Options
13»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    bioklutz wrote: »
    We go to my favourite buffet every 3mths or so. I psyche myself up for this event a couple days beforehand lol
    I will have 5 good size plates of as much as i can stuff on there, followed by 3 plates of dessert (my fave). consisting of pavlova, creme brulet, mud cake, custard, pudding and cup cakes . I'm still full the day after! :lol:

That is impressive!

I should add, the plates aren't dinner plate size, they're a bit bigger than bread plates. They make sure you can't fit too much on there lol
    Francl27 wrote: »
    We go to my favourite buffet every 3mths or so. I psyche myself up for this event a couple days beforehand lol
    I will have 5 good size plates of as much as i can stuff on there, followed by 3 plates of dessert (my fave). consisting of pavlova, creme brulet, mud cake, custard, pudding and cup cakes . I'm still full the day after! :lol:

Man that never happens to me. If I eat too much one day, I'm still hungry the next day. It sucks!

Ha this only happens on the day after buffet days. I dread to think how many calories we pack away....probably 4 days worth :worried: ,

Gosh, it's amazing that you can do that. It appears that it has no impact on you weight because you don't do it often. Also, how long after that buffet does it take for your weight to normalize again.

Yeah it happens too infrequently to have much, if any affect on my weight. I usually debloat completely after around 3 days. But i don't eat much the following day, plus i drink a lot of extra water, so it evens itself out.
  • rosiesshire
    rosiesshire Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At the risk of giving too much info here goes! My "cycle" is short. About every 3 weeks Charlie stops in for a week. The entire week and a half prior I am like a wild beast with an insatiable appetite. Once Charlie arrives I have about 3 more days of this and then it subsides. Until that time I am hungry on a level that I cannot describe with words. Try as I might to quell this immeasurable hunger with some nice, respectable amount of chocolate or potato chips, vitamins as some suggest protein and extra hydration, nothing and I do mean NOTHING can tame my urge to rip through the kitchen like a Tasmanian Devil. I try and have all this wonderful discipline and mind over matter. I try never going into the kitchen unless I have to. I try and fail. So basically I over eat as often as "that" is going on which is a little too often for my taste. If you do the math you realize that only about half the time do I have a fighting chance. I like to believe that maintaining my eating plan as well as possible when I am feeling "normal" seems to have made a kind of a difference in all that. I feel like maybe the appetite has less of an edge and can be satisfied some days. So yeah. That's my story.

That is sooo me... I eat healthy most of the time, but when monthly hormones kick in, I don't even count calories because it's just so shocking how much I can pack in. I'm talking pounds of candy, ice cream, PB sandwiches, bowls of cereal, etc... Then I spend a week trying to recover from it, if I didn't exercise regularly I'm sure I'd be obese just from those 2-4 days a month. :( Explains why my weight has plateaued for 10 yrs, but Im slowly changing that with herbal hormone treatments that seem to be helping a little bit.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I want to add something else to this. The OP seems to me to be describing what is commonly called, here, Shark Week. And as many of you ladies do try to refrain from eating the children and pets, that requires your will power and will power is a diminishing resource. An occasional yielding does make sense to me. If she's describing something else, well, I have no similar experience.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I just got off of a week long cruise. I'm pretty sure I ate and drank probably 4000 calories every day. I regret nothing lol. I just need to eat below maintenance for a little bit and I'll be fine. It still amazes me the quantities of food I am able to eat, when I choose to.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I have never found it difficult to eat a lot, not before, and not now, but that's not the point - I don't want to eat too much anymore; and I just believed I liked it before, because that was what I had grown up with. I love food, almost every food, and I love to eat, but I actually prefer to be pleasantly full. Not to "be good", but because I realized it was possible to stop eating before bursting at the seams, and eating is even more enjoyable this way.

I'm Norwegian, and we have one expression for one-time overeating (forspise seg), like we do at Christmas and birthdays, and one expression for consistent overeating (overspising), which can be done at most or every meal, or by constant snacking/grazing. The latter is the real troublemaker, but the former gets the attention.

I will overeat on purpose now on special occasions when the food is especially decadent, but my everyday meals are all delicious, so I don't even have the same urge to overeat anymore.

This describes me to the T.
  • yellowledbetter87
    Options
    I traditionally followed a pattern of major restriction and then binging every few weeks (typically on a weekend), always followed by a very physically uncomfortable "food hangover," and unfortunately, corresponding shame and disgust. Which certainly is no way to live. However, eating the same amount of calories each day doesn't exactly work either - it's much easier to keep my diet on point during the weekdays. Furthermore, due to my small size I also have a rather narrow range of too much vs too little caloric intake.
    So, my current policy is to eat an average amount of calories over the course of a week. I eat a "tight" diet during the week easily, and then bank those calories for the weekend. It averages about to an extra 2000 calories over friday/saturday/sunday - by no means a binge per day (though could be banked for one singular day), just a little wiggle room. It addresses the psychological implications of my overeating too - I feel more okay about a burger and margarita, because it's in my budget, and less easily fall into an "off the wagon" mindset. All about control.
    Lastly, to meet myself in the middle I've gotten better at identifying/avoidng those "trigger" foods/situations that REALLY set off the binging campaigns - Depriving too much, getting too-too drunk, and sugar/sweet indulgences, including fruit. I used to consume like 150 g of sugar in fruit a day - i feel addicted and its genuinely hard to stop. So, when I'm on one of my "loose" days, those extra calories are much more likely to come from something high fat or carb, but not necessarily sweet, like fries or pizza- its the psychological reaction to a "sweet" vs "savory" food item).
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I traditionally followed a pattern of major restriction and then binging every few weeks (typically on a weekend), always followed by a very physically uncomfortable "food hangover," and unfortunately, corresponding shame and disgust. Which certainly is no way to live. However, eating the same amount of calories each day doesn't exactly work either - it's much easier to keep my diet on point during the weekdays. Furthermore, due to my small size I also have a rather narrow range of too much vs too little caloric intake.
    So, my current policy is to eat an average amount of calories over the course of a week. I eat a "tight" diet during the week easily, and then bank those calories for the weekend. It averages about to an extra 2000 calories over friday/saturday/sunday - by no means a binge per day (though could be banked for one singular day), just a little wiggle room. It addresses the psychological implications of my overeating too - I feel more okay about a burger and margarita, because it's in my budget, and less easily fall into an "off the wagon" mindset. All about control.
    Lastly, to meet myself in the middle I've gotten better at identifying/avoidng those "trigger" foods/situations that REALLY set off the binging campaigns - Depriving too much, getting too-too drunk, and sugar/sweet indulgences, including fruit. I used to consume like 150 g of sugar in fruit a day - i feel addicted and its genuinely hard to stop. So, when I'm on one of my "loose" days, those extra calories are much more likely to come from something high fat or carb, but not necessarily sweet, like fries or pizza- its the psychological reaction to a "sweet" vs "savory" food item).

Pearl Jam @yellowledbetter87 ?
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I don't tend to over eat where I'm sick but I do eat larger portions maybe a every few days
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    At the risk of giving too much info here goes! My "cycle" is short. About every 3 weeks Charlie stops in for a week. The entire week and a half prior I am like a wild beast with an insatiable appetite. Once Charlie arrives I have about 3 more days of this and then it subsides. Until that time I am hungry on a level that I cannot describe with words. Try as I might to quell this immeasurable hunger with some nice, respectable amount of chocolate or potato chips, vitamins as some suggest protein and extra hydration, nothing and I do mean NOTHING can tame my urge to rip through the kitchen like a Tasmanian Devil. I try and have all this wonderful discipline and mind over matter. I try never going into the kitchen unless I have to. I try and fail. So basically I over eat as often as "that" is going on which is a little too often for my taste. If you do the math you realize that only about half the time do I have a fighting chance. I like to believe that maintaining my eating plan as well as possible when I am feeling "normal" seems to have made a kind of a difference in all that. I feel like maybe the appetite has less of an edge and can be satisfied some days. So yeah. That's my story.

That is sooo me... I eat healthy most of the time, but when monthly hormones kick in, I don't even count calories because it's just so shocking how much I can pack in. I'm talking pounds of candy, ice cream, PB sandwiches, bowls of cereal, etc... Then I spend a week trying to recover from it, if I didn't exercise regularly I'm sure I'd be obese just from those 2-4 days a month. :( Explains why my weight has plateaued for 10 yrs, but Im slowly changing that with herbal hormone treatments that seem to be helping a little bit.

I have absolutely shocked and appalled even myself sometimes. Nothing is safe! One thing I LOVE is to get a bowl (yes BOWL) of bacon bits, add a handful of sunflower seeds, about 1/3 a cup of any shredded cheese, a LOT of chopped green olives, maybe a chopped cucumber, and a nice dose of some kind of Italian dressing. Salt city baby! Or I will get a bowl of marshmallows and add in a bunch of chocolate chips and microwave it until the marshmallows try to take over the world and eat that. I also am bad about just eating like spoonfuls of condiments like salad dressing, or sour cream and those little tubs of strawberry cream cheese. I should probably stop giving details. I'm making my self hungry!
  • yellowledbetter87
    Options
    [quote="yellowledbetter87;37544757"

Pearl Jam @yellowledbetter87 ?

You betcha

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    @piperdown44 I just went to a Brazilian steakhouse tonight. To my surprise, supper logged in at about 1000 calories, nowhere near what I thought it would.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Truthfully, never. I love food. But if I eat too much at a sitting, it makes me feel sick and I've learned that eating that same delicious fantastic glorious food in smaller portions makes me feel even better.

And if I save some for later, there's more tomorrow. And it will taste even better then. Because the first bite is the best.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever do, and even less now that I have to enter the details in MFP. Going to a large family gathering tomorrow night, so that might actually be the first big eat for the year.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Probably a couple times a month I overeat, but like others have mentioned I bank my calories. Right now I have been eating in a deficit for the past week and will continue for another week because next weekend is my town's annual festival and there will be food and drinking and all sorts of fun where I would prefer not to calorie count. ;) Honestly, like you said I LOVE food and I have to incorporate some form of "overeating" on a regular basis or I will not stick with this and I'll get fat again. It works for me and that's all I care about. :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I screw up once or twice a month. Full on binges are rare any more. I am less disordered than i was. I think.
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    I love food. I love trying new foods. I love low calorie foods like cucumbers, honey dew melons. I love decadent high calorie foods like cheesecake and anything salted caramel. I love protein foods like steak, turkey, fish. I will try any food that is put in front of me - even mushrooms which I don't like.

Every few months I have a meal where I just gorge myself silly. Last night was one of those nights. I was at a party where they made a ridiculous amount of steak. They had chicken and potato salad and other things. I had the potato salad and steak and some raw veggies and fruit. I regret eating the potato salad because it was not as good as the steak and probably could have eaten another piece of meat if I didn't eat the potato salad. If I had to guess I probably ate about 1.5-2 pounds of cooked steak. I topped it off a HUGE slice of chocolate cake.

I ate more than men who probably weigh over twice what I do. I ate more than a growing teenage boy. It was glorious. The beast inside by belly is happy for a few months.

How often do you let loose and just eat yourself silly? What are your favorite foods to overeat?

I'm the same as you, I rarely meet a food I don't like. I began my WOE on Jan 1, and so far I have had 2 binges. The first lasted 3 days. I guess so far it would be about once per 3 or 4 months. Both times have been intentional and planned. I think it took me 2 weeks after that first binge to get to where I was before it.
  • OneWayOnlyCycles
    OneWayOnlyCycles Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    HONESTLY? Now? NEVER!! I am so dedicated.....it's disgusting. I am so in control that I bet I will be down 40 pounds by December and so Happy!!!
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I overeat at lunch a lot and then have to have a light dinner.