Quest Bars?

Options
I've been meaning to try these+I definitely plan to purchase the protein powder. Questions are:
1. High in sugar?
2. Do they keep you full/not hungry for over an hour?(ex: post-workout snack)
3. Best flavor? (This is based on opinion of course, but what's your favorite)/what do you recommend)

Thanks! :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    1. Nope, no sugar added. Just sweeteners.
    2. For me it does. I can eat one for breakfast and be good for hours (yay protein and fiber!)
    3. Mint chocolate chunk or double chocolate chunk
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I eat them as a snack, not enough for a meal. My favourite flavours are double chocolate chunk, cookie dough and cookies n cream. Microwaving them for 15 seconds takes them to the next level of yumness :lol:

Beware of the cheesecake varieties, they're super sweet and fake tasting.
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My hubby bought me 3 to try. Cookies and cream, a chocolate one and a strawberry cheesecake. The chocolate one was good and I was pretty full for hours. I couldn't eat the strawberry one. The taste made me gag. And I had the cookies and cream one today. It was so far my favorite.

They're pretty spendy but if you can afford them go for it!
  • Christine_72
    Options
    My hubby bought me 3 to try. Cookies and cream, a chocolate one and a strawberry cheesecake. The chocolate one was good and I was pretty full for hours. I couldn't eat the strawberry one. The taste made me gag. And I had the cookies and cream one today. It was so far my favorite.

They're pretty spendy but if you can afford them go for it!

Was that the strawberry cheesecake one @Alishia6606 ? Did you find it too sweet/artificial tasting?
  • silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Quest bars use erythritol as a sweetner which has zero glycemic index (GI) and zero calories. Most Quest bars have around 3 net carbs, but it varies with flavor. Most only have 1 or 2 grams of sugar. Other brands use other sweetners so you need to read labels and get some knowledge on what they use.

The white choc rasberry is probably my fav, but I don't eat them often. There are a lot of flavors out there that my local stores don't carry.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I just recently tried the quest cravings peanut butter cups. Not as tasty as reeces, but they still tasted good and have decent macros too. I'll be buying them again :+1:
  • Alishia6606
    Alishia6606 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Was that the strawberry cheesecake one @Alishia6606 ? Did you find it too sweet/artificial tasting?

It did taste artificial, and wrong. I'm not big on strawberry anything. But that tasted just awful. Also the texture was bad, the smell of it too. I struggled for 20 minutes to eat the chocolate one but devoured the cookies and cream bar.

It almost seems like the tastes are pretty dependent on flavor a and if you can get past the dense heaviness of the bar you should be ok.

I am kinda excited to try other favors.
  • auroralaura69
    auroralaura69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The peanut butter and jelly is to die for! I like how they are super chewy so they take a while to eat. GNC has good sales on them sometimes.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Costco sells chocolate brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough protein bars that taste like the old formula (better tasting) Quest bars 20 for $18. The new formula Quest bars have a prominent artificial sweetener taste.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I like the double chocolate chunk one and use it as a meal replacement if I'm somewhere where the food choices will really hurt my calorie or sodium goals. I do notice a bit of a chemical aftertaste a bit later but it's an ok trade off. The only other flavor I've tried is white chocolate raspberry and it was overly sweet and I only ate half of it.
  • Christine_72
    edited September 2016
    Options
    cappri wrote: »
    I like the double chocolate chunk one and use it as a meal replacement if I'm somewhere where the food choices will really hurt my calorie or sodium goals. I do notice a bit of a chemical aftertaste a bit later but it's an ok trade off. The only other flavor I've tried is white chocolate raspberry and it was overly sweet and I only ate half of it.

I just ate a double chocolate chunk bar thanks to this thread, I wasn't even hungry! It happens every time, i must remember not to click on Quest bar threads in future :lol:

ETA: remember to weigh them, mine was 65g. I haven't had one yet that weighs 60g, they are always more.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've avoided Quest bars simply because they're so ridiculously expensive everywhere I've seen them. There's so many protein bars out there that will keep you just as full for similar calories, ingredients and much cheaper.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    JinjoJoey wrote: »
    I've avoided Quest bars simply because they're so ridiculously expensive everywhere I've seen them. There's so many protein bars out there that will keep you just as full for similar calories, ingredients and much cheaper.

Come to Australia, the cheapest I've found them is $4 each. A box of 12 is around $47. I treat them like gold, and only have one if i really, really crave it.

• JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Come to Australia, the cheapest I've found them is $4 each. A box of 12 is around $47. I treat them like gold, and only have one if i really, really crave it.

That's awful!
  • Christine_72
    Options

That's awful!

Yeah it sucks! Even the comparable Aussie brands cost the same!
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I had been avoiding Quest due to hype, cost, and trying to eat less prepackaged stuff. But I was stuck in an airport with limited options and decided to give it a try.

S'mores! It was so much better than I expected.

Since my initial encounter I have tried the chocolate chunk, cookie dough, and peanut butter chocolate. I liked everything but the pbc...but I don't like most things pbc unless it is actual peanut butter and chocolate.

They are a calorific snack but the chewy texture slows the consumption process and leaves me satisfied.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I have been avoiding them because they are absolutely nasty and the ones with artificial sweetener leave a very bad taste in my mouth. My husband did gag and spit them out (true story). The only one that was decent was the smores, but it still did not have enough of the chocolate chunks in it to be considered acceptable.

Now before I made my review I have tried almost all the flavors including ones without sweeteners. They are chewy (if you want to call it that) and to me too soft.. however if you have to tolerate them, leaving them in your car to get warm might help.

Best baked protein bar by far for me is the Fit Crunch Peanut Butter, Cookie N Cream or the Combat bars. This is of course if you prefer a crunch.
  • betrishy
    betrishy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    3. White chocolate raspberry

This one!!!!!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    Costco sells chocolate brownie and chocolate chip cookie dough protein bars that taste like the old formula (better tasting) Quest bars 20 for $18. The new formula Quest bars have a prominent artificial sweetener taste.

QFT