Ugh, what happened?!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    You lost 41 pounds in 3 months? That is an *extremely* fast rate, how many calories were you eating? Did your clothing seem to change enough for a 41 pound loss? How is your clothing fitting now after the 30 pound upswing?

I'm going to guess that your scale is not accurate. Change the battery, or maybe even the scale itself.

If you really gained 30 pounds in 2 weeks, that would indicate a serious medical issue (potentially life threatening water retention due to heart problems, for example). Are you experiencing shortness of breath or extreme tiredness?

If it's not a scale problem, you need to see a doctor ASAP.

But I'm still thinking it's your scale.

Yeah - 41 lb in 3(+?) months? At under 200 to begin with? Probably not that much.

A while back, I thought I was maintaining around a particular weight. Turns out my batteries were shot and I was actually 12 lb heavier.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited August 2016
    I can't imagine any amount of gatorade causing someone to retain 30lbs of water! more likely the scale!

One liter of gatorade is 450 grams of salt. 3 liters is 1,350 mg of sodium. Not too bad I suppose. But...3 liters of lemon lime [random flavor] is 4,040 calories. so it's actually quite calorific if you drink nothing but those all day. Not saying that's how much the OP drank. We have no idea. Just pointing out the gatorade cals can really add up.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Can you put something of a known weight on your scale? A dumbbell for example? 30lbs in two weeks, and 41lbs in 3 months, are both pretty extreme (the latter 30lbs more so of course).
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Your scale is broken. If it's not, you need to get to a doctor. NOW.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,587 Member
    If you have 30lbs of fluid retention somewhere in you (edema) this is a medical concern.
    Your description does not match a diet induced change.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    I think it's your scale. You probably didn't lose as much as you thought you did to begin with because 40lbs in3/4 months is a hell of a lot, perhaps you lost 10ish lbs and the weight the scale is now saying you've gained, was never lost?
  • I think it's your scale. You probably didn't lose as much as you thought you did to begin with because 40lbs in3/4 months is a hell of a lot, perhaps you lost 10ish lbs and the weight the scale is now saying you've gained, was never lost?

I'm willing to believe that's the case. I tried weighing an unopened bag of flour last night and it came up exact. No idea what's up with our scale.

This is the time of year that I usually deal with swelling in my feet and ankles, so it's not too far fetched to believe some of it is water. I'm confused because everything was fitting looser and I always weigh twice for accuracy. Not sure why it registered at 142 a couple weeks ago, but I'm going to address the concern with my doctor when I see her in the next few weeks.

It's disheartening, but I'm just going to carry on with my usual diet and exercise and hope for the best.
  • Colorscheme
    I think it's your scale. You probably didn't lose as much as you thought you did to begin with because 40lbs in3/4 months is a hell of a lot, perhaps you lost 10ish lbs and the weight the scale is now saying you've gained, was never lost?

I'm willing to believe that's the case. I tried weighing an unopened bag of flour last night and it came up exact. No idea what's up with our scale.

This is the time of year that I usually deal with swelling in my feet and ankles, so it's not too far fetched to believe some of it is water. I'm confused because everything was fitting looser and I always weigh twice for accuracy. Not sure why it registered at 142 a couple weeks ago, but I'm going to address the concern with my doctor when I see her in the next few weeks.

It's disheartening, but I'm just going to carry on with my usual diet and exercise and hope for the best.

Have you tried changing the scale batteries? sometimes that will screw up readings.
  • LynnBBQ72
    LynnBBQ72 Posts: 151 Member
    You might want to at least call your doctor without waiting 3 weeks and talk to the doctor or a nurse. My sister was 27 and gained maybe 10-12 lbs of water weight over the course of two weeks, mostly in her legs. She died in her sleep before the end of week 3, and never got around to calling the doctor. She was was maybe 20 lbs overweight, not obese by any means. And no previous medical conditions. The sudden weight gain can be a symptom of something very serious. Please take care of yourself.
  • Colorscheme
    LynnBBQ72 wrote: »
    You might want to at least call your doctor without waiting 3 weeks and talk to the doctor or a nurse. My sister was 27 and gained maybe 10-12 lbs of water weight over the course of two weeks, mostly in her legs. She died in her sleep before the end of week 3, and never got around to calling the doctor. She was was maybe 20 lbs overweight, not obese by any means. And no previous medical conditions. The sudden weight gain can be a symptom of something very serious. Please take care of yourself.

That's so sad! Did she have undiagnosed heart failure?
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    OP, you mentioned oncologist, so perhaps are on a variety of medications with potentially serious side effects including damage to kidney/liver/heart/etc.?

Was your "stomach flu" self-diagnosed or did you see a doctor at that time and get blood testing/stool cultures/etc.? The rapid weight loss/weight gain/gastro troubles could all be part of a larger problem.

3 weeks is too long to wait.
  • LynnBBQ72

No, they did an autopsy and all kinds of post-mortem tests and could not find an answer. No heart issues, no legal or illegal drugs... nothing out of the ordinary. The could never determine what happened so they just ruled it a Death Due To Natural Causes. She left behind 5 young kids, who are now grown, but they don't know if they should be watching for any specific warning signs for hereditary diseases. Scary.
  • Colorscheme

No, they did an autopsy and all kinds of post-mortem tests and could not find an answer. No heart issues, no legal or illegal drugs... nothing out of the ordinary. The could never determine what happened so they just ruled it a Death Due To Natural Causes. She left behind 5 young kids, who are now grown, but they don't know if they should be watching for any specific warning signs for hereditary diseases. Scary.

Man, that's really awful. I'm sorry :/
  • hereforthelolz
    hereforthelolz Posts: 51 Member
    My husband has end stage kidney disease and has gone to the ER for similar amounts of weight gain in a short period of time. If it were me I would not wait to get into your oncologist.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Please go to your doctor sooner than later.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing this story.

OP, is there a health line you can call? They will likely tell you to go get checked out ASAP. This could be life threatening.
  • LynnBBQ72

I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing this story.

OP, is there a health line you can call? They will likely tell you to go get checked out ASAP. This could be life threatening. [/quote]

Didn't mean to hijack the thread - my point is like so many others have posted... 30 lbs in a couple of weeks is just not normal and could be very dangerous. It might be nothing serious but please do not wait 3 weeks to see a doctor.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    I spent from May until August losing weight and had done so pretty successfully. I was down from 183 to 142 and felt pretty good about it. And then two weeks ago the worst (and seemingly the most impossible) thing happened.

I got the stomach flu and couldn't really eat anything for a week. I ate little bits here and there, but mostly my intake was clear liquids and sports drinks. You'd think this meant a ton of weight loss right? You would be wrong.

Somehow, in the last two ish weeks I've gained 30 pounds! Thirty! How the hell is that even possible? I've resumed my normal exercise routine, resumed normal eating habits and I still only seem to be gaining weight. I know they say any weight put on quickly is weight that can be lost quickly, but how long is it supposed to take to get back to square one?

Feeling defeated

Check your scale. It could be broken or batteries not working. I'm not expert by any means, but I don't believe it is possible to gain 30 pounds of fat in 2 weeks.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Didn't mean to hijack the thread - my point is like so many others have posted... 30 lbs in a couple of weeks is just not normal and could be very dangerous. It might be nothing serious but please do not wait 3 weeks to see a doctor.

Your post was an appropriate example that highlighted the concerns the rest of us were expressing. Not hijacking (in my opinion).
  • Thank you all for the abundant feedback. I'm a three year cancer survivor, so there's a lot that could be happening as there are long term risks associated with my treatments. I will heed the advice and at least place a call to my local nurse line to make sure there's nothing to worry about.

I weighed a 10 pound bag of flour on my scale and it was completely accurate. Something is up for sure.