Health anxiety

Options
I desperately need to lose 35 pounds to be at a healthy weight and to fit in to my clothes again. I received a diagnosis last February and have had more symptoms (I have eye issues that might be benign but still scares me), and I've totally let myself go. This might sound silly, but I battle taking care of myself when I could easily give up since all my body systems aren't working properly. I'm only 43 years old and I still want to live a full life!

Replies

• amycuz14
    amycuz14 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I had a really serious health scare and surgery 2 years ago. The anxiety and the feeling like... my body betrayed me (doesn't that sound crazy?) and I backslid a ton. Now I'm fighting to get back because I realize that it's NOT in my control. So I'm going to control as much as I can and overcome what I let get me down. I can't impact what happened (it was totally unpredictable) but I can try to keep everything else running the best I can... If that makes sense? You are still really young, embrace life :)
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Wannabmarathoner Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for understanding and replying, amycuz14. You're absolutely right, I can't control the diagnosis I was giving, but I can still control what I choose to eat and to take better care of myself again. It is so frustrating though because I'm in the 'wait and see' point with the diagnosis. I'm used to things being great and then the rug pulled out from under me. My fear is, I will lose the weight, meet the man of my dreams, and then this diagnosis will turn bad to worse.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease called sarcoidosis in my lungs in January. I know the anxiety. I haven't slept a full night since. It's a *kitten* lonely feeling. Add me if you want.
  • LAMCDylan
    LAMCDylan Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Don't fear/worry about things because they are not a reality yet. Worry about it IF it happens only. Do your best, that is all you can do. Your best is good enough. Put yourself first.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disease called sarcoidosis in my lungs in January. I know the anxiety. I haven't slept a full night since. It's a *kitten* lonely feeling. Add me if you want.

I will add you! I don't know much about sarcoidosis, but I'm curious (I'm an RN). It's so frustrating that we can't be in perfect health! It is true what they say though...things can always be worse! We still have our hands to be able to type these words.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    LAMCDylan wrote: »
    Don't fear/worry about things because they are not a reality yet. Worry about it IF it happens only. Do your best, that is all you can do. Your best is good enough. Put yourself first.

Thank you. I needed that but I am a worrier. I've recently discovered an app called Headspace which is teaching me to be more mindful and to live in the moment.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i have behcets with myalgia. medication leads me prone to infections. i've had stomach ulcers. i could get lesions anywhere including eyes and brain. and if that doesn't suck, it can lead to cancer too. there are lots of ifs with my diagnosis

i spent time grieving the loss of what i thought was my health. i was 32. now I'm 34. have a great care team. have support. still working on finding balance because it is a balancing act. but i find when i treat myself healthier with food and exercise, overall, i feel better and have less flares and infections
  • Teamdhb120
    Teamdhb120 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm on methotrexate and prednisone for sarcoidosis (it's in my left eye). The mediation side-effects can be worst than the disease! I've given in to the prednisone hunger more than a few times. Thankfully I'm on a lower does now (15mg). Feel free to add me.
  • jmolivia
    jmolivia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Teamdhb120 wrote: »
    I'm on methotrexate and prednisone for sarcoidosis (it's in my left eye). The mediation side-effects can be worst than the disease! I've given in to the prednisone hunger more than a few times. Thankfully I'm on a lower does now (15mg). Feel free to add me.

On MFP looking for help combating prednisone food-rage. It's just temporary, for asthma, and
    I'm on my last day, @60mg. Just trying to stay on track. Funny thing is I'm not even hungry. Just feel like stuffing myself til the point of pain. Last time I was on pred, in March, I gained 10 pounds in 3 days. Thanks for listening.
  • jmolivia
    jmolivia Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for understanding and replying, amycuz14. You're absolutely right, I can't control the diagnosis I was giving, but I can still control what I choose to eat and to take better care of myself again. It is so frustrating though because I'm in the 'wait and see' point with the diagnosis. I'm used to things being great and then the rug pulled out from under me. My fear is, I will lose the weight, meet the man of my dreams, and then this diagnosis will turn bad to worse.

My dear, the man for you will find you at your weight, heavier or lighter. Focus on you--the rest will come as it may.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Please don't be like me and not go to the doctor over fear. I ended up almost dying because I ignored symptoms (8 months diarrhea every day 6 months of bleeding). I was hoping it was my IBS and hemorrhoids so I didn't do anything until I was very very ill and ended up hospitalized for 34 days and started the last chance drug at diagnosis. Turns out it was severe fistulizing Crohn's disease and I was days from perforating when diagnosed. I am on azathioprine and Remicade. I probably wouldn't have painful and aggravating fistulas, have to be on dangerous drugs, etc if I had gone to the doctor much earlier and not let the disease get as severe as it was.
  • Wannabmarathoner
    Options
    I just saw these last responses. Thanks so much everyone for sharing your stories and being encouraging. We've got this! Hugs!