Is it okay to go over sugar intake with just fruits?

Options
kelhea
kelhea Posts: 52 Member
To help me eat healthier I end up eating a lot of fruit, i still have veggies in my day but mostly fruit and because of this I'm always over my sugar intake for the day. I usually eat up to 5-7 servings of fruit a day. Is it okay if my sugar intake is over if it's caused by fruit and not other sugars? Or is all this sugar the same and not helping with loosing weight? Thanks!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake or it's causing you to eat more than you burn, you're fine
  • Budjola
    Budjola Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    yes, fruit is healthy so dont worry about sugar
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Fruit is a great thing to eat - naturally sweet, with a variety of vitamins, minerals and fibre depending on what you eat. And in general, if you are fitting that much fruit into your calorie allowance and are feeling good, it's probably not a big issue.

Having said that, I think it's possible to eat too much of a good thing. Aussie healthy eating guidelines suggest two fruit and five veg a day. Clearly that's not a prescription and isn't going to be right for everyone, but I think it's a useful guide, so if it was me, I'd look to substitute a veggie snack for a couple of those fruit servings you are eating.
  • Zealand4530
    Zealand4530 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    kelhea wrote: »
    To help me eat healthier I end up eating a lot of fruit, i still have veggies in my day but mostly fruit and because of this I'm always over my sugar intake for the day. I usually eat up to 5-7 servings of fruit a day. Is it okay if my sugar intake is over if it's caused by fruit and not other sugars? Or is all this sugar the same and not helping with loosing weight? Thanks!

It's fine
  • eyewire
    eyewire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As long as it isn't fruit juice. The sugar in fruit is fine as long as you are also getting the fiber by eating the whole fruit.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I've only very recently started seriously looking into my sugar intake and am now trying to stick to the recommended daily allowance of 25 gr per day. Wow, not easy! I have now swapped my banana for avocado in my daily green smoothie which cuts out about 12 gr (!). I refuse to give up on fruit altogether however, as obviously fruit comes with plenty of good stuff as well.

I can recommend That Sugar Film, for inspiration, I watched it on YouTube.
  • sflisher
    sflisher Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with melykins2014. Lots of fruit equals lots of sugar period. Treat fruit as desert and keep it to a minimum.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    The 25 g limit comes from 5% for added sugar. It has nothing to do with calories from fruit (or MFP, of course).

(The WHO recommends 10%, 5% if possible, from added sugar because of the calories foods with added sugar tend to add to the average diet without also adding many nutrients. The calories at issue are partly from sugar, but just as much from fat in many of these foods. The WHO does not claim that sugar itself is an issue or that intrinsic sugars from fruit needs to be cut. Most people eat less fruit than is advised, although 5-7 servings seems like a lot to me. My issue with fruit would be calories and whether you are getting enough protein/healthy fats/fiber overall.)
  • chapiano
    chapiano Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You should try and stay with in your sugar goals including any fruit you eat. Sugars all the same what ever the source
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugar intake or it's causing you to eat more than you burn, you're fine

This. I never track sugar personally. I know I'm over nearly everyday on it, eating both fruit and added sugar. Hasn't caused me issues so far.

The good advice I usually see here in MFP is not to track sugar, but concentrate on tracking fiber instead.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    This is a great article about sugar and sugars in food and what you should be concenerd about.
    Why Sugar is The Worst Thing Ever For You. Seriously. Ever.

Basically it says about sugar and fruit.
    Fruit can contain a lot of fructose however when you consume fruit, you are not only consuming fructose (in its natural state), but also consuming fiber and lots of vitamins and minerals. Yes, fruit can have an effect on your blood sugar, it IS sugar. But generally fruit will cause less of a blood sugar spike compared to nutrient-void table sugar or high fructose corn syrup.

Along with that: Fiber is an important part of a balanced diet (ask your bowels), and fruit can contain a lot of it!

Most Americans don't get enough fiber and that may even be more important then protein (since most people get enough protein and than some).

If you're worried about fruit, then Consume fruit that has a low glycemic index/glycemic load to reduce blood sugar spikes and insulin secretion. Consume organic fruit when possible.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat it up. It does not matter.
  • BigJes37
    BigJes37 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I personally don't eat fruit and get what I need through lots of vegetables. A sugar spike for me causes a crash which I can't have when I work alot and try to stay away from caffeine. I don't get to much into what articles and research says 100%. Like myself in all the years I use my own body as the true test. Trial and error. I would suggest to try what you feel and see how your body reacts over time. Everyone reacts differently. Good luck ;)
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    eyewire wrote: »
    As long as it isn't fruit juice. The sugar in fruit is fine as long as you are also getting the fiber by eating the whole fruit.

What??? Please dont listen to this.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes, or no, depending on your goals. If you want to cut back on carbs, or sugar, specifically, for health reasons then the sugar in fruit counts like any other sugar would count. If you just want to cut calories, you stay within your calories, and you aren't eating extra fruit instead of adequate amounts of protein and fat, then it doesn't matter. Technically, you ought to be eating some vegetables too.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

Why would you not listen to this? Please don't just say don't listen to something. This is good advice. Why would you think it's not. The fiber helps the digestion of the sugar and stops spikes.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I typically do not keep an eye on my sugar intake, because very little of my daily intake is refined sugar. And that isn't for weight loss (because, CI/CO is what works), but just for my own personal overall health. Processed sugar isn't inherently evil, but I find the less I consume, the more energy I have. The macros I really keep close tabs on are sodium, fat, and protein. As long as you are feeling good and you're seeing results there is no need to restrict.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »

Why would you not listen to this? Please don't just say don't listen to something. This is good advice. Why would you think it's not. The fiber helps the digestion of the sugar and stops spikes.

Because sugar is sugar. Yes fruit is better for you because it has a lot of nutritional value that most juice losses but its silly advice. And the comment made it sound like the sugar in juice is different then in fruit, and for weight loss calories are calories.