Replies

• xx_steph_xx
    xx_steph_xx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Why hasn't all my comment shown above??? Grrrr lol
  • Sebechtel
    Sebechtel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am 23 also. SAH mom of a little boy. I'm trying to lose at least 30lbs by january, but my total goal is 60 lbs. I would love to have people go help me stay motivated and that I can motivate also!
  • SavannahJJ93
    SavannahJJ93 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    fuzzydogpa wrote: »
    I don't have too much to lose. I'm just wanting to shred some body fat and gain some lean muscle but I do know a thing or two about eating for fat loss. Most people who eat due to being hungry a lot are insulin resistant. And I know it sounds counter intuitive but you have to eat fat to lose the fat while restricting your carbs. Carbs drive up insulin and it is the fat storage hormone. So if you are binge eating then do it on foods that won't drive up insulin. Chose pickles or olives or meats and cheeses. Avoid sugar and limit fruits to only berries until you reach your goal. Eat lots of non-starchy veggies. No flour, no pasta, no sugar, no rice, no oatmeal, no potatoes, no grains or cereal. You can make a low carb cereal by taking coconut flakes, walnuts, sesame and flax seeds, almonds and sprinkling them with cinnamon and some vanilla and stevia and toasting it in an oven and then storing that for use in place of cereal. You can substitute steamed grated cauliflower in recipes calling for potatoes or rice or use spiral cut zucchini instead of pasta or use spaghetti squash or miracle noodles or miracle rice. You look at how you are eating and where the carbs are coming from and you simply substitute the carbs with low carb replacements. Also do some weight training so that you don't burn up muscle while losing body fat. Retaining your muscle will keep your metabolism from decreasing and give you a leaner look as the fat burns off. Don't pay attention to the scale as a pound of muscle is very condensed on your body whereas a pound of fat takes up a large volume on your body. So losing a 10 lbs of fat will look drastically different than losing 10 lbs of muscle. Just take an article of clothing that is tight and keep trying it on until it fits well and then gets looser and then just keep doing that with some article of clothing. That is a better way to judge your progress and stay motivated. Water retention can cause our weight to fluctuate +5 /- 5 lbs daily which an be discouraging if seeking validation from a scale. I also put pics on my fridge of what I want my body to look like and every time I think about opening the fridge or the pantry and mindlessly snacking I look at the pics. If you have to snack then do it on deviled eggs, or pickles, or meat and cheese or celery. Some good recipe websites are I breath I'm hungry, Peace Love and low carb, and All Day I Dream About Food. Hope this helps some of you.

The bolded is the only part of this post that is universally valid, especially for women.

As to the LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) diet that is being touted in the above post as the route to success, LCHF is only ONE way of perhaps attaining your goals, but it is certainly not the ONLY (and in a lot of cases, not even the best) way to achieve this.

A restrictive diet such as this, which places foods in categories that are either good or bad, is neither necessary nor sustainable for most people. Losing weight really boils down to a very simple premise: Eat less, move more. However you decide to achieve that is entirely up to you.

Sugar is not evil. Potatoes are not the devil. You absolutely CAN lose weight while still eating the foods you love. It's a question of moderation rather than elimination.

I just might love you. This is awesome, thank youuuuuuu!!!!!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I don't have too much to lose. I'm just wanting to shred some body fat and gain some lean muscle but I do know a thing or two about eating for fat loss. Most people who eat due to being hungry a lot are insulin resistant. And I know it sounds counter intuitive but you have to eat fat to lose the fat while restricting your carbs. Carbs drive up insulin and it is the fat storage hormone. So if you are binge eating then do it on foods that won't drive up insulin. Chose pickles or olives or meats and cheeses. Avoid sugar and limit fruits to only berries until you reach your goal. Eat lots of non-starchy veggies. No flour, no pasta, no sugar, no rice, no oatmeal, no potatoes, no grains or cereal. You can make a low carb cereal by taking coconut flakes, walnuts, sesame and flax seeds, almonds and sprinkling them with cinnamon and some vanilla and stevia and toasting it in an oven and then storing that for use in place of cereal. You can substitute steamed grated cauliflower in recipes calling for potatoes or rice or use spiral cut zucchini instead of pasta or use spaghetti squash or miracle noodles or miracle rice. You look at how you are eating and where the carbs are coming from and you simply substitute the carbs with low carb replacements. Also do some weight training so that you don't burn up muscle while losing body fat. Retaining your muscle will keep your metabolism from decreasing and give you a leaner look as the fat burns off. Don't pay attention to the scale as a pound of muscle is very condensed on your body whereas a pound of fat takes up a large volume on your body. So losing a 10 lbs of fat will look drastically different than losing 10 lbs of muscle. Just take an article of clothing that is tight and keep trying it on until it fits well and then gets looser and then just keep doing that with some article of clothing. That is a better way to judge your progress and stay motivated. Water retention can cause our weight to fluctuate +5 /- 5 lbs daily which an be discouraging if seeking validation from a scale. I also put pics on my fridge of what I want my body to look like and every time I think about opening the fridge or the pantry and mindlessly snacking I look at the pics. If you have to snack then do it on deviled eggs, or pickles, or meat and cheese or celery. Some good recipe websites are I breath I'm hungry, Peace Love and low carb, and All Day I Dream About Food. Hope this helps some of you.

The bolded is the only part of this post that is universally valid, especially for women.

As to the LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) diet that is being touted in the above post as the route to success, LCHF is only ONE way of perhaps attaining your goals, but it is certainly not the ONLY (and in a lot of cases, not even the best) way to achieve this.

A restrictive diet such as this, which places foods in categories that are either good or bad, is neither necessary nor sustainable for most people. Losing weight really boils down to a very simple premise: Eat less, move more. However you decide to achieve that is entirely up to you.

Sugar is not evil. Potatoes are not the devil. You absolutely CAN lose weight while still eating the foods you love. It's a question of moderation rather than elimination.

^^^^ this.
  • amybluefish
    amybluefish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have had this account for years and had great success until my husband passed away then it went to hell. Today is day 1 of my new life. I have 10 kids, 8 still at home all are in school so now there is time for me! I really would like friends and encouragement too
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Another tip - get 7-8hrs of sleep. Lack of sleep amps up your stress hormone making you hungrier studies show.
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Thank you so much for this post. That is why so many people fail I believe because they are taught food are bad or good. When I started eight months ago I got so confused I had to stay off the message board. I had people tell me I wasn't eating enough, too much, I needed low carb no wait high carb. I came close to quiting. Thankfully I just stuck to what works for me.

Calories in and out. That is what I did. I ate only serving size and moved more. I also switched only to water. I try to follow IIFYM but until my gallbladder is out I am stuck with low fat. I also do Intermittent Fasting.

In my journey I found myself and what works for me. @SavannahJJ93 find what works for you and you will lose weight.
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'm not sure how to add people
  • Bloomingin30
    Bloomingin30 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose around 60lbs. Would love to meet like-minded people! :) Add welcome.
  • SavannahJJ93
    Options
    Added both you ladies! ☺
  • SavannahJJ93
    Options
    Bump! Feel free to add ☺✌
  • maiisleem
    maiisleem Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi! Im 27yo and Im new here .. I never used this app before! Dunno how to use it yet :neutral: either .. Im a new mom for a little boy .. Im a stay home mom and Im trying to lose weight since he came .. I already lost18 pound and Im looking for losing 20lb more .. but its really not working and Im breastfeeding I cant change my diet bc of that .. I dunno what to do so I can lose that weight and go back to my healthy old weight .. my son takes all my time .. and yesterday I just started doing some fast workout at home bc my son needs me around all the time or he'll start crying and I only get to do the exercises when he's napping .. I would love hearing some advices of how can I lose the 20lb left without affecting my milk supply :smile:
    thanks!
  • SavannahJJ93
    Options
    maiisleem wrote: »
    Hi! Im 27yo and Im new here .. I never used this app before! Dunno how to use it yet :neutral: either .. Im a new mom for a little boy .. Im a stay home mom and Im trying to lose weight since he came .. I already lost18 pound and Im looking for losing 20lb more .. but its really not working and Im breastfeeding I cant change my diet bc of that .. I dunno what to do so I can lose that weight and go back to my healthy old weight .. my son takes all my time .. and yesterday I just started doing some fast workout at home bc my son needs me around all the time or he'll start crying and I only get to do the exercises when he's napping .. I would love hearing some advices of how can I lose the 20lb left without affecting my milk supply :smile:
    thanks!

I wasnt able to breastfeed longer than a week. I mean, maybe add in more veggies & lean meats? Your babys health is #1 and honestly, 20lbs isnt too much to lose when youve already lost 18. Maybe other mommies here have some ideas....?
  • louann_jude
    louann_jude Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    maiisleem wrote: »
    thanks!

I do a lot of youtube workouts mostly the walking from home.

There is a group I am in on Facebook and there is a lot of mom's on there that breast feed. It's a diet plan called If It fits your macros.

https://facebook.com/groups/iifymwomenexclusive2/?ref=bookmarks

This group is awesome and the eating style is very flexable. Ask to join. No one is pushy in any way. They help out a lot. Nothing to buy. They can help you better than I could.
  • SavannahJJ93
    Options
    Thanks for the great reply Louann!
  • s3rend1p1ty
    s3rend1p1ty Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I, too, have a lot of weight to lose. The support on MFP has helped me stay accountable by always logging even if I am... not on track that day. Feel free to add me.
  • SavannahJJ93
    Options
    I, too, have a lot of weight to lose. The support on MFP has helped me stay accountable by always logging even if I am... not on track that day. Feel free to add me.

The people here are awesome! Whether they have 10 lbs or 100lbs to lose, they are so supportive!
  • fuzzydogpa
    fuzzydogpa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If all of you who are busting on my post read it and pay attention you will see that I was addressing people who have insulin resistance and who get severe insulin spikes when they eat carbs and that causes them to store almost every carb they eat as body fat. I said most people and I was not talking about people who do not have metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance. I was trying to offer some help but forget it. I did not say that carbs are evil for all people but the ones who have insulin resistance have a very hard time processing them because the insulin cannot drive the glucose from them into the muscles and thus drives it into the fat cells instead. If you don't have insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome then the post was not meant to apply to someone with a normal glucose processing metabolism.