Eat whatever you want AND Lose Weight!!

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    edited August 2016
    flimflam87 wrote: »
    When you're doing CICO, it kind of forces you to make better decisions. Like yeah... I could eat that bacon egg and cheese bagel for breakfast but then I have like 400 calories for the rest of the day!

Yes this is it exactly. I have a sweet tooth, In the evening I used to eat bars of Chocolate, maybe 150 cals plus and I'd maybe have 2 of them. Now I have a Rich Tea biscuit, around 35 cals each, quite a saving.

All in all it kind of reminds me of being on unemployment benefit, you only have a small amount of money and you try to make it stretch as far as you can.
  • skyblu263
    skyblu263 Posts: 91 Member
    @Trish1c HAHAHA!!!! I know right?! 5oz of wine is sooo wrong. It's helped that I now add seltzer water and ice to make spritzers though. A glass can go a long way :)
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Be_Lively wrote: »
    Very true. & I tell people that almost every day. They ask me how I lose this weight, and I tell them that I just count calories. That is all. I work at a restaurant, and for lunch yesterday, I had a grilled chicken breast with green beans and mashed potatoes. Someone tells me that our mashed potatoes are not healthy with all that butter in them. Well no duh! I told them that I'm all about the calories, and they just gave me a dumb look.

Please tell the 40 lb that I have lost that CICO doesn't work!

I totally agree with the post since January 1st 2016 I've lost 80 pounds during that time I've had Wendy's hamburgers McDonald's love their French fries Pizza beer on the beach spare ribs mashed potatoes I've eaten out. I could go on and on but everybody understands where I'm coming from.

It is a simple matter of eating less calories than your body Burns to lose the weight yes you can lose weight eating Snickers bars and drinking vodka but what it would do to your body would mess you up but it is simple calorie in calorie out

The sad part is when people ask me how I did it and I explained to the process to them they look at me confused. Due to social media commercials blah blah blah blah blah blah we've all been conditioned to think you got to do something really weird and different to lose weight. You really don't it's a simple matter of CICo
  • V120916
    V120916 Posts: 1 Member
    So how much body fat did you lose and how long have you kept it off?
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    edited November 2016

Yeah, that's why I had to give up wine.
    Once the bottle was open, it was gone.

No portion control possible with wine. But, ice cream, I have daily and do OK.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member

Eating what you want I THINK is KEY to keeping it off too. I think if you "TRY" vegan, vegetarian, LCHF, LCHP etc and it's not the way you normally eat it MAYBE harder for you to stay on it for the rest of your life. Note I do understand people like Vegans totally change up their diet and give up animal products for ethical reasons.

maintenance has been my problem mostly because I didn't understand TDEE until this go round of losing...
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Yes! I relogged into My Fitness Pal in April because I was desperate to do something fully expecting another failure. In the past I had always tried things like LCHF and all clean eating which led me straight to binge town after about a week and I'd give up again.

Anyways, the first thing I did was check out the forums and I read a comment that changed my life. Someone said "Why can't you have a chocolate bar if it fits in your calories? You can!"

Down nearly 70 pounds now. I will agree that you naturally start making healthier choices because something has to be worth the calories and keep you full!

I'd like to like this post more if I could!

At some point one has to drop ones defensiveness, preconceived ideas and listen to the really knowledgable folks even if they say it harshly. Because clearly what one was doing in the past wasn't successful. I've learned so much about diet, weight loss etc in the last 40 months than I have in my 50 years.

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2016
    Nice except it's not entirely true. Not everyone has a huge calorie allowance. Some people can have one of those 800+ calories in a double cheeseburger meal and be left trying to manage the rest of the day with not many calories to work with and end up hungry. So yeah. It's true, more true for people with larger allowances. But it just is not worth it to spend half of my daily allowance on a single meal.
  • Nice except it's not entirely true. Not everyone has a huge calorie allowance. Some people can have one of those 800+ calories in a double cheeseburger meal and be left trying to manage the rest of the day with not many calories to work with and end up hungry. So yeah. It's true, more true for people with larger allowances. But it just is not worth it to spend half of my daily allowance on a single meal.

But that's your preference. I'm on 1200 a day for like 17 more pounds and I have been known to save all of my calories for some olive garden at dinner.

It's my preference to not walk around starving half the day. Exactly. And for a great many people spending hours each day feeling seriously hungry leads up to hunger fueled binging. I think that is a ridiculous thing for you to say in regards to preference. The general sentiment is for people to eat in a way that prevents out of control binging because you won't have success if you continue that pattern. Not everyone wants to starve all day just for a single meal. So if starving all day just for one meal at night works for you then go for it. But the point here is that this is not going to help a lot of people in their efforts to lose weight.
  • johunt615 wrote: »
    Nice except it's not entirely true. Not everyone has a huge calorie allowance. Some people can have one of those 800+ calories in a double cheeseburger meal and be left trying to manage the rest of the day with not many calories to work with and end up hungry. So yeah. It's true, more true for people with larger allowances. But it just is not worth it to spend half of my daily allowance on a single meal.

But see thats the beauty of it. You CAN have it you just choose not to because you don't want to use 1/2 your allotment. If you are overly restrictive and tell yourself you CAN'T have it then it becomes bigger than just a calorie planning issue.

I NEVER said I COULDN'T. I am pointing out the flaw in this one size fits all idea. This exact idea has set a lot of people up for disaster. Thinking they should try to cram in some insanely high calorie meal and still be able to eat the rest of the day. For people who have the calories to spare I'm sure it works great. This is like telling poor people they "can" afford the new iPhone. Sure, you won't be able to pay the rent but who cares! Have it because you can! SMH.....
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited November 2016
    johunt615 wrote: »

But see thats the beauty of it. You CAN have it you just choose not to because you don't want to use 1/2 your allotment. If you are overly restrictive and tell yourself you CAN'T have it then it becomes bigger than just a calorie planning issue.

I NEVER said I COULDN'T. I am pointing out the flaw in this one size fits all idea. This exact idea has set a lot of people up for disaster. Thinking they should try to cram in some insanely high calorie meal and still be able to eat the rest of the day. For people who have the calories to spare I'm sure it works great. This is like telling poor people they "can" afford the new iPhone. Sure, you won't be able to pay the rent but who cares! Have it because you can! SMH.....
    Many people recommend viewing your calorie goal on a weekly basis. Personally, I do 5:2 and eat under 590 calories on Mondays and Wednesdays. This allows me to lose weight while eating at maintenance the rest of the week and makes fitting in an 800 calorie meal a lot easier.

It doesn't even need to be that much. You can save 100 calories throughout the week and have an extra 500 calories for whatever meal you'd want.