A habit or something missing?

Options
Every night after my evening meal I simply have to have a sweet! It doesn't matter what the sweet is, could be a piece of fruit or a spoon of peanut butter. But I can't determine if it's simply become a habit or if I'm missing a nutrient. I'd say my nutrition is pretty rounded out with a good variety. I get plenty of protein and veggies. I don't eat a lot of sweets and I'm not hungry, just a craving really. I don't feel as if I'm addicted to sugar. Maybe because I do a lot of cardio and my body wants to replace the sugars? I am at a loss. Any thoughts?

Replies

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I would say its a habit and the wanting something that tastes good
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that too, but don't want to believe that I've developed that habit and now have to break it lol!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Maybe just because it tastes good and provides and ending to your meal.
    Make it fit your calorie goal and enjoy!
    I love some chocolate or fruit after lunch or dinner or even both if there's room in my day.
    Sometimes even some ice cream.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I find I often want something sweet to give a change of taste in my mouth.

I do one of the following:

Have a hot chocolate (I have some that are 40 calories)

Have a liqueur such as cognac, limoncello, Strega etc.

Have a peppermint tea.

The last one is generally the most successful at satisfying the desire.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've always found that if I have a dinner high in carbs that I always want something sweet at the end of it. When I was eating low carb that didn't happen.

You might have a piece of gum after dinner rather than actually eating food. It'd do double duty of cleaning your teeth a bit as well as clearing your palate.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it is a habit. I have this habit too and I love my dinner desert. Nothing wrong with it. I fit it into my calories. If something happened during the day and I can't afford the desert calories I only have a diet coke. Does the job for me.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I tend to think that too, but don't want to believe that I've developed that habit and now have to break it lol!

It being a habit doesn't make it bad. If it's not interfering with your goals, there's no reason to break it.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I don't consider it bad at all and I do make it fit into my overall goals. I just try to strive for a clean nutrition plan. For the most part I stick to a healthy sweet, sometimes it's not lol! My concern was that in not getting a nutrient that I might need. But it probably is a habit. I can't do fake sugar, trying to trick my brain like that only leads to a stronger craving.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    Sometimes a tea helps. I tried those meal ender candies, they were crap!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    check your macros to see if something IS missing
  • etguillemette
    etguillemette Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating more bitter foods? Perhaps anecdotal, but I've noticed that since taking my coffee black and drinking extremely bitter craft beer, I barely ever crave sweet stuff. My palate has shifted more towards the bitter end, so that sweet is too sweet.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It's a habit. I got myself into the habit of having a portion of bread with my dinner. Last night I did not and it just felt wrong.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Who said it needs broken? I save calories every night for something sweet (usually ice cream).
  • Lindsay_the_great
    Lindsay_the_great Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I have the same habit. I save my fruit for my dessert.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I have dessert every night. It is definitely a habit, and a hard one to break. I'll be totally stuffed after dinner but i still need that sweet fix regardless. It's like my brain has become accustomed to something sweet straight after my meal.
    The feeling only hits at dinner time, i rarely get sweet cravings during the day.
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I don't consider it bad at all and I do make it fit into my overall goals. I just try to strive for a clean nutrition plan. For the most part I stick to a healthy sweet, sometimes it's not lol! My concern was that in not getting a nutrient that I might need. But it probably is a habit. I can't do fake sugar, trying to trick my brain like that only leads to a stronger craving.

Assuming you're meeting micro and macronutrient needs, and assuming your overall diet contains a reasonable number of calories for your activity levels to prevent excess fat accumulation, I'm not aware of any evidence that a moderate amount of "junk food" is detrimental, at all.

Once nutrient needs are met, you don't get extra credit for going beyond that, or eating a completely "clean" diet.

Note: I'm certainly not intending to attack your dieting philosophy so hopefully you don't take this personally. I think many people can take the idea of "clean eating" too far, where they are eating a very healthy diet and worried about the 1 processed thing they ate that day/etc.

Hey, no not taking it personally at all. I've found what basically works for me and I truly don't take "clean eating" to a crazy level. I really do feel better eating this way so I'm sticking with it! I come close to my macros everyday sometimes hitting them spot-on. I do tend to under eat and over burn, but that's just me. I think I am reasonable with my choices and targets. I am not against junk food either :smile: Thanks for the comment!