I had Roux-en Y gastric bypass. Ask me anything.

Options

Ask me anything related to the topic

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    how many calories should you eat?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you get to your goal weight?
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I just met with my nutritionist. She suggested I eat 600-800 calories a day.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    How long ago did you have it? How has the progression from clear liquids to solids gone? How are you feeling? I'm going to be having a gastric sleeve done around the first of December. I know that they are not the same, but I know that there are many similarities. How much have you lost? You look fantastic in your picture.
  • THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I too had Bariatric Surgery! 3 years post-op. I had the Sleeve, but I kinda know some stuff that is the same is as Gastric Bypass Roux-en-Y! If you just had it recently, all you can drink right now is liquids! In terms of moving around, how much can you do right now! Don't be afraid to friend me! I've been there and still struggling! It's a hard and long journey, but you can do it!
  • Trevorthegnome
    Trevorthegnome Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    good luck
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just met with my surgeon today for my 2nd appointment. Got a surgery date of 11/2. Nervous, and worried about complications like Petersen's Hernia. Did your surgeon talk to you at all about this?
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    (I lost 120 pounds, gained 90 back, which is why I am not as thin as my picture. I should change it, I suppose.)
  • slepygrl
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    how many calories should you eat?

600-800 a day
  • slepygrl
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Did you get to your goal weight?

I don't have a goal weight. I think I would like to drop 20 more lbs.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    600 to 800 is low. Are you fatigued at all?
  • slepygrl
    Options
    How long ago did you have it? How has the progression from clear liquids to solids gone? How are you feeling? I'm going to be having a gastric sleeve done around the first of December. I know that they are not the same, but I know that there are many similarities. How much have you lost? You look fantastic in your picture.

4 months

I didn't have to do the clear diet pre-op. THANK GOD!!!! Post-op I did. It sucked. The hardest was pureed. You get tired of eating mush. But eating normal food scared me to death.

I'm feeling good. I have no regrets!

60 lbs

Good luck on your surgery. Listen to the doctor! Follow the rules!!!!
  • slepygrl
    Options
    tidesong wrote: »
    I just met with my surgeon today for my 2nd appointment. Got a surgery date of 11/2. Nervous, and worried about complications like Petersen's Hernia. Did your surgeon talk to you at all about this?

Nope! Listen to the doctor. Follow the rules. You will be fine!
  • slepygrl
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    600 to 800 is low. Are you fatigued at all?

It's exactly where I should be.
    I'm feeling pretty good. I exercise, chase 3 kids and work full time.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    When you reach your ultimate goal weight, what will be your maintenance calories?
  • skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a question ......why did you do it???
  • slepygrl
    Options
    skyeashlee wrote: »
    I have a question ......why did you do it

I was starting to develop health problems. Diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea. I have pcos. Loosing weight is very hard for me. I would eat 1200 calories a day and long hard workouts. And not loose weight.
    After I ran a 1/2 marathon I decided I had had enough. I never looked back after I made up my mind.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Can I ask if you tried eating 600-800 a day before having the surgery?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Four months post op. Congrats! I have passed my two year anniversary.

I notice the American program is very low calorie for the first year. I was encouraged to get to 1200 calories within six months.

With so few calories daily are you experiencing any side effects like brittle nails or hair?

Do you have any food intolerances?

Have you had any "dumping" events?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Four months post op. Congrats! I have passed my two year anniversary.

I notice the American program is very low calorie for the first year. I was encouraged to get to 1200 calories within six months.

With so few calories daily are you experiencing any side effects like brittle nails or hair?

Do you have any food intolerances?

Have you had any "dumping" events?

What are dumping events?