Antidepressants and weight gain...

Options
Hello everyone,
I've gained 10+ lb in one month after starting an antidepressant. I couldn't believe it at first because I've been tracking calories meticulously for years. I double-checked my accuracy - normal. I've been eating to lose or maintain with one cheat day or so per month where I eat 1900 cals.
Will this weight come off when my metabolism gets used to the med? What should I do? It seems like I'd have to starve to lose weight! (I don't have time to go to the gym; I take walks instead.)

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything? Be careful of calorie creep!
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on my antidepressants.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Im not sure about this one. Definitely worth mentioning to your DR
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It's not about your metabolism. It is possible to lose weight while on these medications. :)
    Eat less than you are eating now and increase your exercise if you can.
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Years ago I took an antidepressant, Celexa and gained about 10 lbs in a month. When I took myself off the drug, I lost it in a month. I believe you! Talk to your Dr. about this. Maybe they can change up your medication.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I lost weight on my antidepressants.

Me too (and I didn't want to). Killed my appetite completely
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what Anti-Depressent you are on. The majority of SSRI's (Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, etc) have been shown empirically to contribute to weight gain in ~20% of those taking them. NDRI's, such as Wellbutrin, are often prescribed to people to people who are worried about their weight. There are some new drugs out there like Trintellix that do not fall into either the SSRI or NDRI group and in clinical trials have shown to be less likely to cause weight gain.

Of course, these anti-depressants are not interchangeable. If your MD has you on Lexapro, it may be because anxiety is the prominent symptom, whereas Wellbutrin works better for Major Depression. If you are seriously in need of medication, and are concerned about weight gain, talk to a MD psychiatrist instead of a MD General Prac or Internist. The Psych will be much better informed about your options as it is their specialty.

All that being said, perhaps the most common symptom of depression is a change in weight. For some, depression will cause them to not eat, while others will eat as a form of 'self soothing'. Also, depression usually causes people to withdraw and isolate, which would keep you from being active or having the motivation to go to the gym.

If you feel the medication is working, better to look at a change in your eating habits rather than a change in medication.
  • mstarorusskoye
    mstarorusskoye Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything? Be careful of calorie creep!

Yeah. For two weeks, I got so frustrated that I cut back to 1000 per day - to no avail. Normally, I'm between 1300 and 1500 per day. I used to believe the "calories in = calories out" theory, but it's obviously not true.

I guess there's not much to do but keep up the struggle, even though it's all so depressing in and of itself....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    MilesAddie wrote: »
    It really depends on what Anti-Depressent you are on. The majority of SSRI's (Paxil, Prozac, Lexapro, etc) have been shown empirically to contribute to weight gain in ~20% of those taking them. NDRI's, such as Wellbutrin, are often prescribed to people to people who are worried about their weight. There are some new drugs out there like Trintellix that do not fall into either the SSRI or NDRI group and in clinical trials have shown to be less likely to cause weight gain.

Of course, these anti-depressants are not interchangeable. If your MD has you on Lexapro, it may be because anxiety is the prominent symptom, whereas Wellbutrin works better for Major Depression. If you are seriously in need of medication, and are concerned about weight gain, talk to a MD psychiatrist instead of a MD General Prac or Internist. The Psych will be much better informed about your options as it is their specialty.

All that being said, perhaps the most common symptom of depression is a change in weight. For some, depression will cause them to not eat, while others will eat as a form of 'self soothing'. Also, depression usually causes people to withdraw and isolate, which would keep you from being active or having the motivation to go to the gym.

If you feel the medication is working, better to look at a change in your eating habits rather than a change in medication.

I take Wellbutrin for depression and exercise for anxiety :)

Well, I do have some Xanax but need it very, very rarely.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I think it's highly individual. A few years ago, I gained weight while taking Zoloft. My doctor told me it can happen and I had to be very careful.