I have a suger addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I really like the Gillian Riley book "Eating Less" as an approach to managing your addictive desire for sugar.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    fitpal661 wrote: »
    Fruit has less calories. Think of healthier choices. I need to not even start snacking on sugar or I'll overdo. Also I need to ask if I'm really hungry or just thirsty. Eat real food.

Fruit is still sugar... So you replace sugar with sugar??

OP's examples were really hyperpalatable sugar/fat combo's, not just sugar. I used to think I had a sugar issue until I had to go on a low fat diet (gallbladder problems) and realized that it's not the sugar, it's the high reward combo of sugar and fat together.

I eat plenty of fruit, maple syrup on oats, PB2 with added sugar, and even plain old white sugar, and I have no trouble moderating them. I also know lots of low carbers who use butter, coconut oil, and other fats with no control issues whatsoever. It's when you put them together that they become a problem for some people.

Almost everyone who thinks they are addicted to carbs or sugar, (or who thinks dietary fat is making them fat) when giving examples of the foods they can't stop eating, lists carb-fat combinations. Pizza, buttered bread, cake, cookies, pasta with olive oil or rich sauces...

I've yet to hear of anyone "addicted" to apples or cantaloupe.

This is exactly right.

And sugar IS sugar, which is the problem with claiming sugar is the issue. When people realize it's that they have difficulty controlling the calories they are consuming from certain highly-palatable and high cal trigger foods (both sugar/fat and salt/starch/fat, often), THEN suggestions like "eat fruit instead" can make sense (as I think they often do). Fruit is different from a cupcake in lots of ways (ways making the fruit often a better choice). Sugar isn't one of those ways.

These two posts right here are on point. It isn't the sugar, it's the combos.

If you can't moderate it, get them out of your house :)

I'm the same with avocados. I can go through 4-5 a day so it's easier to not buy them except only when they are needed for a recipe and I only buy the needed amount.

Yet, I have bags of candy in the house that I have no issue avoiding if it doesn't fit.
  • florencetaylor89
    florencetaylor89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a definite sweet tooth and am currently weaning myself its going well I have swapped chocolate bars and sweets for lower sugar/fat/calorie Hot chocolate at the point in the evening where I would eat a whole bar of chocolate or bag of revels I Now have a 39-43 calorie mug of hot chocolate depending on brand and flavor. A tub of Ben and Jerry's is now a mini milk or a small portion of fro yo. And all them biscuits have been swapped for weight watchers ones that I now only eat on occasion with my green or fennal tea mid morning. Your talking 83 calories and less sugar than the 160 calories that are in two of the normal brand cookies I like. Oh and them small bags of slightly sweet popcorn are awesome and apples I have always loved apples and strawberries tend to have them in my breakfast or lunch.

Substitution then gradually cutting back seems to be working for me I'm craving chocolate and sweets less. And now eating smaller amounts of my substitutes.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Try slowly weaning off sugar products. That way it's not the "cold turkey" style and you can control how quickly you reduce the amount of sugar consumption. Even if it's just a gram or two of sugar reduction every few days, eventually that reduction adds up.

It's how I got rid of my sweet tooth. Nowadays most sweets are way too sweet and rich for me [I even have to dilute those sugar-free water flavor packets just to get the sweetness perfect for me, like putting a packet made for a 2 quart pitcher into a gallon of water].
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    Fruit has less calories. Think of healthier choices. I need to not even start snacking on sugar or I'll overdo. Also I need to ask if I'm really hungry or just thirsty. Eat real food.

OP's examples were really hyperpalatable sugar/fat combo's, not just sugar. I used to think I had a sugar issue until I had to go on a low fat diet (gallbladder problems) and realized that it's not the sugar, it's the high reward combo of sugar and fat together.

I eat plenty of fruit, maple syrup on oats, PB2 with added sugar, and even plain old white sugar, and I have no trouble moderating them. I also know lots of low carbers who use butter, coconut oil, and other fats with no control issues whatsoever. It's when you put them together that they become a problem for some people.

Almost everyone who thinks they are addicted to carbs or sugar, (or who thinks dietary fat is making them fat) when giving examples of the foods they can't stop eating, lists carb-fat combinations. Pizza, buttered bread, cake, cookies, pasta with olive oil or rich sauces...

Carb-fat combinations were certainly my issue. However, what about soda?
  • nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's all good and well saying 'don't have it in the house' but what if you live with other people who shouldn't suffer because you're on a diet...eg my kids and husband. Also if I'm craving enough I can pop to the shops down the road and pick up whatever sweet treat I want. Doesn't help that I also live within walking distance of a dessert bar :( I never had a sweet tooth before I started my diet so it must all be in my head! anyway I get around the issue by saving a few calories for a small treat at the end of the day. It could be a fun size chocolate bar (around 100cals), 2 squares of rich dark chocolate or like tonight I had a pot of low fat chocolate mousse (80cals). Some days I don't need it and don't eat it but it helps me not binge during the day knowing I'm not depriving myself of sweet treats. Maybe it's one of those 'you only want what you can't have' things so this works for me.
  • Hornsby
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Caffeine...
    kshama2001 wrote: »

• Charis50
    Charis50 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself, but when I stopped eating and drinking foods that contain artificial sweeteners and increased my protein intake, my sugar cravings went down surprisingly quickly.

I had gotten to the point that fresh, ripe pineapple tasted bland or even a bit bitter to me, so I was trying to "reboot" my tastebuds.

I don't have a whit of science to back me up, but it was an easy experiment and it seemed to help.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    nickisa28 wrote: »
    It's all good and well saying 'don't have it in the house' but what if you live with other people who shouldn't suffer because you're on a diet...eg my kids and husband. Also if I'm craving enough I can pop to the shops down the road and pick up whatever sweet treat I want. Doesn't help that I also live within walking distance of a dessert bar :( I never had a sweet tooth before I started my diet so it must all be in my head! anyway I get around the issue by saving a few calories for a small treat at the end of the day. It could be a fun size chocolate bar (around 100cals), 2 squares of rich dark chocolate or like tonight I had a pot of low fat chocolate mousse (80cals). Some days I don't need it and don't eat it but it helps me not binge during the day knowing I'm not depriving myself of sweet treats. Maybe it's one of those 'you only want what you can't have' things so this works for me.

I actually have nothing against sugar, for me though it simply leads to more cravings. As far as not having it in the house when others want it, that's a tough one. I'm lucky in that respect, my wife supports my efforts and is on her own journey to losing weight and being fit. My kids are raised, and grand kids and kids only show up on family nights/bbq's/whatever to eat. So it's easy to send any leftovers with them and keep it out of my house otherwise. There are some things though we do buy, like Doritos. We love making taco salads with Doritos, and Corn chips in our chili. What we do is buy a smaller bag, use it up as quickly as possible then try to be good the rest of the week. As far as treats, I eat no sugar added ice cream all the time, it's low cal (80-100 calories per half cup) and tastes great. It helps me not crave the other stuff too badly. So maybe buying less, or smaller quantities at a time. It was the bulk purchase of junk food that caused me to end up overweight in the first place.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    As opposed to.....fake food?
    Confusing...

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Yes, there are so many dieticians and nutritionists who will tell you that if you crave sugar, there is no problem eating cake, cookies, donuts and ice cream. And drink a can of Coke while you're at it.
    When I was recovering from ED, my dietician (yes, a real dietician) encouraged moderation, not exclusion, moderation of all foods. Moderation was what got me on the path to having a healthy relationship with food. My dietician understood that elimination foods and food groups would only lead me to consume those foods in excess.

Yes, they do know more than you do. What other people eat is NONE of your business.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My guess is that the reason some people consume soda in such quantities is that it's easy to drink mindlessly and not satiating for most (because liquid calories).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are so many dieticians and nutritionists who will tell you that if you crave sugar, there is no problem eating cake, cookies, donuts and ice cream. And drink a can of Coke while you're at it.
    When I was recovering from ED, my dietician (yes, a real dietician) encouraged moderation, not exclusion, moderation of all foods. Moderation was what got me on the path to having a healthy relationship with food. My dietician understood that elimination foods and food groups would only lead me to consume those foods in excess.

Yes, they do know more than you do. What other people eat is NONE of your business.

I had the same experience. We also had restaurant outings and they took us to McDonald's, Chinese, buffet, etc. We ate dessert with our meals, actually we ate a bit of every thing (as inpatient and day hospital)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    As opposed to.....fake food?
    Confusing...

I'm not saying it's a good idea to eat one every day, but why is my homemade strawberry rhubarb pie not real food? Or a peach cobbler, as mentioned upthread, or an apple tart or cinnamon coffee cake or Christmas cookie?

Luckily, I'm too lazy to bake all that often and only run into others baking for me occasionally!
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Luckily, the dietician at my job when I started losing weight was knowledgable and based her experience in science so yes, she was all about moderation.
  • fleur23xx
    fleur23xx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use to have a huge sweet tooth, like BAD! I would see dessert in front of me and I couldn't say no. One was not enough for me and I always went back for more, it was like I was possessed. Something that took my cravings away by 75-80% is upping my healthy fat intake. I was playing around with my macros on the suggestion of my trainer to see what would make me feel my best. I was previously on a diet higher on the carbs, healthy carbs not processed, but still carbs. I noticed on days when I would increase my fat intake, my cravings disappeared and my mood improved. Don't get me wrong, I still love a good brownie, but the cravings aren't as intense as it used to be. I can eat a small serving and not be tempted for more. I've read articles that say if you are eating the correct nutrients for your body your cravings should disappear and I found that to be true. Dr. Mercola goes into detail about how great health fats are for your body, you can google his website. Healthy fats I eat almost daily are avocado (I eat half to a whole avocado daily), chia seeds, walnuts, almonds, wild fish, coconuts and coconut oil, etc. A high fat diet may not be right for everyone so try playing around with your macros and see what works for you.