Losing weight will on steroids

Options
loucr1980
loucr1980 Posts: 14 Member
Hi

I am a 36 year old mum of 2 (aged 7 & 13 wks). I have always been a bit overweight but I am just getting heavier & heavier & I need to change now before I get out of control. I had a baby 13 wks ago & was on steroids for most of the pregnancy due to an autoimmune condition & I am still on them now, they have def increased my appetite & I was already greedy! Has anyone been sucessful in losing weight while on steroids?

So the plan is for me to track everything (I am a secret snacker) be honest with myself & try and make the right choices. I started back at the gym last week & am doing a mixture of post natal excercise, spin & body pump.

Any tips or advice anyone can give would be much appreciated & hopefully I'll be able to do the same at some point!

Lou x

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,779 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think you're on the right track - you already know you're a secret snacker and that the steriods make you more hungry. Just remember that you're the one in control. Steroids don't make you eat more, they just make you think you want to eat more. ;) Track honestly. Weigh your solids and measure your liquids. Don't forget to include condiments and oils, like olive oil, ketchup, butter, salad dressing, etc.

I was recently on a short course of steroids and didn't gain anything. I wasn't trying to lose weight but was trying to maintain and did that successfully. The scale did bounce up and down a bit with water weight but it still stayed within my maintenance range.

If you're breastfeeding, do talk to your doctor about your calorie needs and weight loss goals before you start. You don't want to cut too many calories or change your macros and then not make good milk for baby. Good luck!
  • BeastofBodmin
    BeastofBodmin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Which steroid ?
  • loucr1980
    Options
    Thanks for your reply sugaraddict. You are spot on, I need to come up with some distractions when I feel the need to eat. I have had to walk away from the biscuit tin a good few times today. I need to take ownership of the way I am & change it if I don't like it!

So far I have done ok today & managed to make spin class!

I am not breastfedding so that's not an issue. Thanks again replying.
  • loucr1980
    Options

Which steroid ?

I am on prednisone.
  • BeastofBodmin
    BeastofBodmin Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    loucr1980 wrote: »

I am on prednisone.

I note that one of the side effects is rapid weight gain.Maybe your doc could put you on a different one ?
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You can still do the things that will result in weight loss (eat at a moderate deficit) while you're on the pred; however, you might just need to adjust your expectations to see slower weight loss while you're on it. I know that sucks. The good news is that pred causes weight gain by increasing your appetite and causing fluid retention, both of which are manageable. It doesn't cause you to gain or store fat in any unusual way, so you can work around that one challenging side effect. Be patient, and try to find ways to stay within your calorie goal without letting your hunger get out of control. You might want to look into volume eating (basically eating high-volume, low-calorie foods in order to get the physical sensation of being full).

If the pred is helping you manage your autoimmune disorder, that's valuable. Obviously it depends on what disorder you're dealing with, but a flare can be just as difficult to deal with as the side effects of the medication. Dealing with a flare because you tried another medication that might not work as well could derail your weight-loss efforts just as much as the side effects of the pred.
  • kateflew
    kateflew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is me!!! Great to know others are the same (but not great we have autoimmune conditions)
    I was put on prednisone during my pregnancy for an autoimmune condition and had to continue them while we find another medication that works. I relapse when I try to come down at the moment so I'm in limbo until new med kicks in.
    I lost most of my baby weight in the first few weeks but have slowly been putting on weight again and now at 8 month pp I'm trying to do something about it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • loucr1980
    Options

I am on prednisone.

I note that one of the side effects is rapid weight gain.Maybe your doc could put you on a different one ?

They are trying to wean me off them & replace them with an immunosupressants but it's a slow process!
  • loucr1980
    Options
    Alicedark thanks for replying, good point I won't be so hard on my self if I don't see massive losses. Its just frustrating I find losing weight hard enough without this thrown into the mix!

Yep managing my condition is priority, the dose of steroids is being reduced at the mo but it's a slow process. I am wondering if the weight will fall off when they are finally out my system! Wishful thinking!!

• loucr1980
    Options
    kateflew wrote: »
    This is me!!! Great to know others are the same (but not great we have autoimmune conditions)
    I was put on prednisone during my pregnancy for an autoimmune condition and had to continue them while we find another medication that works. I relapse when I try to come down at the moment so I'm in limbo until new med kicks in.
    I lost most of my baby weight in the first few weeks but have slowly been putting on weight again and now at 8 month pp I'm trying to do something about it.
    Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:

Ah sorry to hear you are going through similar. I hope the new meds work for you. My doctor is looking at immunosuppressants for me. Although the side effects for them aren't pleasant either.

I have accepted your request ☺️

• kateflew
    kateflew Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've just started immune suppressants myself and am starting the long journey or weaning of steroids .5mg at a time.
    I get frustrated when scales don't move out they move in the wrong direction but I have to keep reminding myself it's better not to gain and I know the weight and moonface will start to go as I wean.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Alicedark thanks for replying, good point I won't be so hard on my self if I don't see massive losses. Its just frustrating I find losing weight hard enough without this thrown into the mix!

Yep managing my condition is priority, the dose of steroids is being reduced at the mo but it's a slow process. I am wondering if the weight will fall off when they are finally out my system! Wishful thinking!!

Think about it this way...all the work you're doing is still making a difference, even if it's being masked by water retention right now. At the very least, you're learning and practicing the habits that will make it easier to lose weight in the future, but I'd bet you'll see a "whoosh" when you're off the steroids. It's not that you're wasting your hard work; you're just saving it in the bank for later.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    What condition? I have sarcoidosis.
  • loucr1980
    Options
    kateflew wrote: »
    I've just started immune suppressants myself and am starting the long journey or weaning of steroids .5mg at a time.
    I get frustrated when scales don't move out they move in the wrong direction but I have to keep reminding myself it's better not to gain and I know the weight and moonface will start to go as I wean.

Ah yes moonface!!! Husband thought I was joking when I told him about that! Your situation is very similar to mine. How are you finding your new meds?

• loucr1980
    Options

[/quote]

Think about it this way...all the work you're doing is still making a difference, even if it's being masked by water retention right now. At the very least, you're learning and practicing the habits that will make it easier to lose weight in the future, but I'd bet you'll see a "whoosh" when you're off the steroids. It's not that you're wasting your hard work; you're just saving it in the bank for later. [/quote]

That's true & learning good habits will benefit me loads. I was more of a 'May aswell eat what I want as I am gaining anyway' until I stared creeping up to 12st (I am only 5ft) I look forward to the whoosh!! X
  • loucr1980
    Options
    What condition? I have sarcoidosis.

I have ITP it mean I have low platelets so my blood doesn't clot.