What is going on ?!

Options
For about a month I've had an okay diet and going to the gym at least 3-4 times a week doing weight training and cardio.

I didn't really lose any weight so i thought maybe i need to control my diet even more.

I got my wisdom teeth out a week ago and I've probably been consuming about 600 to 700 calories a day due to pudding and soup diet.

Also have been doing light cardio and body weight exercises. But very little change in weight and no change on inches.

What's going on and what can i do?

I used to lose weight quite easily and for some reason the past 2 months they're has been no change.

Replies

• Arapacana1
    Arapacana1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh and log everything you are eating?
  • Elle129
    Elle129 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Arapacana1 wrote: »

Yep!
  • sweetbug0130
    sweetbug0130 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. If your calories go to low, your body doesn't have enough fuel. Eat a bit more calories from protein and see how that works.
  • Elle129
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. If your calories go to low, your body doesn't have enough fuel. Eat a bit more calories from protein and see how that works.

So maybe some peanut butter for now? At least until i can better handle solid foods haha.

I know that your metabolism slows when you don't consume enough calories but i thought that was something that happened over time. Since this is temporary i thought I'd at LEAST drop more weight during this time.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Elle129 wrote: »

Yep!

When you weigh your food, are you changing your scales every time? The reason I'm asking is because some of your diary entries are in ounces and some are in grams, do you deliberately switch between the two with your scales or are you trusting the weight on the labels on the pack? You've also got cup measurements, which should be for liquids only.
  • sweetbug0130
    Options

So maybe some peanut butter for now? At least until i can better handle solid foods haha.

I know that your metabolism slows when you don't consume enough calories but i thought that was something that happened over time. Since this is temporary i thought I'd at LEAST drop more weight during this time.

Peanut butter, protein shakes, greek yogurt, etc. Get 1200 calories a day for a week and see if that helps.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

Eating more won't result in losing more - most of us wouldn't be here if it did.

• sweetbug0130
    Options

Eating more won't result in losing more - most of us wouldn't be here if it did.

I have experienced this before. If you don't fuel your body for fat burning, it won't burn fat. It's a catch 22 but it's real. If I go above a certain number I won't lose, and in turn if I go below a certain number I won't lose either. Every body is different and you have to learn how your body reacts to certain things. Eating more foods that help the body burn fat, help you lose more. Your body needs a certain amount of calories, just to operate daily bodily functions. If nothing is left to burn fat, you won't.
  • Elle129
    Options

Yep!

When you weigh your food, are you changing your scales every time? The reason I'm asking is because some of your diary entries are in ounces and some are in grams, do you deliberately switch between the two with your scales or are you trusting the weight on the labels on the pack? You've also got cup measurements, which should be for liquids only.

They're estimated. I tend to go by the labels for the most part.

Calories may not be approximate but shouldn't be vastly skewed
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

I have experienced this before. If you don't fuel your body for fat burning, it won't burn fat. It's a catch 22 but it's real. If I go above a certain number I won't lose, and in turn if I go below a certain number I won't lose either. Every body is different and you have to learn how your body reacts to certain things. Eating more foods that help the body burn fat, help you lose more. Your body needs a certain amount of calories, just to operate daily bodily functions. If nothing is left to burn fat, you won't.

There's no logic to that. The end result of not eating isn't weight gain, it's malnutrition or death. I'm hoping some of the more science-y people come along and explain it better.
  • CurlyCockney
    Options

Yep!

Ah ok, I don't understand why you would say "yep" to the question if the answer is "nope", but weighing everything will give you a more accurate idea of how many calories you're ingesting. I'd highly recommend not increasing your calories until you know what they really are.
  • Elle129
    Options

This is new for me for sure. I used to be able to lose weight just by doing something as simple as 15 minutes on the treadmill and 1200 calorie diet.

This recent problem was pretty abrupt. I wasn't losing prior to my wisdom teeth extraction and i was eating 1200 a day. This has been going on for 2-3 months.

So something has changed and i have no idea what.
  • Elle129
    Options

Yep!

Ah ok, I don't understand why you would say "yep" to the question if the answer is "nope", but weighing everything will give you a more accurate idea of how many calories you're ingesting. I'd highly recommend not increasing your calories until you know what they really are.

I actually missed the part where you said weigh. That's my fault. I meant that i LOG everything. Sorry

• sweetbug0130
    edited September 2016
    Options

There's no logic to that. The end result of not eating isn't weight gain, it's malnutrition or death. I'm hoping some of the more science-y people come along and explain it better.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/weight/fewer-calories-stalls-metabolism.aspx

Everyone has an opinion. This is what happened to me. I ate 1000 calories every day and didn't lose anything past the first few weeks. I upped it to 1350 and I lost 5 lbs in 3 days.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

No one is ever overweight because they're eating too little. Please ignore this, OP.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options

This is new for me for sure. I used to be able to lose weight just by doing something as simple as 15 minutes on the treadmill and 1200 calorie diet.

This recent problem was pretty abrupt. I wasn't losing prior to my wisdom teeth extraction and i was eating 1200 a day. This has been going on for 2-3 months.

Are you on medications after having your teeth out that could be causing you to retain water?
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I agree with making sure you weigh and account for everything you eat! You WILL lose weight this way as long as you are staying within your calorie goal!!!!
    It will work and you'll be very pleased.
    Eating less will not cause gain or maintain!!!!
  • Elle129
    Options

Are you on medications after having your teeth out that could be causing you to retain water?

Yep, Ibuprofen and Oxy for pain.
  • sweetbug0130
    Options

No one is ever overweight because they're eating too little. Please ignore this, OP.

I'm obviously not saying stop eating 1200 calories and eat 35,000 calories. I'm not an idiot. I just am giving her a real life scenario of what happened to me. Your opinions won't change what actually happened to me. It's fine. You are entitled to yours though.
  • Elle129
    Options

Actually, I'm not sure if Ibuprofen and Oxy makes you retain water. Does anyone know?