Country Heat workouts

Options
dragon_girl26
dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
edited August 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I noticed Beachbody released this new workout program sometime last month...the instructor is Autumn Calabrese. There aren't any reviews on Amazon for it, so I was curious to see if anyone here has tried it, and what you think of it. I've never done any of the BB workouts, but thought this might be fun.

P.S. Not selling anything, just looking for feedback.

Replies

• adri_rene208
    adri_rene208 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm also interested on any feedback, it looks like fun!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've heard some good things from a few friends who are coaches (i keep them around for new recipes). And one of them posted a video of herself doing it and it looked like a lot of fun if you like that kind of workout. I'm not a big fan of country music so it's not really my thing, but it did look fun.
  • Ibshealthfitnesswithashleys
    Options
    I started 21 day fix and I ordered country heat I'll be starting country heat in 20 days!! Add me
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    Well, I decided to go ahead and order it, so I guess I'll be a guinea pig.
    The things I do for MFP. :smiley:
  • KnittingSoo
    KnittingSoo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I got Country Heat last week and I just finished day 3. So far I'm enjoying it. I do like country music though so keep that in mind!

I did Cize earlier this year and really loved it (still do it in fact) and the approach in this one is quite different. You don't learn routines, you just learn steps - dance them for a bit and then move on some new ones. 22 different steps in each of the 2 workouts I've tried so far.

There is a 'breakdown' for each routine - it's about 15 minutes and just shows you the steps used in the routine. You only have to watch that once - or not at all if you pick up steps easily.

The routines are fun and if you watch the 'class' you will see there is quite a lot of variation in how you approach the steps which can increase or decrease the intensity. They are 30 minutes (including a cool down) so they fit into the day pretty easily.

The songs are good and most are familiar to me - but they are re-records and not the original artists. I thought that would bother me but so far I don't really notice it much.

Dragon_girl -- look forward to hearing what you think!!!! :)

• Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I did the preview workout when it was available. I am a BAD dancer...but it was fun and I got really sweaty. One of my friends got certified to teach live classes. She did not like country music going into it, but she loves the music now.
  • coolbear90
    coolbear90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Country heat is amazing! Yesterday was my day 15 of the 30 days. I have lost 5.6 pounds so far and an inch off everywhere! I love it so much. The moves are (mostly) super easy. A few of the moves I've had to do a few extra times to get the hang of, and there are some I haven't quite mastered like wonky feet (but I found a great video with a better angle that is super helpful if anyone is interested)
    If anyone is interested in following my fitness journey or support whilest doing country heat, you can friend me on facebook: facebook.com/flyingfree
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    I got Country Heat last week and I just finished day 3. So far I'm enjoying it. I do like country music though so keep that in mind!

I did Cize earlier this year and really loved it (still do it in fact) and the approach in this one is quite different. You don't learn routines, you just learn steps - dance them for a bit and then move on some new ones. 22 different steps in each of the 2 workouts I've tried so far.

There is a 'breakdown' for each routine - it's about 15 minutes and just shows you the steps used in the routine. You only have to watch that once - or not at all if you pick up steps easily.

The routines are fun and if you watch the 'class' you will see there is quite a lot of variation in how you approach the steps which can increase or decrease the intensity. They are 30 minutes (including a cool down) so they fit into the day pretty easily.

The songs are good and most are familiar to me - but they are re-records and not the original artists. I thought that would bother me but so far I don't really notice it much.

Dragon_girl -- look forward to hearing what you think!!!! :)

Thank you for the feedback. I plan to come back and update as soon as I start these. I did country line Dancing years ago, and do Zumba now, so looking forward to seeing how this will go!
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I think it is the cheesiest looking workout video since sweating to the oldies with Richard Simmons. I had the block the ad from my FB feed bc it was so painful to see Autumn looking so ridiculous! To each his own as they say.
  • KnittingSoo
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Tara4boys wrote: »
    I think it is the cheesiest looking workout video since sweating to the oldies with Richard Simmons. I had the block the ad from my FB feed bc it was so painful to see Autumn looking so ridiculous! To each his own as they say.

You say it like cheesy is a bad thing!! :smile: :smiley::smile: Off to complete day 4!
  • ShowingUpInMyLife
    ShowingUpInMyLife Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Apparently I love cheesy as I did this for the first time today and thought it was great fun and really makes you sweat! Can't wait to do it again!!
  • dragon_girl26
    edited August 2016
    Options
    So I did all of the workouts in this series so far, and I'm really enjoying them. I used to do country line dancing a lot when I was a little dragon, and so it's kind of a nostalgic feeling for me.
    In addition to the 6 workouts, there is also a 21 day fix "Dirty 30" bonus routine and one full line dance that Autumn breaks down first, then the dance is set to the music.
    I've heard that CIZE is set up quite similarly, where you do the routine in sets: starts with the step touch bit, then one dance move, then a 2nd dance move, and finally put the two together. Then you move on to the next two moves and do the same thing.
    The workouts get progressively more challenging, with the first one being the lowest intensity, as well as the llongest at around 31 minutes, and the last dance one at around 24 minutes. There is also a dance conditioning routine, which is the 6th workout.
    Most of the moves are fairly simple if you dance pretty often. If you don't, I could see some of them being a little challenging, but she has a breakdown section before each routine to help you master the moves before attempting the workouts. Each workout also has a 'Normal' or 'Turn it Up' music option if you prefer the louder music, too.
    I wouldn't classify any of them as overly difficult if you're at a pretty good fitness level, but they are fun for just getting up off the couch and moving. I like Autumn''s energy and I didn't even feel like I was doing a workout...just dancing and enjoying myself.
    One thing I find annoying is all of the ads and Shakeology stuff splashed everywhere but, eh, it's whatever. I guess it's expected.
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    coolbear90 wrote: »
    Country heat is amazing! Yesterday was my day 15 of the 30 days. I have lost 5.6 pounds so far and an inch off everywhere! I love it so much. The moves are (mostly) super easy. A few of the moves I've had to do a few extra times to get the hang of, and there are some I haven't quite mastered like wonky feet (but I found a great video with a better angle that is super helpful if anyone is interested)
    If anyone is interested in following my fitness journey or support whilest doing country heat, you can friend me on facebook: facebook.com/flyingfree

I found that I still can't do the wonky feet! I can pretty much get everything else, but I've watched the breakdown of that move several times and the only thing I can figure is that my feet just don't move that way, haha.
  • KnittingSoo
    Options
    The Cize format is quite different. The workout is geared to learning a full routine so that you learn the first step of the routine, then you learn the second, then the third. Each time you learn a new step you then do the whole routine up to that point 'from the top' a few times. Then learn the next step, a few more 'from the tops' and then next step and so on. At the end you have a 45 second(ish) routine that you do 3 times to the 'real' music - what Shaun T calls 'Cizing it Up'. The dances get progressively more complex. There are now some new ones on Beachbody on Demand which apparently are even more difficult. I don't have BOD though so haven't tried them.

I'm really enjoying Country Heat - but if I was forced to pick one (luckily I won't be!) it would be CIZE. I'm a rubbish dancer but I get a great sense of satisfaction when I finally feel I really know the routine.

I expect both will remain in my workout cycle for a while. I generally look forward to doing both of them which I can't say about all workouts.

The ads are annoying - but as you say I think they come with territory. I have no interest in Shakeology (or any meal replacement shake) - I like food. :)
  • dragon_girl26
    Options
    The Cize format is quite different. The workout is geared to learning a full routine so that you learn the first step of the routine, then you learn the second, then the third. Each time you learn a new step you then do the whole routine up to that point 'from the top' a few times. Then learn the next step, a few more 'from the tops' and then next step and so on. At the end you have a 45 second(ish) routine that you do 3 times to the 'real' music - what Shaun T calls 'Cizing it Up'. The dances get progressively more complex. There are now some new ones on Beachbody on Demand which apparently are even more difficult. I don't have BOD though so haven't tried them.

I'm really enjoying Country Heat - but if I was forced to pick one (luckily I won't be!) it would be CIZE. I'm a rubbish dancer but I get a great sense of satisfaction when I finally feel I really know the routine.

I expect both will remain in my workout cycle for a while. I generally look forward to doing both of them which I can't say about all workouts.

The ads are annoying - but as you say I think they come with territory. I have no interest in Shakeology (or any meal replacement shake) - I like food. :)

Well, in that case I'll have to give CIZE a shot as well. I love Zumba classes, but one of my coworkers told me CIZE is a nice alternative if you don't quite feel like going anywhere. I enjoyed Country Heat enough that I'm sure I'd enjoy CIZE as well. I can definitely see this one being useful to me, especially for those days I don't feel like doing anything. I've had a few of those lately, but I tell myself, it's only 30 minutes, you can do that at least..and by the end I'm always glad I did!
    I don't have BOD either...a little too expensive for my blood!
    Usually by the time the most annoying ads come on at the end, I can at least shut the DVD player...heh.
  • KnittingSoo
    Options
    If you want to check out the routines for Cize and see if you'd enjoy them - Shaun T has posted videos of him and his husband dancing three of them. (Disclaimer - I do not look remotely cool when I do them. I am not a dancer. But in my head - I am making those moves work!!) I found that the first couple of times attempting the workouts I didn't get as much of a sweat happening because it was a bit stop start and faltering. But the better I learn the routine the harder I pushed myself to get some oomph in the steps (you know - so I'd look cool :wink: ) and so although the routines got 'easier' the workout would be more intense. I still like doing them -- now I try to improve how I perform the steps and 'go for it' as Shaun would say!

Last dance of the series

Much to my surprise this is my fave!

Think this is the third one you learn
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Im on week 2 and loving it. It seems to make me want to keep working out. I do my workout and then I have this desire to do it all over again. So I wont complain
  • KnittingSoo
    Options
    Im on week 2 and loving it. It seems to make me want to keep working out. I do my workout and then I have this desire to do it all over again. So I wont complain

Exactly. Even got up at 5.45 today to squeeze in a Country Heat session before I went to work. Crazy!! :)

Only slightly related to Country Heat - just got in from a gig. Went to see Margo Price who was a-ma-zing. Loved it. Small venue here in London so we were standing at the front of the stage. Took along a Romanian friend who I am pretty sure has never knowingly/willingly listened to a country song in her life and she loved it. It was too crowded to bust out any of my new country moves though. :'(:)
  • mettfam
    mettfam Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 2 and so far it's a blast and I'm soaked in sweat! I think if you don't like country music you won't stick to it! Today is day one of a 30 day country heat challenge I'm in! Sticking to it
  • kishton723
    kishton723 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    When you log the activity in MFP, what category do you use?