Always hungry 2 hours after eating

Options
fmcanfield1
fmcanfield1 Posts: 10 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hey guys! I've been on a strick diet and exercise routine for about a month now. Before I was on and off but mostly on. I've lost 23lbs. I was 173 and am now 150. I'm a 5'8'' 25 yo female. I'm wanting to lose and also start building at the same time. I workout 7 days a week. Everyday consists of 20 min of cardio and about an hour and a half of heavy lifting. I eat 3 eggs 2 pieces of turkey and dairy free cheese for breakfast, baked chicken, veg and brown rice for lunch and dinner and a banana with peanut butter for a after workout snack. Totalling anywhere about 1200-1500 calories a day. I'm becoming more and more hungry after meals. I want to still lose weight but start cutting at the same time. Please help

Replies

• purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Water with lemon curbs hunger, so does just drinking more water period. But aside from that, I think eating every 2-3 hours is good anyway. Your metabolism is moving :)
  • LUHAN27
    LUHAN27 Posts: 211 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Your meal plans sound healthy. Do you alternate meals throughout the week/ or only meal prep for the week. I notice sometimes when I eat fruits, it makes me hungrier. I recommend after working out, having a protein drink: a scoop of protein powder, banana, and almond milk/milk. This is filling for me, and holds me off til the next meal. Also recommended, snacking throughout the day/midday. Snacks can be fruits, raisins, etc.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    What is your loss goal per week? You've lost enough weight that it may be time to lower that goal and that will give you a few more calories to eat. You might also look at spreading your calories out a bit more throughout the day. There's nothing wrong with eating every two hours or so if that suits you better than 3 larger meals and a snack. You're eating a very large breakfast and could easily eat 2/3 of those calories first and then the other third a few hours later. I'd also suggest substituting some of the higher calorie things you're eating (banana with peanut butter) for something a little lower in calories and higher in protein.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    1200 is pretty low unless you're completely sedentary... aim for 1500 and see if you're still as hungry?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You workout 7 days a week on 1,200 to 1,500 cal? It's no wonder you're hungry.....exercise takes fuel. On long run days I'll eat 1,200 cal for breakfast......

Based on your height, weight and activity level you should be eating over 2,000 cal per day......

https://supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Eat more food! I'm 5'9", 180 pounds, and I'm losing on 1960 calories per day. I'd be starving on 1200-1500!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    How's your fat?
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn? 1200-1500 sounds low for 5'8" if that's gross (opposed to net) calories.
  • fmcanfield1
    Options
    Thank you guys so so so much for your insight. To answer a few questions....I have no idea what my fat percentage is. I'm trying to lose 2lbs per week. 2000 calories seems extra high lol but I will try it and see. I do not snack between meals, but I will start doing that and increase my calorie intake. I'm going to start using protein after workouts now because my body is starting to get desperate for amino acids. Seriously can't thank you guys enough for taking to time to help me out.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • fmcanfield1
    Options
    Here is what I did yesterday to understand my workouts 205fc1fl3n4g.png
    u1y6p02ygavf.png
    nxaa9u7ysu1m.png
  • fmcanfield1
    Options
    Sorry they are all mixed up lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Maybe switch some of your brown rice for potatoes or beans, which are more filling.

Ok I'm curious about what kind of lifting you're doing every day for 1.5 hour without working the same muscle groups every day though. But yeah, if you're losing too fast (you didn't lose 23 pounds in one month... right?), you need to eat more.
  • fmcanfield1
    Options
    Lol no I lost it over quite a few months. I just posted yesterday's workout
  • fmcanfield1
    Options
    Oh and I'm pretty sedentary most of the day. Except when I work out
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I've been on a strick diet and exercise routine for about a month now. Before I was on and off but mostly on. I've lost 23lbs. I was 173 and am now 150. I'm a 5'8'' 25 yo female. I'm wanting to lose and also start building at the same time. I workout 7 days a week. Everyday consists of 20 min of cardio and about an hour and a half of heavy lifting. I eat 3 eggs 2 pieces of turkey and dairy free cheese for breakfast, baked chicken, veg and brown rice for lunch and dinner and a banana with peanut butter for a after workout snack. Totalling anywhere about 1200-1500 calories a day. I'm becoming more and more hungry after meals. I want to still lose weight but start cutting at the same time. Please help

Do you mean building muscle? If so, building muscle is hard to do at a deficit.

If the goal is to lose more fat, then keep at a deficit (maybe not a lose 2 lbs/week deficit if you have less than 30lbs to lose), and continue lifting.

Are you a beginner to lifting? Then maybe look into a beginner's compound lifting program rather than isolation exercises. That way, it's more bang for your buck and you would spend a lot less time in the gym.

Stronglifts 5x5 is my preferred program, but there's also Starting Strength, Ice Cream Fitness, Strong Curves, or All-Star Pro.

If you use a progressive weight lifting program, along with a reasonable deficit, you will lose the fat and the shape underneath will have the chance to show. Plus side, you get stronger and that kicks *kitten*!

As others stated, it is important to eat enough to fuel your body. You're also taller, so you definitely need more than 1200 calories.

• fmcanfield1
    Options

If the goal is to lose more fat, then keep at a deficit (maybe not a lose 2 lbs/week deficit if you have less than 30lbs to lose), and continue lifting.

Are you a beginner to lifting? Then maybe look into a beginner's compound lifting program rather than isolation exercises. That way, it's more bang for your buck and you would spend a lot less time in the gym.

Stronglifts 5x5 is my preferred program, but there's also Starting Strength, Ice Cream Fitness, Strong Curves, or All-Star Pro.

If you use a progressive weight lifting program, along with a reasonable deficit, you will lose the fat and the shape underneath will have the chance to show. Plus side, you get stronger and that kicks *kitten*!

As others stated, it is important to eat enough to fuel your body. You're also taller, so you definitely need more than 1200 calories.

If you read previous posts, you will see what I eat, and workout on a typical day. Please let me know what you think.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

If you read previous posts, you will see what I eat, and workout on a typical day. Please let me know what you think.

I read through the previous posts, and I definitely agree with the others that you are eating too little for all the activity you do. I feel like your body is burning through it, and that is why you are getting hungry two hours later.

Let's put this into perspective. I am 5'3", so shorter than you. We are about the same weight. If I can eat 1600 calories a day and still lose fat, then you should definitely be able to do it with more calories.

You don't need to do almost two hours of exercise seven days a week. It's about working smarter, not longer. That's why I suggested the programs above.

Lifting is great. But isolation exercises like the ones you have posted are not going to be as effective as compound movements which use multiple muscle groups, therefore there's no need to isolate just your pecs or your triceps.
  • fmcanfield1
    Options
    Ok great. Thank you so much for the advice. I appreciate it.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would add some fiber - cereal, bread - to the high-protein breakfast.