High stress

Options
forestgypsy314
forestgypsy314 Posts: 19 Member
Not sure where else to post this but...what do you all do to relieve stress other than gym time (I already do that). I'm under a lot of stress lately and I see a counselor but I feel like I still feel really tense all the time and I usually attempt to bottle it in on a day to day basis so that my family doesn't get worried or feel stressed too. I don't want them to know how bad things are.

Replies

• mahammadtouseef
    mahammadtouseef Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sharing with family reduces stress and gives confidence to face the problem.
  • lenoresdream
    lenoresdream Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Do you have any hobbies that you find soothing or calming? Like reading or coloring books or crafts?

Meditation might help. Or yoga if you like that. Bottling it up is bad and can lead to a blow-up or taking your anger/stress out unintentionally on loved ones. (I speak from personal experience).

Do you have someone other than your counselor you can open up to that will keep it to themselves?
  • forestgypsy314
    Options
    Idk if I have someone else I can fully confide in other than my husband and I don't want to unload all this stress on him. He's going to be leaving soon to go fight wild fires and that's stressful enough for him. I have hobbies that I never have time for anymore lol.
  • navdeeprana
    navdeeprana Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    The only things that relieves stress for me and doing things that I am really like to do....not for others...but just the things I like to do ...in my own...like cooking....wathching movies....pumping iron without caring about anyone. Time runs.....we gota take time out somehow....its not impossible...choice is yours.

Stay strong!!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Going for evening walks, yoga, meditation, massage, coloring in a coloring book, music, dancing, laughing, doing something fun, sex, singing and humming, close eyes, calm and relaxing breathing, running my hands under water, reading, watching a movie that isn't stressful.
  • forestgypsy314
    Options
    You all are giving me wonderful ideas thank you
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Medical marijuana, if legal in your state.

• forestgypsy314
    Options
    It is legal here
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Just as long as you aren't one of those people that get paranoid from it.
  • ClubSilencio
    Options
    It is legal here

You could also start drinking green tea. It contains L-theanine which can produce a calming effect. I've taken L-theanine as a supplement and found it to be very beneficial during times of stress.

• BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Just as long as you aren't hypersensitive to caffeine. Lol! Sorry! But, I have a stress disorder. I am hypersensitive to caffeine. It worsens my stress.
  • ClubSilencio
    Options
    Just as long as you aren't hypersensitive to caffeine. Lol! Sorry! But, I have a stress disorder. I am hypersensitive to caffeine. It worsens my stress.

Good point. I don't consume caffeine but I figured that would be the cheaper route than buying L-theanine (which is extracted from green tea leaves but doesn't contain caffeine).

I vote for walking outdoors and meditation but if you're pressed for time then these are some quick options.

• BinaryPulsar
    Options
    It's definitely better to drink green tea rather than the pills. I don't know about l-theanine supplements specifically. But, green tea supplements can eventually cause liver damage for some people. I wonder about decaf green tea. The decaffination process removes about half of the antioxidants. I don't know about l-theanine.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I usually just chill by myself and watch movies with popcorn :) puzzles help take my mind off stuff too.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Find something you like to do that's involves exercise. Body and mind will feel less stressed
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Find something you like to do that's involves exercise. Body and mind will feel less stressed

Definitely. I always try to integrate exercise and active pursuits into fun, recreation, time with my husband, or with friends, with my children, and for vacation plans. It's so good for body, mind, and mood. For me walking and hiking, and all types of social and partner dancing. I'm a dancer as well, so I integrate exercise into my work as well. And ice skating or roller skating.
  • somni5775
    somni5775 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My kids and I are all high stress, so I feel your pain. Look at your diet...things like sugar, food allergies/sensitivites, and especially artificial food coloring can make it worse.

L-theanine supplements are quite safe. I did a lot of research on it before putting my 2 kids on it to naturally help with their stress & ADD symptoms. I take it as needed too. It works well for those of us who are a little more stressed than a cup or 2 of tea can handle. Obviously, if you can find stress relief without the use of supplements, that's ideal. But sometimes you need a little extra help and there are several natural supplements that are safe and effective.

There are also some good essential oils that help with stress. Just keep in mind that with supplements and oils, you want to make sure they are good quality (but that does not necessarily mean expensive). Also, acupuncture works great...if you don't have a fear of needles.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    I break *kitten* and kill things..... probably not the most positive outlets.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Meditation has really helped me through some stressful times. Relaxing at the beach and listening to the waves. Pray (if that is something you do)
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    somni5775 wrote: »
    My kids and I are all high stress, so I feel your pain. Look at your diet...things like sugar, food allergies/sensitivites, and especially artificial food coloring can make it worse.

L-theanine supplements are quite safe. I did a lot of research on it before putting my 2 kids on it to naturally help with their stress & ADD symptoms. I take it as needed too. It works well for those of us who are a little more stressed than a cup or 2 of tea can handle. Obviously, if you can find stress relief without the use of supplements, that's ideal. But sometimes you need a little extra help and there are several natural supplements that are safe and effective.

There are also some good essential oils that help with stress. Just keep in mind that with supplements and oils, you want to make sure they are good quality (but that does not necessarily mean expensive). Also, acupuncture works great...if you don't have a fear of needles.

Thanks for sharing this info with us all!