Can we talk about lunges?

Options
I have been taking different classes (Bodypump, kettlebells, etc) and all of them invariably incorporate lunges. Many, many lunges. I can't seem to get them right. My legs shake, I lose my balance, I can BARELY get my knee to floor even once. After the class I get DOMS for days. Do they ever get easier? I know the fact they are so difficult for me probably indicates I should do them more, but I honestly dread feeling like I'm going to fall on my face and not being able to sit on the toilet without help later. Any insight on this?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    they do get easier for your muscles after time, but lunges are knee killers for me, i refuse to do them. try doing them using the trx for stability and/or assistance , that might help you until you get the coordination and some strength built up.
  • 3yunak
    3yunak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Maybe try doing split squats with some weight? Get your muscles stronger before working on the whole stepping back or forward part.
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Ey up.
    I suspect you may need to improve the muscle strength gradually.
    Try doing wall squats while squeezing a cushion or pillow between your knees.
    Or, do a wall squat, sit in said squat and raise each heel in turn. Make sure your feet are perfectly pointing forwards.
    Doing step ups will also help - step up with one leg, step back with the opposite leg and swap.
    Also, when you're not working out concentrate on how you move your legs.
    What I mean is, I can have a tendency to walk without using my quads - it's a muscle memory thing due to injury. Sometimes I have to concentrate on my quads when walking, but more importantly, coming down stairs. Make sure you're using your legs as efficiently as you can.
    All the best.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I agree about downshifting to split squats. Keep the front knee behind your toes.

A common mistake i see with both exercises is to have the feet too narrow. A wider stance is more stable.

Also don't wear running shoes. The spongy sole and raised heel are awful for strength training. Go with skateboard shoes, Keds, Vans, etc. :+1:
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go knee to the ground starting out. I couldn't when I first started doing them. Gradually work your way up.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Maybe try doing a reverse lung with a chair or some sort other thing to support yourself. I understand the fear of falling on ones face - I still have issues with push-ups, I like my teeth :# Sometimes once you get the form right and can focus on something else this eases up the fear.

I remember my first personal training really focusing on balancing exercises because he felt that balance is so important not just for exercise but for life (i.e. old age) because that fear of falling can be a hard one to get past. Take your time and if lunges aren't your thing that is okay as well!

Best wishes!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity which has a lot of lunges too. I started with a smaller range of motion not going as deep in the move and worked from there. I have past knee injuries so maintaining proper alignment was my focus while building the muscles because they support my knees.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It can't be emphasised enough either, with everything requiring balance, really try to engage your core (tense your tummy!) when doing them, it will help more than you can imagine. If I could, I'd have an old dance teacher of mine, during any turning exercise, screeching "hold your core", implanted into every brain. Really works.

I prefer reverse lunges, easier on the knees.
  • torrielewis1991
    torrielewis1991 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I do Insanity which has a lot of lunges too. I started with a smaller range of motion not going as deep in the move and worked from there. I have past knee injuries so maintaining proper alignment was my focus while building the muscles because they support my knees.

I'm doing insanity to many lunges uggg but it's a great booty builder... how far along are you
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It can't be emphasised enough either, with everything requiring balance, really try to engage your core (tense your tummy!) when doing them, it will help more than you can imagine. If I could, I'd have an old dance teacher of mine, during any turning exercise, screeching "hold your core", implanted into every brain. Really works.

I prefer reverse lunges, easier on the knees.
    I suspect a weak core is part of my problem. I recently figured out I have diastasis recti so I have been doing exercises to try to correct that as well.
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I thought I must be ridiculous for not being able to do it, as it seems to be a staple in almost every program I have looked into. I'll definitely look up modifications you all have suggested on Youtube to make sure I am doing them correctly.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    The other thing is that too many programs, classes do too many of them for beginners. Want to avoid DOMS for days?

Start with 5 or 6 on each leg. That's it. Increase 1 or 2 per time until you get up to 12, then add another set but put the reps back down to 6 or 8. Once you can do 3 sets of 12 w/out excessive soreness consider adding some weight.
  • iManifestGoals
    iManifestGoals Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    TRX!!!!! And get some knee supports...love my TRX!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I find lunges hard on my knees, but feel more stable if I do reverse lunges, and split squats are much less demanding on them than lunges full stop. I try and focus on sitting back into the lunge and then pushing up firmly and slowly to come back, as I tend to lean forward excessively and go too fast, and this helps me to not feel so wobbly.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

I would not suggest some random knee support. If someone needs a brace, they should wear a design recommended by a medical professional who has examined the person.

I agree with the others who are saying too much, too soon. Best of luck.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, particularly with Bodypump. I seem to getting a tiny bit better at them by completely ignoring the class tempo for that track, and just focus on doing as many as I comfortably/with good form can. I also don't use weights, and just put my hands on my hips to help with balance.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I would not suggest some random knee support. If someone needs a brace, they should wear a design recommended by a medical professional who has examined the person.

I agree with the others who are saying too much, too soon. Best of luck.

knee support and knee brace are two different things. Sure a brace should be recommended by a PT or dr. But you can get any generic knee sleeve or wrap for some type of compression or warmth and its fine you dont need to be fitted by a Dr. I have a sports bag full of different types , i just wear whatever knee support i need for that workout.

• ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    But when you wear a support wouldn't you agree that your not giving your muscles the work they need to become stronger. Never have any of my physios recommended a knee support.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    But when you wear a support wouldn't you agree that your not giving your muscles the work they need to become stronger. Never have any of my physios recommended a knee support.

no when i wear knee support, i can actually get a better workout because of the compression. for me i feel like the sleeves just hold my joints together and its smoother, nothing pops out of place. I've had pts, trainers and my knee surgeon all say knee sleeves are fine. I'm not talking about the ones with the gears and stuff. I'm just talking about something like a neoprene sleeve. They also keep my knees warm.
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I might be an outlier, but I absolutely hate lunges and don't do them. Ever. For legs/core I do deadlifts, goblet squats, back squats, and hip thrusts. I don't feel like I'm missing out.
  • futureflightnurse
    Options
    I used to HATE lunges. But they were my best friends favorite so I would take one for the team and do them with her. Eventually my quads and hams got stronger and the muscles on the sides of my knees did too so everything got much more stable.