Continuously going over sodium

Options
2»

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a big issue for me as well, though I take a sodium-binder diuretic so it's not as big an issue as it could be, but I like to keep it down anyways.

Some tips would be to rinse tinned items under water [for a lot of them it's the water itself that has the sodium and not the food item itself. Rinsing should reduce the sodium level quite a bit]. Another is to replace salt with other low/salt-free spices [Mrs Dash has quite a few salt-free alternatives, and a recent kickstarted spice maker called Spice Cave has quite a few low-sodium ones]. I also tend to replace some ingredients in recipes with lower sodium variations [unsalted butter for butter, lite soy sauce for soy sauce, etc].
  • dreaming13000
    dreaming13000 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I don't have issues with sodium, but I also try to stay in range due to the unpleasant side of bloating...

It takes a little bit of advanced planning, but I either make dinner in my crockpot (with fresh ingredients rather than pre-packaged kits) or when I have some time on Sundays I make some extra meals from scratch, divide them into reasonable-sized servings and pop them into the freezer for a later date. We're a family of 3--both my husband and I work, and our high school-aged son is a 3-sport athlete, so weeknights are chaos! This way we don't have to rely on prepackaged or takeaway food very often.

I love how organized you are. I want to be this way!

YOU can be. Start working towards that goal now. You will fail at times and other times you will succeed and during this time you'll be up and down, some recipes will suck, won't freeze well etc. but I promise you, over time, as long as you stick to it and keep working towards this end goal, YOU WILL become more organized. As with everything in life, practice makes perfect. My husband and I find it easier and more rewarding to go home and eat well, then to eat out these days. Because we've also learned that standing in the kitchen cooking is a family activity! I'll have my kiddos do their homework, read to me, help out etc. during this time. The recommended amount of sodium set on MFP is actually high in the rest of the world, so even though there are no problems now, there could be in the future! Plus, remember, you are teaching your kids lifelong goals during this season of your life....