Killer resource for learning foam roller exercises

Options
liftzilla16
liftzilla16 Posts: 59 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys,

I just came across a great foam roller writeup that teaches you foam roller exercises for every part of the body. It breaks down proper technique and what areas should/should not be worked, as well as little tips to help target trigger points. Figured this would be pretty helpful to share since I know how much of a pain in the a** it was for me when I first learned to roll.

For those that want to check it out, here's the link: homegymr.com/foam-roller-exercises-and-stretches/

EDIT: Forget to mention, before any assumptions are made, no I'm not associated with this article or website whatsoever. Just thought it was a helpful resource to share. o:)

Replies

• H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I foam roll often, but there were some in here that were new to me!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'm bookmarking to check it out at home.
  • liftzilla16
    Options

Same here! Did you see where it says not to foam roll the lower back? What are your thoughts on that? I've been doing it for ages and don't seem to experience any issues, but maybe I should let up... lol
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I applaud this post. Thanks
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ashley borden is the first fitness guru whom I have talked to personally, and she is the one who got me foam rolling when I was having issues. I dont know her personally. but yeah,she also has videos out there. I had never heard of foam rolling before talking to her.
  • liftzilla16
    Options
    ashley borden is the first fitness guru whom I have talked to personally, and she is the one who got me foam rolling when I was having issues. I dont know her personally. but yeah,she also has videos out there. I had never heard of foam rolling before talking to her.

It works WONDERS for muscle soreness, now that I've done it I could never go back to living without it lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

It works WONDERS for muscle soreness, now that I've done it I could never go back to living without it lol

yeah I know I was having issues with my hip flexors being too tight. foam rolling helped tremendously
  • liftzilla16
    Options

yeah I know I was having issues with my hip flexors being too tight. foam rolling helped tremendously

That's so funny that you say that, hip flexors are exactly why I started rolling as well!! It's crazy how much they affect tightness in the waist/lower back area
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

That's so funny that you say that, hip flexors are exactly why I started rolling as well!! It's crazy how much they affect tightness in the waist/lower back area

yeah and the pain they can cause too. its weird something like that can cause severe issues.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    hip flexors are exactly why I started rolling as well!! It's crazy how much they affect tightness in the waist/lower back area

I find that frequent stretching works better for the hip flexors than foam rolling. That's partly because the iliopsoas (which flex the hip) is too deep to roll effectively. :+1:

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    hip flexors are exactly why I started rolling as well!! It's crazy how much they affect tightness in the waist/lower back area

I find that frequent stretching works better for the hip flexors than foam rolling. That's partly because the iliopsoas (which flex the hip) is too deep to roll effectively. :+1:

stretches didnt work for me,the foam rolling did help. maybe Im one of the odd people (well I know Im odd but lol).I even did yoga that was mainly stretching for tight muscles and that didnt help much either.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

Same here! Did you see where it says not to foam roll the lower back? What are your thoughts on that? I've been doing it for ages and don't seem to experience any issues, but maybe I should let up... lol

Rolling out the glutes (medicine ball) can help. But lower back pain may be caused from over extending too.

DeFranco's Limber 11 is very helpful.
  • liftzilla16
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

I have to completely agree with this. While I love my foam rolling and the hip flexor tightness is what made me start, I do find that stretching works best for that area (for me at least)
  • liftzilla16
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »

Rolling out the glutes (medicine ball) can help. But lower back pain may be caused from over extending too.

DeFranco's Limber 11 is very helpful.

I'll give that a try and keep that in mind, thanks!