Eating clean? Open diary? Add me!

Options
kiomami
kiomami Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Hi everyone! I'm looking for new friends with open diaries that try to eat as clean as possible. Please feel free to add me. We can share recipes and motivation.

Replies

• AlabamaMama224
    AlabamaMama224 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    What does eating clean mean?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what is "clean eating" to you? Why not just focus on eating nutritionally dense foods you like, in sensible amounts, when you are hungry? That takes no "motivation", because you are doing, you know, what you want.
  • Dayle1984
    Dayle1984 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My diary is open if you'd like to add me. But fair warning I eat almost the same thing every day, with the exception of dinner, so it may get boring quick! :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't try to "eat clean" because I don't know what it means. I try to eat a healthful diet and mostly cook from whole foods and eat lots of veg and fruits, however--just started logging again, more in my diary from 2014 or early 2015. Don't know how interesting it would be to anyone else, though.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Beautiful sheltie!
  • kiomami
    Options
    By clean eating I meant reducing processed foods and eating fruits, vegetables and protein in their most natural form.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    So raw then?
  • kiomami
    Options
    I'm not on a raw diet, but I do eat a lot of raw foods. Most proteins are cooked, of course, because I'm not veg.
  • kiomami
    Options
    What does eating clean mean?

Eating whole foods.
  • kiomami
    Options
    Beautiful sheltie!

Thanks!
  • kiomami
    Options
    Yeah, what is "clean eating" to you? Why not just focus on eating nutritionally dense foods you like, in sensible amounts, when you are hungry? That takes no "motivation", because you are doing, you know, what you want.

That's exactly what I'm doing.
  • caradack1985
    caradack1985 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    But if you're eating foods in their most natural form then you'd be eating them raw. Or is processing ok so long as you're the one doing it?
  • BigBadVanna
    BigBadVanna Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't know why everyone gets so riled up over semantics. I eat (mostly) whole foods, but like a previous poster, I eat identical meals everyday during the week. You can add me!

P.S. - love your Sheltie! I have a Rough Collie. I love these breeds - sweet, smart, and glamour for days!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    I don't know why everyone gets so riled up over semantics. I eat (mostly) whole foods, but like a previous poster, I eat identical meals everyday during the week. You can add me!

P.S. - love your Sheltie! I have a Rough Collie. I love these breeds - sweet, smart, and glamour for days!

Because eating clean has 1000 definitions. What's "clean" to me, is filthy to the next.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Most people have a pretty clear idea what clean eating means.
  • Alienique
    Alienique Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Aside from one or two days out of the week (like today) where my sweet tooth decides to poke out and sink itself into everything cavity-causing, I tend to eat pretty clean and simple (e.g., whole grains, veggies, eggs, bit of dairy here and there, and LOTS of fruits). Carbs are my highest macro (though relatively low compared to most people whose diaries I've stalked on here) and fat is my lowest (and quite low, at that).
    In any case, I've maintained my current weight - as is my goal - for over 2 years, so I must be doing something right.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I don't know why everyone gets so riled up over semantics.

The questions aren't because we are "riled up." I don't care for the term "clean eating" and won't use it for myself, but given the huge variety of ways that people define it you really have to know what OP means to be able to answer the question. Same when people ask for ideas about "clean" desserts or recipes or whatever. You don't know if they mean without sugar, without grains, raw, plant based, paleo, no "junk food" (and what they mean by that) and so on. So I ask (nicely, I think) what they mean and share what I do.

I tend to focus on nutrition and cook from whole foods most of the time, and eat lots of vegetables, etc., so tend to be interested in the same kinds of discussions as many who self identify as "clean eaters," and I think I'd have some worthwhile input for someone new to doing these things (and my diary might be helpful too, who knows). However, I don't eschew "processed foods" -- for example, I think smoked salmon is affirmatively helpful in meeting my nutrition goals -- and I do eat some foods with added sugar like ice cream (and various similar alternatives). I don't think the latter should make my diary or input unhelpful for someone new to cooking from whole foods or eating more vegetables or someone else experienced in it but interested in sharing ideas and talking nutrition or how to keep yourself on track, but I AM aware that some really do define "clean eating" restrictively and for whatever reason only want to find people who think just like them, which would not be me. Far more claim to cut out "processed foods" but don't include most processed foods as processed (there's a book about this called Unprocessed, which I might read: http://megankimble.com/unprocessed/) or by "clean eating" really just mean improving their diet in some way, without being purist about it.
  • kchartinc
    kchartinc Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I try to eat whole foods I prepare myself most of the time, but like many, I still fall prey to my relentless sweet tooth from time to time. But anyways, feel free to add! :)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Most people have a pretty clear idea what clean eating means.

I really don't. Does it permit grains? That's a big one. Do you claim to cut out ALL processed foods (so no yogurt, canned beans, smoked salmon)? Do you mean you mostly try to do whatever or are trying to improve or do you mean you NEVER eat whatever it is you don't eat?

Lots of people seem to mean they cut out fast food and pre-packaged meals (which I never ate and still don't), MOSTLY cook from whole foods, focus on eating vegetables and fruit and protein from whole food sources, limit added sugar, prefer whole grains to not, and generally focus on nutrition. If that's so -- or if they mean a vaguely Michael Pollan sort of thing -- that's how I eat, which is why I often think I have something to say in these discussions, but I'd say I'm NOT a clean eater (but so many who self identify as such seem to do the same things I do that I think disqualify me, so who knows).

Mostly it seems like the difference between "clean" eaters and not is just whether you like the label, so if what the OP is asking is for people who like the label, that would be the question to ask! Maybe get rid of the questions.