is a bad thing, and it takes a period of weeks for your body to adjust to each incremental change. But, having gone through it myself, I understand how frustrating that process can be. Hang in there: Things will improve.
  • elizabethpmiller1976
    Options
    Thanks that's good to know
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    There is a 30 pound difference between my weight now, and my weight before I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's. Did I lose it just because I got thyroid medication? No. Getting thyroid medication cleared up a lot of my problem with depression, and I gradually started eating better, and being systematic and diligent about getting more intense and focused exercise. I didn't lose it all at once. It started with a ten pound loss, that I maintained for a long time. Then another change in my habits caused another five to ten pound loss, that I maintained. Then I decided that my ideal weight was probably lower, and I decided to make weight loss an actual goal. I was never more than slightly overweight, so it was never a critical thing.
  • cyberbav
    cyberbav Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with hypothyroidism 2 years ago after 30 year weight battle. I thought "finally" and expected more energy and weight loss once levels up to "normal". That was a big disappointment. I haven't noticed a bit of change so basically weight loss for me still means high protein, low carb, LOTS of exercise and about 1000 calories a day. (sometimes I can get away with 1200)

I started on Synthroid but it did nothing and further testing shows my body wasn't converting it to usable form. Moved to Armour Thyroid and slight improvement. Anyone else found a better thyroid med?
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Thanks, funny I turn 40 on the 18th of september. I don't get on Facebook much but I will if u sent that. Its under Elizabeth pepper Miller. And your doing a great I'm looking forward to trying this

Awesome birthday :) same as mine, although I'll be a bit older on mine!

What meds are you taking for your hypothyroid? I originally started with synthroid, but had to add another one, cytomel in order to get it completely in check. And it still gets monitored.

I eat a LCHF diet > 50 carbs 1000-1200 calories, and exercise regularly and I am losing.

It takes time as the others have said yo get everything to settle down.
    It definitely helps to get a copy of your bloodwork results I go through each thing and look things up to discuss with my dr if it's listed as out of the normal range. These days we need to be proactive in every aspect of our health.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Since about 2002 the new normal range of TSH is considered 0.3 - 3.0. Everything outside this range is largely treated based upon how the patient is feeling. Physicians are reluctant to shift dosage due largely due to liability and the association of a significantly higher risk of atrial fibrillation.

Don't request - insist on a copy of your lab results! You should never have to be rude and this is a really bad sign of a really bad doctor. I add my panel readings in line with my MFP journal and a personal spreadsheet where I track my vitals. Doctors love hard data over feelings, so let them know what you are doing with MFP and anything else you keep track of.

Don't give up on logging and tracking - tighten up logging your caloric intake/output. It sill comes down to CICO, but your metabolic factor is off by 10% or so.
  • Kaes114
    Kaes114 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism --- I'm on 200mcg of synthroid and it's so hard to loose - I understand the struggle. My dr has recommended gastric sleeve - so I'm in the early stages of the pre surgery diet- I've lost 9 pounds in 8 days
  • elizabethpmiller1976
    Options
    I'm new to this I don't know how to reply individually. I'm on levothyroxin 150mg for me that's 1.5 pills. I'm allergic to red dye so it's hard to find some doses in white. I had radioactive iodine done when I was 26 and I'm almost 40. Its been a struggle. Yeah I wanna give up sometimes,it's hard. Thanks for y'all support. I usually have a lot of problems mostly stomach. The doctors did tell me to work out and eat 1200 calories. I go back in 4 weeks to retest
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    I know for me (on levothyroxine for 30 years now) the best thing I did was lose 70 pounds. Everything evened out, I was able to get on and stay at a level dose for the levo, my hunger signals regulated, my hormonal response to stress regulated, etc.

Stay the course. You'll be glad you did.