• s_hossein
    s_hossein Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    She was skinnier than I am right now!
    rei6740jba39.jpeg
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oh you definitely do not have to be that thin to bulk.. I think the recommendation for females is around 20% body fat or below (mind you you could get away with a bit higher also depends on your muscle base and how comfortable you are).

Well abs will show when your BF% is low enough. That being said if you don't have the muscle base you may not see them clearly no matter how small you get (for example in the case of a runway model.. very low bf% but no muscle definition because of lack of muscle base).

I would either..

Cut down a little where you are comfortable then bulk. (You said you have bulked in the past and seems like that didn't work for you).

Or recomp which is what I would recommend for you. It can be a bit slow but if you are eating at maintenance and your programming is right you should see results (some muscle gain and fat loss over time).

You can do ab work if you want (the ones in Strong Curves is sufficient) but the lifts that you do should engage your abs and core enough if you are doing them correctly.

• s_hossein
    Options
    @sardelsa I tried bulking but after reviewing my workout on here I was told I wouldnt see any results with it. Maybe thats why? If I bulk doing SC until Nov/Dec, do you think I'd see a difference?
  • sardelsa
    Options
    As long as you are progressing in your program and eating in surplus (and gaining) you should see results. Take initial measurements and track your progress as time goes on. It's generally recommended to bulk for at least 4 months so if you bulk until the end of the year that should be good...but if you can go longer even better.

You will gain fat.. but during the winter this is easy to hide under sweaters and coats (depending on where you live). What got me through my bulk was the gains.. how great my back and shoulders were looking, how my glutes and quads were growing.
  • s_hossein
    Options
    @sardelsa thank you so much for helping! :)
  • s_hossein
    Options
    @sardelsa oh I forgot, do you think 2000 cal is enough
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2016
    Options
    s_hossein wrote: »
    @sardelsa oh I forgot, do you think 2000 cal is enough

You need to try it for about a month and adjust. You can bulk with almost any program that provides progressive resistance (the M&S one included). And given your equipment limitations, you will need to either find a way to modify the workouts or find a program that fits the bill. Since you dont have a long lifting foundation almost all programs will give you an opportunity to gain muscle.
  • raquelbabes15
    raquelbabes15 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hip thrusts build a booty soooo good !!! Weighted of course ! Can be done with good form and controlled with s smith machine to start off
  • s_hossein
    Options
    Would small equipments like resistance bands etc be helpful?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    s_hossein wrote: »
    Would small equipments like resistance bands etc be helpful?

They won't be as effective as a barbell, but you could probably make them work if they are heavy enough.
  • s_hossein
    Options
    Would a 20kg barbell be good
  • s_hossein
    Options
    Does it differ from 20kg dumbbells
  • sardelsa
    Options
    Using a barbell vs dumbbell even with the same weight will feel different because of the weight distribution.

If you can't join a gym and want to workout from home, a barbell with plates would be a good investment, as well as a bench, exercise ball, pull-up bar, eventually a squat rack of some sort.
  • klove808
    klove808 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hiking and Latin dancing. Lots of fun and Can be good cardio too.