Always under on Calorie Goal

Options
mskupnick
mskupnick Posts: 3 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi,

I am always under on my calorie goal but not hungry. I am doing the Keto diet, which is high protein, and fat, with no carbs. I am 6'5" and weigh about 387lbs. My goal is set at 2600 calories a day by myfitnesspal. I try to walk about 5 miles a day, and with the exercise, I always come in way under 1000-1500 short of my calorie goal but I am not hungry and have cut back junk substantially. Any advise, or if this is ok.

Replies

• sflisher
    sflisher Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bulletproof Coffee!! and listen to the podcasts. It will change your life! Good luck bro and stick with it! www.bulletproofexec.com

I am trying the keto diet as well but not to lose weight. I am veggie and also find it tough to keep the calorie numbers going. But I don't worry about calories too much. Mostly am getting it from healthy fats (Grass fed butter, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil). I have a tough time making the daily protein and a bunch of other nutrients.

Would be interesting to understand how much protein you are getting daily.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    How many calories a day are you consuming?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Add nuts, cheese, butter, and olive oil to what you are eating. Easy way to raise calories without too much volume.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of easy ways to add calories without adding much bulk.
    1. Drink some calories. Have a glass of juice or a smoothie or a protein shake.
    2. Add more fats to your meals. Put butter, another oil or cheese on your veggies. Add avocado.
    3. Nuts are an easy source of good fats. Sprinkle them on salads or eat a handful as a snack.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    With what you have to lose, I wouldn't even worry about it.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    1,100-1,600 calories a day is less than one-third of your TDEE. That's not healthy or safe. Are you sure you're tracking your calories accurately?
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    coconut oil, peanut butter, there u go 500kcal immediately
  • mskupnick
    mskupnick Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips. My intake is between 1400 to 2100 calories depending on the day. By the end of the day, With my excercise i still have around 1100 to 1500 calories left.
  • flimflam87
    flimflam87 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body, if you're not hungry don't eat!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    flimflam87 wrote: »
    Listen to your body, if you're not hungry don't eat!

This isn't the greatest advice. A day every now and then of undereating is fine. But consistently eating well below what you burn can lead to more muscle loss and other health issues. Granted, the OP has more fat stores to burn so it wouldn't be that much of an issue there, but he may not be getting enough nutrients eating that low.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I started this when I weighed 272 so it's a bit different from you. With my exercises on a treadmill I often had 1000 calories remaining every day. My goal was set to lose .5 lb per week so I was effectively eating at a level to lose 2 lb per week. As long as you're over 200 that's reasonable and doable.