Coleslaw 5 days past its date

Options
Ive just discovered that the coleslaw I ate earlier was last week's and not the one i just bought.this morning. Advice on the internet is wildly differing on whether I will die from this idiocy, or just suffer horribly for days.
Does anyone here have experience of eating oldslaw?

Replies

• chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    If it didn't smell/taste off, you should be fine.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    If you were able to eat it and you didn't know until after the fact that it was older, didn't smell, didn't taste bad etc., that's pretty much a guarantee that you're not going to die or suffer horribly from it. Those dates on packages don't all mean the same thing and vary greatly. The food doesn't just turn poisonous when the clock strikes midnight on the date on the back. I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Sell by date or use by date? Most dairy products have sell by dates, if there was sour cream in the dressing, it was probably a sell by date. So, a week after the sell by date is fine and dandy, generally speaking.
  • JennifrClaire
    JennifrClaire Posts: 141 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Thank god. I have work in the morning. Cannot afford to be up all night kneeling at the porcelain throne.
    I appreciate your feedback on this.
  • Magic_Chicken
    Magic_Chicken Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my coleslaw out of date as I cant eat it all before the date. As long as it smells, looks and tastes ok your fine. Usually can tell straight away that its off as it tastes kind of tangy/fizzy. Also the mayo sometimes starts to separate.

Use by dates are such a supermarket scam to get you to throw perfectly good food away and buy more. I never stick to them, just use judgement on whether food is still good to eat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank god. I have work in the morning. Cannot afford to be up all night kneeling at the porcelain throne.

well you'll soon find out.....
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    I usually eat my coleslaw out of date as I cant eat it all before the date. As long as it smells, looks and tastes ok your fine. Usually can tell straight away that its off as it tastes kind of tangy/fizzy. Also the mayo sometimes starts to separate.

Use by dates are such a supermarket scam to get you to throw perfectly good food away and buy more. I never stick to them, just use judgement on whether food is still good to eat.

Wow, that is really cynical. :lol:

There are a lot of food-born illnesses caused by food past its good-by date. It isn't a scam, and it's dangerous for immune compromised people, the elderly or children. I do agree that with dairy and meat you can generally tell if they are too old by sight or smell, but why chance it if there is a choice?

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    How did it go?

This may help later, it tells you how long after the sell by date for most food items.

http://www.eatbydate.com/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The vinegar is pretty good at keeping the pathogens at bay. It's like a pickled salad.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Generally, I like the advice of "if in doubt, throw it out!"

Having said that, I usually consume dairy products well after the sell by dates.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I was served bad mayo, 6-8 hours later I knew it. Spent 3 days in the gastrointestinal unit. Lots of fun.

Ever in KCMO, avoid The Phoenix.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I only pay attn to the sell by dates when I'm in the store. After the item is in my frig or pantry, it stays there and I'll eat it regardless of the date on the package as long as it looks, smells and tastes good enough to eat. Doing this has never made me sick.

This includes milk, cheese, sour cream and yogurt. When milk is bad, it's pretty obvious by the smell. An additional test is trying to boil it; spoiled milk will separate when heated as it does when poured into coffee.

For the latter 3, if there's any surface mold on them, I just remove the mold and hit the top of the remainder with scalding hot water for a couple of secs to kill off any additional surface bugs. The remaining product is usually fine to eat in terms of taste & texture. If not, then I'll throw it out.

Waste not, want not. ;)
  • AnabolicMind2011
    AnabolicMind2011 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Yep she should know very soon
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options

Yep she should know very soon

She will be fine for 31 minutes. She will be dead in 32 minutes.
  • arjeffries136
    arjeffries136 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Instead of coleslaw, now it's sauerkraut. ;)
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    To echo most people on this thread, don't worry. I don't even look at dates I just use my senses to judge if something is off. If it is green or taste sour that's the best sign lol. I have made it through 25 years without a food related illness. Do not be oppressed by the supermarket, enjoy your coleslaw ;-)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    She ate the coleslaw 6 or 7 days ago ... and hasn't been back into this thread to update us ...