Eating more and still losing!!

Options
I recently started a challenge at my gym and the nutritionist told me I was under-eating. She suggested I try and eat a gram of protein for every pound of my ideal body weight. She said to add triple zero yogurt, protein shakes and big, healthy salads and stick to fruit as my carbs. I was weary at first about still losing while eating more but it's working!!! I know every-body is different but i wanted to share :)

Replies

• fleur23xx
    fleur23xx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Great job on losing! I'm not surprised your post has no replies. Eating more while losing seems like a controversial topic. This is what I was trying to say in my other discussion post and I had members just telling me I probably counted calories wrong before and I'm really not eating more now and losing weight, that I am just miscounting. Just because it goes against traditional dietary advice does not mean it's impossible. I know because I have been eating more and losing weight too! I was undereating and over-exercising and my body was not losing weight. People forget hormones play a huge factor in weight loss. Sleep, stress, undereating, and over-exercising all effect hormones by raising cortisol and promotes belly fat. Not to mention, over-exercising in the form of excessive cardio causes muscle loss, which then lowers your metabolic rate. It will initially cause weight loss, but then you will slowly gain because of the muscle loss. Yes the most obvious way to lose weight is calories in vs out, but sometimes that's not the whole story and like you said, everybody's different. Calories in vs out worked for me for years... until it didn't. Keep doing what you're doing because undereating sucks!
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    fleur23xx wrote: »
    Great job on losing! I'm not surprised your post has no replies. Eating more while losing seems like a controversial topic. This is what I was trying to say in my other discussion post and I had members just telling me I probably counted calories wrong before and I'm really not eating more now and losing weight, that I am just miscounting. Just because it goes against traditional dietary advice does not mean it's impossible. I know because I have been eating more and losing weight too! I was undereating and over-exercising and my body was not losing weight. People forget hormones play a huge factor in weight loss. Sleep, stress, undereating, and over-exercising all effect hormones by raising cortisol and promotes belly fat. Not to mention, over-exercising in the form of excessive cardio causes muscle loss, which then lowers your metabolic rate. It will initially cause weight loss, but then you will slowly gain because of the muscle loss. Yes the most obvious way to lose weight is calories in vs out, but sometimes that's not the whole story and like you said, everybody's different. Calories in vs out worked for me for years... until it didn't. Keep doing what you're doing because undereating sucks!

Eating more and losing more doesn't just go against dietary advice. It goes against thermodynamics. Scientific facts aren't opinions, they're facts.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The op never mentioned she is losing more weight than she was when she was undereating. She says she is still losing even though she upped her calories which is possible as she is still eating below her tdee
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »

Eating more and losing more doesn't just go against dietary advice. It goes against thermodynamics. Scientific facts aren't opinions, they're facts.

Eating more doesn't mean she is eating over her TDEE. She can eat more, still be under TDEE and still lose weight.

Eating more doesn't even mean she is necessarily eating more calories. She added a lot of low calorie food, so she could be eating more volume of low calorie food and replacing higher calorie foods with it.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Eating more doesn't mean she is eating over her TDEE. She can eat more, still be under TDEE and still lose weight.

Eating more doesn't even mean she is necessarily eating more calories. She added a lot of low calorie food, so she could be eating more volume of low calorie food and replacing higher calorie foods with it.

I didn't think I had to spell this out, but okay:

Eating more calories than you were previously eating will not lead to losing more weight than you were previously losing, without changing other factors.

That statement was not aimed at the OP, who didn't make such a claim. I'm absolutely thrilled for the OP, I'm glad they're eating a good amount and losing weight.
  • maldives0923
    maldives0923 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also exercise 6x a week on a regular basis and have been consistently for months and wasn't losing. I changed up my diet and now I'm dropping. What is TDEE? I'm new to this chat area :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

I didn't think I had to spell this out, but okay:

Eating more calories than you were previously eating will not lead to losing more weight than you were previously losing, without changing other factors.

She said she was eating more. Not eating more calories. I already explained how she could mean "more" food and not necessarily more calories.
    Nor did OP say she was losing more weight. She said she was still losing weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    I also exercise 6x a week on a regular basis and have been consistently for months and wasn't losing. I changed up my diet and now I'm dropping. What is TDEE? I'm new to this chat area :)

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It is the amount your body needs to support all the functions, activity, etc. If you eat your TDEE you will neither gain nor lose. Eat over - gain. Eat under - lose.
  • maldives0923
    Options
    Ok! Thanks
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Good job OP, stick with it and you'll have am easier time transitioning to maintenence when you reach your goals.
  • maldives0923
    Options
    Thanks! What does OP mean? Overpowered? Lol
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Opening poster=you
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Opening poster
    I always thought it was Original Poster. Or Original Post. LOL
  • Aaron_K123
    edited September 2016
    Options
    Thanks! What does OP mean? Overpowered? Lol

Uh...sure yeah that works too ;-) Welcome to the internet by the way.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Opening poster
    I always thought it was Original Poster. Or Original Post. LOL

I make stuff up!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP were you counting calories before you upped your food? If so, are you eating more calories now, or more volume?
  • maldives0923
    Options
    I wasn't counting calories before- just eating mostly protein and low carb as that has worked for me previously. I have definitely upped the volume and the times per day I am eating- less fat and more veggies and fruits- less nuts.
  • fleur23xx
    fleur23xx Posts: 37 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options

Yes I have heard this before. I'm not saying there isn't truth to it, I just said there is more to the equation if you read my post. All I know is I'm not hungry like I was and I know it's because I'm not undereating anymore. I don't even have to look at my calorie logs to know I was under eating, my body showed signs but I chose to ignore it. There were times I couldn't sleep because of the hunger. I look back now and think of how silly that is. Now I eat when I'm hungry and listen to my body! Your body knows best. I lost a little weight but more than that my body composition is so much better now.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I wasn't counting calories before- just eating mostly protein and low carb as that has worked for me previously. I have definitely upped the volume and the times per day I am eating- less fat and more veggies and fruits- less nuts.

Oh...well honestly you might be eating less caloricaly now then. Can't really know for sure if you weren't tracking calories before. Food volume and frequency aren't an indicator of calories.
  • maldives0923
    Options
    Food for thought. Indeed.