Options

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    s_hossein wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »

I dont do cardio, but I was thinking maybe 2x a week to help create ab definition

Again as I mentioned, cardio is not for body composition and won't do anything for ab definition. If you are bulking don't focus on ab definition since that will be counterproductive to your goals. You can do ab work when bulking so that will help build up the muscle which will be seen when you cut down again.

The more cardio you do, the more you will have to eat. If you don't you won't gain and you essentially are maintaining and not bulking and you may not get the results you desire.

Oh I see..
    Do you think the m&s program is good enough

You may want to add some extra glute work like hip thrusts and bridges (with a dumbbell on your lap, using bands, single-leg etc) and then either a day of glute circuits or at the end of your workouts. Or.. you can run Strong Curves (you said you had the book right? Not sure if you didn't like it or what).. many of the moves can be modified to use dumbbells (check out the SC index) there is also the bodyweight template too. If you do SC I would still add in the band circuits by Sohee as well.
  • s_hossein
    s_hossein Posts: 143 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options

You may want to add some extra glute work like hip thrusts and bridges (with a dumbbell on your lap, using bands, single-leg etc) and then either a day of glute circuits or at the end of your workouts. Or.. you can run Strong Curves (you said you had the book right? Not sure if you didn't like it or what).. many of the moves can be modified to use dumbbells (check out the SC index) there is also the bodyweight template too. If you do SC I would still add in the band circuits by Sohee as well.

I'll start SC again.
    Is 3 months enough for bulking on 2,000 - 2,300?
    I see a lot of people increasing fat intake, does that help or should I keep it low
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options

I'll start SC again.
    Is 3 months enough for bulking on 2,000 - 2,300?
    I see a lot of people increasing fat intake, does that help or should I keep it low

12 weeks might not be enough depending on how fast you gain; muscle would only be roughly 3 to 4 lbs in that time frame (weight would be 9 to 12). But after 3 months you could assess how you look and either go to a recomp or keep going for another month or two.

Most would suggest bulk until you hate yourself lol
  • s_hossein
    edited August 2016
    Options

12 weeks might not be enough depending on how fast you gain; muscle would only be roughly 3 to 4 lbs in that time frame (weight would be 9 to 12). But after 3 months you could assess how you look and either go to a recomp or keep going for another month or two.

Okayy so definition comes later on..
    Would SC make a difference to my upper body at all
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Okayy so definition comes later on..
    Would SC make a difference to my upper body at all

Yes, definition comes as you follow your bulk with a small cut. And yes SC does have upper body and will help with that.
  • s_hossein
    edited August 2016
    Options

If you've tried SC, which ones were the best? The glute dominant or it doesnt matter?

• sardelsa
    edited August 2016
    Options

If you've tried SC, which ones were the best? The glute dominant or it doesnt matter?

Which SC exercises or which programs?
  • s_hossein
    edited August 2016
    Options

Which SC exercises or which programs?

The programs within, like the beginner etc

• sardelsa
    Options
    I ran the lower body one Gorgeous Glutes. I eventually subbed in my own upper body work though, but probably should have just ran the full program looking back now.

I also did a modified version of the bodyweight program while I was pregnant (I used some dumbbells and bands).

Booty-ful beginnings might be best for you because you have limited equipment and it starts off with mostly bodyweight and dumbbells.
  • s_hossein
    Options
    I ran the lower body one Gorgeous Glutes. I eventually subbed in my own upper body work though, but probably should have just ran the full program looking back now.

I also did a modified version of the bodyweight program while I was pregnant (I used some dumbbells and bands).

Booty-ful beginnings might be best for you because you have limited equipment and it starts off with mostly bodyweight and dumbbells.

In the book theres something about working the glutes even in rest days. Did you do exercises on rest days too?
  • sardelsa
    Options

In the book theres something about working the glutes even in rest days. Did you do exercises on rest days too?

In the beginning yes, I did some glute activation because I was really weak in the glutes. Now I can feel my glutes working pretty much in everything I do.. I think it is important of you are not feeling it as much when you do hip thrusts and bridges
  • s_hossein
    edited August 2016
    Options

In the beginning yes, I did some glute activation because I was really weak in the glutes. Now I can feel my glutes working pretty much in everything I do.. I think it is important of you are not feeling it as much when you do hip thrusts and bridges

Glute activation is just those 4 exercises in the warm up right?

• sardelsa
    edited August 2016
    Options

Glute activation is just those 4 exercises in the warm up right?

The main ones ya (on pg.25-26) But you can experiment with the other ones on pg. 189-192.. even just 5-10min a day. You will get so much more out of the program if you can activate your glutes optimally.
  • s_hossein
    edited August 2016
    Options

The main ones ya (on pg.25-26) But you can experiment with the other ones on pg. 189-192.. even just 5-10min a day. You will get so much more out of the program if you can activate your glutes optimally.

Do you know if those that were trying to lose weight on SC saw any results?

• sardelsa
    Options
    In people that have fat to lose, lifting while at deficit will maintain the existing muscle I wouldn't expect significant booty growth though.

If you are already lean, I would recommend a bulk or recomp for results. If you want to add significant muscle I would definitely bulk.

What kind of results are you looking for?
  • s_hossein
    Options
    @sardelsa something like this, qnnoea4xquy6.jpeg

• sardelsa
    Options
    From what I can tell, she seems to have a bikini competitor physique. She has probably done a few bulk/cut cycles, as well as proper macros and programming. Keep in mind this kind of body can take YEARS to build, of course genetics will play a roll as well. I have been working on my glutes for two years now (with a pregnancy in between) and they definitely don't look like that (yet)!

But it all depends what you are starting with? If you don't want to post a picture, maybe try to describe with your stats? If you are very lean, you will definitely benefit from a bulk cycle doing Strong Curves or something similar.
  • s_hossein
    Options
    @sardelsa I'm skinny-fat- the fat is in my stomach and the rest is slim. I'm 47kg and only 5ft1 I tried to bulk twice, and I reached 53kg but then hit plateau and now back at 47. Ive learnt not to compare myself to these girls, but then I see pictures of toned skinny girls with abs and a booty lol. I could post a pic if it helps?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Since bulking hasn't worked for you in the past and you are at a healthy weight, maybe try recomp? (eating at maintenance and lifting). That is what I am doing right now, and I think it's working.