What do you think of Planet Fitness?

Options
I'm a student on a college budget and there's a Planet Fitness near my apartment (and campus). The campus does have a gym but only the 4 days a week (Monday-Thursday) that the campus is open which three of those days I have classes almost all day, and the school gym is somewhat small and often crowded with students. I attend a community college. Should I give Planet Fitness a go? I generally lift weights and do cardio HIIT but I'm considering adding more variety and would feel comfortable with more room. I have some free weights and an elliptical. That's it. And my apartment got a bit crammed after adding more furniture and a large study desk.

Replies

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I, personally, don't have an issue with PF. I'm product of what can be accomplished at PF. BUT they are kind of limiting, and they do have "personal trainers". So your going to get out exactly what you put in.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Depends on the PF. Sometimes they have what you need, sometimes they don't. Tour it and make sure they have what you need and find out if the busy time is your normal time. PF can get very crowded so if there's one rack or bench you can wait a while.

Lunk alarm, pizza and tootsie rolls are lame but avoidable.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    VividVegan wrote: »
    I'm a student on a college budget and there's a Planet Fitness near my apartment (and campus). The campus does have a gym but only the 4 days a week (Monday-Thursday) that the campus is open which three of those days I have classes almost all day, and the school gym is somewhat small and often crowded with students. I attend a community college. Should I give Planet Fitness a go? I generally lift weights and do cardio HIIT but I'm considering adding more variety and would feel comfortable with more room. I have some free weights and an elliptical. That's it. And my apartment got a bit crammed after adding more furniture and a large study desk.

It's the gym I use, but I'm not a huge lifter. Their free weights tend to be limited (Most of their locations max out at 50 lb dumb bells, and all machines).

They tend not to be crowded, in my experience, but that really depends on location.

I generally use PF for the mat area to do body weight exercises, and to run when weather is crappy. Works for me, at $10/month.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    They are cheap and you can get a decent workout in.
    Wife and I just switched to PF and she likes it more than I.

I get most of my lifting done at the gym at work so when I'm down there it's mostly for accessory work. With the smith machines, squatting is out, but if for some reason I need to hit legs they have enough variety with the smith and other machines to work the legs.

At $10 a month it's not bad at all.

I don't care about their advertising one way or another.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Price: best around
    Cardio: typically plenty fo machines
    Weights: i think its rare to see p.f. with free weights (except for dumbbells). They have lots of machines but if youre like me then essentially all they have for you is dumbbells and cables.

You can get by at p.f. but you may have to adapt your routine. I always join p.f. in the summer and then go to a gym with free weights after summer (just graduated college). Take a tour decide if you can get by with what they have.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    use the search function, you should see hundreds of threads about planet fitness.

in general i think the reception is overwhelmingly negative.
  • Pam_Shebamm
    Pam_Shebamm Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with it. Most people complain the free weights don't go high enough, but I don't see myself using a 70'lb dumbbell any time soon anyway.

Some of them are really stepping up their game by adding TRX straps, box jump stations, and even monkey bars, but this is dependent on location (mine doesn't do this, but I know people in CT/PA areas who have some of these things included in theirs).

I don't find it to be super crowded other than in the early months of the year.

I keep a membership there in case I'm travelling or trying to work out on a holiday (my main gym only has 4 locations and limited hours on holidays). I like it.

Just don't buy into the whole pizza monday/bagel Tuesday/tootsie roll thing (unless it fits your caloric goals for the day, then who the hell cares? If you're like I was in college, free food is the best food!)
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    I, personally, don't have an issue with PF. I'm product of what can be accomplished at PF. BUT they are kind of limiting, and they do have "personal trainers". So your going to get out exactly what you put in.

Stupid voice to text.... they don't, repeat do not, have personal trainers other than classes.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    3.6 years at planet fitness. I have no issue with it. I left bc I had progressed as far as I could at PF. I needed a bar that was not trapped in a smith. I achieved all of this at PF so I'm a PF girl but happy to be at a gym where I don't draw too much attention and the bar is free from the smith

http://imagecdn.bodybuilding.com/progress-photo/17813097/296ee0b731cd47d883c14653b80720ab-610xh.jpg
  • angryyrobot
    angryyrobot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love Planet Fitness and I have been going there for years. I was at a community college for two years and went while I was there as well. Perfect place for someone on a college budget in my opinion. My current planet fitness has added a lot of cool equipment that I like using for my resistance training but that aspect probably depends on location. Overall, I really love going there and having access to the other Planet Fitness gyms when I travel (I have the black card).
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fatness membership. I mostly do cardio and circuit although my PF does have free weights and squat racks, which I understand is not the norm. I'm not ever likely to want to do classes or group exercises so PF is good for me at $10 a month plus the $79 annual fee. Ours is 24 hours, which I like. I will say though, if you want to work out right after work, God love you. It's so crowded then. but mornings and after 8pm are fine. You just can't get a machine from 5pm-7pm. Especially not from January through May.
  • Tomm88
    Tomm88 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I'v never been so theres something i want to know, is the "lunk alarm" real or just an internet joke?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Some of their practices as a company are unsavory, and they aren't set up for serious lifters. However, given your specific situation, it sounds like a good option. Go for it.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    Tomm88 wrote: »
    I'v never been so theres something i want to know, is the "lunk alarm" real or just an internet joke?

No it's a legit thing. Even though I've never seen it go off. Basically when some bros start slamming weights and grunting and groaning really loudly they make the alarm go off to draw attention to the person doing it. Which is nothing more than a way to embarrass someone ....
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

Yes it's real.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd never join a PF. No pool. :D
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I find it quite ironic that a place that calls itself the "Judgement Free Zone" has a buzzer when someone is judged to not be in compliance or working too hard. They have a bunch of dress code rules too.
  • CincyNeid
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I find it quite ironic that a place that calls itself the "Judgement Free Zone" has a buzzer when someone is judged to not be in compliance or working too hard. They have a bunch of dress code rules too.

The two i frequent is basically,
    No Boots
    No Jeans
    No spaghetti strap tanks
  • NC4REAL
    NC4REAL Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really like PF. I am in the gym every day at 5 am and the staff is very friendly and helpful. I like the fact that no matter what city I travel to, I can find one and not miss a beat. PF have alot of different equipment so I've never had to wait. I've been a member for five years. It works for me because I am able to maintain. I am not trying to be a bodybuilder.

They are decent!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »

They're the most judgmental "judgment free" zone I've ever seen. Total hypocrisy on their part, absolutely ridiculous.