How often do you overeat?

Options

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    I don't overeat. Nothing to do with calories, I just don't like the way I feel after I've eaten a lot. Plus I like having a flat belly and not being bloated or having that weighed down feeling.

So I enjoy the foods that I love, but I learned to pace myself, plan (check out menus and the eats at events beforehand) and have any excess food for another meal (or two) or give it away if I had enough.

Many times my eyes are bigger than my stomach, but physically I can't stuff myself anymore even when I want to.

Coming from someone who used to eat anything I wanted whenever I wanted it for a long time, this is still a very strange feeling.

This is me, too. Totally.

and me 3 :smiley:
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    We go to my favourite buffet every 3mths or so. I psyche myself up for this event a couple days beforehand lol
    I will have 5 good size plates of as much as i can stuff on there, followed by 3 plates of dessert (my fave). consisting of pavlova, creme brulet, mud cake, custard, pudding and cup cakes . I'm still full the day after! :lol:

That is impressive!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    We go to my favourite buffet every 3mths or so. I psyche myself up for this event a couple days beforehand lol
    I will have 5 good size plates of as much as i can stuff on there, followed by 3 plates of dessert (my fave). consisting of pavlova, creme brulet, mud cake, custard, pudding and cup cakes . I'm still full the day after! :lol:

Man that never happens to me. If I eat too much one day, I'm still hungry the next day. It sucks!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

That is impressive!

I should add, the plates aren't dinner plate size, they're a bit bigger than bread plates. They make sure you can't fit too much on there lol
    Francl27 wrote: »

Man that never happens to me. If I eat too much one day, I'm still hungry the next day. It sucks!

Ha this only happens on the day after buffet days. I dread to think how many calories we pack away....probably 4 days worth :worried: ,
  • Abm4n
    Abm4n Posts: 529 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I pretty much tend to over-eat at every meal. I know it is not good to gorge but 13 years at English boarding schools can do that to you. Growing up I became an opportunist feeder, like a feral animal. I also see this same behaviour in my refugee students - in this rich country where vast amounts of food are given away free they become overweight, then obese and finally diabetic.

However, what I have learned is that it's the spaces between meals that really count, more than how much I eat. These are the times when my body has time to digest and insulin levels can return to normal (usually it takes about 11 hours for insulin to lower).

So yes, I eat a lot but less frequently now. 1 or 2 times a day usually. Today, just once. I like to eat my evening meal early at 4.30 pm then I stop eating. Also, eating fatty meat instead of sugary carbs slows me down. It's harder to overeat on fatty pork belly.
  • MelZweightlossjourney
    Options
    Like twice a week lmao
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say I over eat but I will have a bigger than usual meal (or something I normally don't have-like say pizza or chicken pieces) once a week or every other week depending on how I'm feeling/if I want it. I don't over eat to the point of being overly full/sick anymore cause I don't like how I feel. I still could I just don't haha
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It's not overeating if you consider your weekly calories. You could theoretically have a 10,000-calorie day as long as your weekly is still where it needs to be. (Arbitrary number - I wouldn't try it because the recovery would be painfully austere.)

I bank calories all the time. Do a few fasting days (1000 or less) in advance of eating like a human one day over the weekend. That kind of thing. And contrary to popular opinion, short-duration fasting does not decrease your metabolism. That takes months of deprivation for that - your body simply can't adjust that fast over the course of a few days.

Some science at http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/the-new-way-to-love-food/283276/ and http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/01/magazine/tara-parker-pope-fat-trap.html?_r=0
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Every quarter some friends and I hit up a Brazilian steakhouse on a Friday and take that afternoon off. After gorging myself with all kinds of meat we head up to an Irish pub, drink whisky (never too much) and smoke cigars in the afternoon. I might feel a little bloated and lethargic that night but the next day I'm bounding with energy.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Never, I just bulk some days and cut on others :) lol. That's my reasoning and I'm sticking to it!!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

That is impressive!

I should add, the plates aren't dinner plate size, they're a bit bigger than bread plates. They make sure you can't fit too much on there lol
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ha this only happens on the day after buffet days. I dread to think how many calories we pack away....probably 4 days worth :worried: ,

Gosh, it's amazing that you can do that. It appears that it has no impact on you weight because you don't do it often. Also, how long after that buffet does it take for your weight to normalize again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Rarely, it's just not worth it to me, for gastrointestinal comfort & calories.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I reserve vacations for IDGAF activities. Great example was my trip to Maui. One memorable example was my second to the last night there - I ordered a two-pound prime rib for myself, and although I shared probably a three-quarters of a pound with others at the table, I polished off the remainder. Other great treats included white chocolate macadamia nut pancakes, ribeye, a luau with at least three trips to the buffet table, and three mornings doing the buffet breakfast at the hotel, which was awesome.

When I'm at home, I log pretty everything and 90% of the time keep within my daily limits, and keep within my weekly limits 99% of the time.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Every Friday. This past weekend was a double whammy of my anniversary and birthday, so yeah...But that's over and I got back on the wagon Monday morning, no big deal. Well, except my running suffered on Monday and Tuesday. Just today, I finally felt good doing it and not like I was going to die. Ugh. But those donuts were so good! Hehe...

I noticed that the OP was talking about high calorie treats like cheesecake. There are good ways, honest, to limit that kind of damage without sacrificing flavor. I can vouch for both of these as being awesome:

Greek Yogurt Cheesecake
    Zucchini Brownies

You can sub the sugar in both of those for Truvia baking blend and save a boatload of calories.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Every Friday. This past weekend was a double whammy of my anniversary and birthday, so yeah...But that's over and I got back on the wagon Monday morning, no big deal. Well, except my running suffered on Monday and Tuesday. Just today, I finally felt good doing it and not like I was going to die. Ugh. But those donuts were so good! Hehe...

I noticed that the OP was talking about high calorie treats like cheesecake. There are good ways, honest, to limit that kind of damage without sacrificing flavor. I can vouch for both of these as being awesome:

Greek Yogurt Cheesecake
    Zucchini Brownies

You can sub the sugar in both of those for Truvia baking blend and save a boatload of calories.

Truvia Baking blend is tricky when baking with it.. My husband can taste the bitterness every time I bake with it. So for confections, I have to bake using the real thing. We plan for that..
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    At the risk of giving too much info here goes! My "cycle" is short. About every 3 weeks Charlie stops in for a week. The entire week and a half prior I am like a wild beast with an insatiable appetite. Once Charlie arrives I have about 3 more days of this and then it subsides. Until that time I am hungry on a level that I cannot describe with words. Try as I might to quell this immeasurable hunger with some nice, respectable amount of chocolate or potato chips, vitamins as some suggest protein and extra hydration, nothing and I do mean NOTHING can tame my urge to rip through the kitchen like a Tasmanian Devil. I try and have all this wonderful discipline and mind over matter. I try never going into the kitchen unless I have to. I try and fail. So basically I over eat as often as "that" is going on which is a little too often for my taste. If you do the math you realize that only about half the time do I have a fighting chance. I like to believe that maintaining my eating plan as well as possible when I am feeling "normal" seems to have made a kind of a difference in all that. I feel like maybe the appetite has less of an edge and can be satisfied some days. So yeah. That's my story.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Greek Yogurt Cheesecake
    Zucchini Brownies

Truvia Baking blend is tricky when baking with it.. My husband can taste the bitterness every time I bake with it. So for confections, I have to bake using the real thing. We plan for that..

Huh. I don't ever taste it and neither my husband or daughter have mentioned it, regardless of if they knew it was in something or not.

Maybe it is like cilantro. It either tastes like soap to you or it doesn't! :smile:
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I go over maintenance once or twice a month. (I've hit the 100 day logging in point, today) but find it impossible to truly gorge on anything because it makes me feel ill. I didn't become overweight by eating loads, though. I just consistently ate one or two hundred above maintenance!

I gorged on chocolate, at the weekend, and it's turned out to be the ultimate aversion therapy. I'm suffering some very painful and debilitating symptoms that I've not experienced in such an extreme form since the Spring. I'm thinking it's no coincidence.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I reserve vacations for IDGAF activities. Great example was my trip to Maui. One memorable example was my second to the last night there - I ordered a two-pound prime rib for myself, and although I shared probably a three-quarters of a pound with others at the table, I polished off the remainder. Other great treats included white chocolate macadamia nut pancakes, ribeye, a luau with at least three trips to the buffet table, and three mornings doing the buffet breakfast at the hotel, which was awesome.

When I'm at home, I log pretty everything and 90% of the time keep within my daily limits, and keep within my weekly limits 99% of the time.

White chocolate macadamia nut anything! I love that combo. Your vacation food sounds fabulous!

Greek Yogurt Cheesecake
    Zucchini Brownies

Did I mention I love food?! I would try both of those things! If I have cheesecake I usually make them in muffin tins so that they are smaller sizes. If it is no holds bar eat ALL THE THINGS kind of meal (which probably happens once every 3 months) I am going to eat a large piece...maybe 2! :wink: