Diets While Sick

Options
I'm 45 days into a LC/K Diet and it's been very effective, but I've managed to get sick. This isn't the keto flu, it's a sinus cold. So do I stick to the diet while I'm sick? And do I need to track the mountains of cold meds?

Replies

• nickisa28
    nickisa28 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I would let it go a little bit until you're better. I don't mean eat whatever you want and pig out but don't be too hard on yourself as your body needs to recover and a few days wont derail you too much. I did the same a few weeks ago. I ended up eating at maintenenance for 3 days so no gain and I just got back to the diet when I felt better. Get well soon X
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    What does your body tell you to do? Or moreover your doctor? If you want, up the calories or to maintenance for a few days/week until you are better.

If you want to track liquid cold medicines/over the counter stuff that have calories you can. I really think when the body is sick, calories should be the last thing one thinks about in my opinion.

One thing to think about, are you by chance getting sick because you are on a diet or particular diet that is not nutritionally balanced? If you get sick regularly and this is normal, that is fine, just something to think about.
  • alienws1998
    alienws1998 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    nickisa28 wrote: »
    I would let it go a little bit until you're better. I don't mean eat whatever you want and pig out but don't be too hard on yourself as your body needs to recover and a few days wont derail you too much. I did the same a few weeks ago. I ended up eating at maintenenance for 3 days so no gain and I just got back to the diet when I felt better. Get well soon X

Thank you! I don't plan on eating a whole carton of ice cream or anything dumb, I just want to bombard my immune system with vitamin c. This is gonna mean a lot of fruits and veggies. I'll stay away from potatoes, pastas, breads and the like I just know with that much fruit I'll probably kill my carb count. I just want to strengthen my immune system to fight the cold. Do I need to track cold meds? I read somewhere that Nyquil has a lot of sugar in it.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you're mostly concerned about Vitamin C and the carbs you will be eating to get an overload of it, I would opt for Vitamin C supplements.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Vitamin C isn't actually going to help a cold, that's an old wives' tale. Having enough in your system before you get the cold might make the symptoms disappear more quickly but even that is minimal. While the cold is full blown it's not going to do anything at all.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/vitamin-c-for-common-cold

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/common-cold/in-depth/cold-remedies/art-20046403?pg=2

Now zinc can help if you take it at the very, very beginning of a cold (the point when you're just starting to get the sore throat and nose tingle) and then throughout but I know if I don't catch it right at the beginning that the effects are minimal. I usually take Zicam as soon as I feel one coming on and it really does seem to lessen the severity of the symptoms for me.