How many calories to LICK a popcorn bag?

Replies

• Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 486 Member
    This is so funny because I always lick my popcorn bag!!! I get the pop secret 100 calorie 94%fat free kettle corn and seriously, licking the bag is the best part! It always has the extra sugary/salty stuff caked on the sides. YUM!

I agree licking the bag is the best part.... I alway get the light butter flavor but I only have it once in a while so I can savor it and not feel guilty for licking the bag, Even though I only have it once in a while, I know it will be awhile before I will get to make another bag just to lick the bag again....
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    My friend's dad works as a chemist/nutrition consultant at a lab that creates nutrition labels for companies. He's responsible for testing foods. I asked him how exactly they test because I liked to lick yogurt cups when I finish. He told me that there are accepted guidelines for what they test and the substance still stuck to the popcorn bag is not tested. They perform the test thousands of times to come up with an average calorie, carb, fiber, etc count for each product because no 2 products are exactly the same. Today your 100 calorie bag of popcorn could be 120 calories and tomorrow it could be 90 calories.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    What a coincidence. My nickname is "Popcorn Bag"! Who woulda thunk it.... :-)
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Licking the outside: 0 calories
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    My friend's dad works as a chemist/nutrition consultant at a lab that creates nutrition labels for companies. He's responsible for testing foods. I asked him how exactly they test because I liked to lick yogurt cups when I finish. He told me that there are accepted guidelines for what they test and the substance still stuck to the popcorn bag is not tested. They perform the test thousands of times to come up with an average calorie, carb, fiber, etc count for each product because no 2 products are exactly the same. Today your 100 calorie bag of popcorn could be 120 calories and tomorrow it could be 90 calories.

YOU ARE AWESOME!!!

The news is not XD Do you have any idea how many calories are in the bag? If I lick off around 75% of the substance...

Thank you =D I can't believe we have an expert on nutritional contents.
  • i_love_vinegar

Hmmm...has anyone ever told you how many calories you are? haha :laugh:
  • SkimosGirl
    SkimosGirl Posts: 13

^^Hahahahahaah

LoL wow I'm so surprised to know other people do this! I thought my ex was the only one. Too funny!!
  • SkimosGirl

This sounds made up LoL (not saying I don't believe you)
  • i_love_vinegar

why does it sound madeup?
    Do we have another insider here? Please reveal the mystery of the popcorn bag. :glasses:
  • jfinnivan
    If you want to be really picky about it, find a very accurate scale. Brush off all of the salt you can. Weight the bag before you lick it, let it dry, then weight it again. The difference in weight should be an approximation of the weight of the oil/butter/fat that you ate.
    I would guess it's less than ten calories. Not worth the bother.
  • jfinnivan

Hmmm...has anyone ever told you how many calories you are? haha :laugh:

It depends on my mood. Sometimes I'm a high calorie guy. Sometimes not.
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    If you want to be really picky about it, find a very accurate scale. Brush off all of the salt you can. Weight the bag before you lick it, let it dry, then weight it again. The difference in weight should be an approximation of the weight of the oil/butter/fat that you ate.
    I would guess it's less than ten calories. Not worth the bother.

OMGosh! we are insane.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472

I loled
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    If you really want to be accurate. Sacrifice a bag to the gods of measurement and cut the sucker open before it's cooked, the fat/oils/salt/popcorn will all be in a pile in the center most likely. Easy enough.
    Way the bag whole.
    Scrape out the contents inside, weigh the contents inside.
    Weigh the empty bag.

Weigh a second bag of popcorn (whole).
    Compare the value to the first set of numbers. Every bag is the same. (Or should be more similar than the contents) Subtract the weight of the second bag and the empty bag to see how much 'stuff' is inside.
    Pop the second bag of Popcorn. NO LICKING YET!!
    Weigh the bag after you've dumped out the popcorn.
    The bag - the empty first bag = what's left of the salt/oil residue on the inside. You should be able to figure out the calories from this.

A) Too much damn work.
    B) I say it's probably less than a tablespoon, if butter 50 calories, if heavier oil like olive oil 150-180. A teaspoon of salt is 2300 mg of sodium roughly. And what's left on the bag shouldn't be more than that.

Besides. It's tasty. :D
  • i_love_vinegar
    If you really want to be accurate. Sacrifice a bag to the gods of measurement and cut the sucker open before it's cooked, the fat/oils/salt/popcorn will all be in a pile in the center most likely. Easy enough.
    Way the bag whole.
    Scrape out the contents inside, weigh the contents inside.
    Weigh the empty bag.

Weigh a second bag of popcorn (whole).
    Compare the value to the first set of numbers. Every bag is the same. (Or should be more similar than the contents) Subtract the weight of the second bag and the empty bag to see how much 'stuff' is inside.
    Pop the second bag of Popcorn. NO LICKING YET!!
    Weigh the bag after you've dumped out the popcorn.
    The bag - the empty first bag = what's left of the salt/oil residue on the inside. You should be able to figure out the calories from this.

A) Too much damn work.
    B) I say it's probably less than a tablespoon, if butter 50 calories, if heavier oil like olive oil 150-180. A teaspoon of salt is 2300 mg of sodium roughly. And what's left on the bag shouldn't be more than that.

Besides. It's tasty. :D

I'm not working this summer, so...I'll report back after my findings :indifferent: Thank you for the secret to the popcorn bag mystery!!!
  • SkimosGirl

why does it sound madeup?
    Do we have another insider here? Please reveal the mystery of the popcorn bag. :glasses:

No no just the start of it.. "my friend's dad convieniently works for Orville Redenbacher where he licks bags all day long" I read it as more of a joke is all. I have too many sarcastic friends I think LoL
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    LOLOLOLOL OMG I totally used to do this when I ate microwave popcorn! Best part of it! Now, I have a whirly pop and make my own instead, lol.

If you look at the nutritional information on the box, you'll notice that the fat content is higher in the unpopped popcorn numbers than it is next to the asterisk, which tells you how much is in it popped. So obviously, whatever is left on the inside of the bag is not part of that calculation- but it seems to be in the original calculation. So I would say that your best bet is to record the popcorn as if you ate it unpopped, because it will include the extra butter/oil/sodium/etc. that they assume you don't eat from the inside of the bag.

I think it IS important to do record it accurately though- you could be going over your calories/fat for the day and be struggling to lose weight and not know why. However you decide, if you'd rather cut up an unpopped bag and figure it out or just do what I suggested (which I think is easier), logging the accurate amount is important!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    When the manufacturer assembles the ingredients to put in the bag of popcorn they have no way to know what adheres to the popcorn and what adheres to the bag during the popping stage. Therefore I say that everything inside of the bag, as well as the stuff you lick off, has already been included in the calorie count.

This is my vote too.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    It never occured to me to lick a popcorn bag.
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Well I see where one would think this but if the contents of the bag are a certain number of calories...just because the stuff that's stuck to the inside of the bad, didn't stick to the popcorn, you can add that as extra. It's all part of the bag.
    The calorie content listed on the bag does not include licking the bag. If you lick the bag it's mostly fat and sodium, not sure exactly how much though.
This discussion has been closed.